Materials needed for Dixie Railing

Derek

Sep 8, 2015, 10:03:16 PM9/8/15
to Arch Reactor
This is the bill of materials for our first railing of choice at Dixie.  There are ways to trim down, but this is where we'd like to start.  If you have any of the materials, know of someone or have a way to procure at a cheaper cost please let me know.
Thank you,
Derek Sigler

4x4 8 ' Pressure Treated 6 $6.97 $41.82 http://tinyurl.com/pmynkh5
42" Treated Deck Baluster  170 0.88 $149.60 http://tinyurl.com/p5rkcwo
2x4x12'  pressure treated 8 4.98 $39.84 http://tinyurl.com/oathll2
2x4x8'  pressure treated 4 2.67 $10.68 http://tinyurl.com/kovryhk
5# 2 1/2 deck screws 1 29.98 $29.98 http://tinyurl.com/ors3baa
4x4 fence post 11 11.62 $127.82 http://tinyurl.com/nhjjfjy
1/21/2 in. x 3-3/4 in.  Wedge Anchors  1 18.64 $18.64 http://tinyurl.com/ngfx3l3

Brad Tissi

Sep 9, 2015, 2:12:55 AM9/9/15
to Arch Reactor
All joking aside, a circular saw can cut the plywood of those pallets and leave 10.5ft 4x4s with a 4" strip of plywood on one side.
Cut the strip a bit wider and leave it as a 10" bar table for the top rail as well.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Sep 9, 2015, 3:13:14 AM9/9/15
to Arch Reactor
The restore may have some of these items. I'll check there tomorrow.

Gene

Chris Weiss

Sep 9, 2015, 9:29:00 AM9/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
"4x4 fence post" should say "4x4 post base", I thought it was doubling up the 8' 4x4s until i clicked.

I do have some treated 4x4's, but they are not 8' and are previously used but in good shape.  they are also painted poorly, so they'd need repainted, not just stained/sealed.  I don't think I have enough for 11 4' sections, but added to other found materials and painted to match it could be usable.

the pallets have heat treated wood, which means no bugs, but not pressure treated which means it'll rot faster than if it were.  diligent sealing can prolong that, so if that's something we want to add to annual maintenance then that can save nearly $200 up front but end up spending more in paint/sealant later. we can also rip cut some to 2x4's. not easy with a portable saw, and still not pleasant with a good table saw.  I do have a 10" circular saw with guide that would make relatively quick work of it though.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Sep 11, 2015, 9:12:42 PM9/11/15
to Arch Reactor
The Restore in Collinsville, Illinois was a complete bust. They didn't even have the screws.