State of the Shop

travis...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2018, 1:51:13 PM4/13/18
to Arch Reactor
Since I somehow became shopmaster I've decided I should do updates for the shop as a whole instead of just the wood portion.

As with everything at Arch Reactor the shop is in a continuous state of improvement. The biggest news is that the saw stop is working. Many things have moved around, new tools have been added and we are working on organization. I know I need to do a tour of where all the tools have moved since I started the cleaning initiative.

Myles and I have been creating a To Do / Wishlist doc so everyone can see what we are thinking and we can track who is taking each project on. See the link below.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15O1vSQ_wt-wXFbQQuHc6h3M8TOQPa8hANL3pQED3gfk/edit?usp=sharing

We are certainly open to suggestions and help.

Hroller McKnutt

Apr 13, 2018, 2:08:55 PM4/13/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Second tombstone welder? If mine is no longer needed I'll take it home.

Mike

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

travis...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2018, 2:31:21 PM4/13/18
to Arch Reactor
I will openly admit that I have limited metal knowledge and absolutely no idea who owns what in the shop unless it has initials on it.

As to the welders, I know we have bunch of them but only 2 seem to be in proper working order, 1 tig and 1 stick. I'm guessing the one we were talking about moving out of the space is the one without any cables.

Myles Farrell

Apr 13, 2018, 2:38:41 PM4/13/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We actually have 5 welders currently. Mike's Tombstone stick welder, a second donated stick welder, Brian's stick welder, Sam's MIG, and Ryan's TIG. Here is a run down on each:

Mike's Tombstone: Perfect Working order and the strongest amperage wise
Donated Tombstone: donated, no leads, working order unknown. The plan was to borrow the leads off mike's to check functionality and then put it on Craigslist starting at $100 unless mike you want yours back.
Brian's: Works but weakest stick welder and duplicate capability. Headed home
Sam's MIG: Working order
Ryan's TIG: working order

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM, <travis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will openly admit that I have limited metal knowledge and absolutely no idea who owns what in the shop unless it has initials on it.

As to the welders, I know we have bunch of them but only 2 seem to be in proper working order, 1 tig and 1 stick. I'm guessing the one we were talking about moving out of the space is the one without any cables.

Diane

Apr 13, 2018, 2:54:25 PM4/13/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
FYI, Tony and I are working on a project currently taking up a shop table. It’s heavily weighted down so the glue can dry. We’ll be back to work on it more on Saturday.

image1.jpeg

Hroller McKnutt

Apr 13, 2018, 3:01:21 PM4/13/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm all good to continue the loan of mine, I didn't know we had a second tombstone is all.

I need to learn to tig weld. ;)

Mike

Andrew Ricke

Chris Weiss

Apr 13, 2018, 3:51:29 PM4/13/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I saw a Drill Press Mortise bit the other day, not sure if it was a full kit or not.  was in a pile that was being sorted by a couple people in front of the barn doors

Diane

Apr 13, 2018, 4:44:32 PM4/13/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It looks a little better in the picture than in real life but if the glue and heavy things take care of the warping side boards we’ll be good.  Will find out tomorrow!

Diane  <*>

travis...@gmail.com

May 2, 2018, 1:53:39 PM5/2/18
to Arch Reactor
UPDATE:

I'm going to try to give updates regularly. Please check the TO DO list for other items.

1. Sawstop is is powered. Works like a dream. Please take the class and avoid setting of the safety feature.

2. Old table saw is in the way and going to be for sale. The Sargent at Arms is busy and tasked me with the sale. Members get first dibs and a discount before craigslist. First to $100 gets it (unless you are super slow to pick it up)

3. Long wood lathe also for sale. Same deal, $25 gets it. Motor included, needs a belt and to be mounted to a table. Full disclosure, the ways are just bars and flex when in use.

4. Router lift is installed in the saw stop and ready to use. If someone locates the handle please return it to the table saw accessory bucket under the saw. DO NOT MODIFY THE SAW STOP FENCE! We will have a router specific fence in the future.

5. The area around the double doors is now a "Hardware store." If you need hardware, it should be in this area.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: get the buckets, bins etc onto the appropriate shelves, they are labeled. I don't have the time to do it.
Nuts, bolts, screws, rivets, etc are in the grey cabinet to the west. Large items are to the east. Casters, drawer slides, shelf brackets, other misc items, etc should be on the rolling wire frame shelf. The electrical shelf has be reorganized w/ vertical conduit storage. There is also a dedicated automotive shelf, it includes the pneumatic tools for the time being until a better location can be found.

6. People have been keeping at least 1 shop table clean. You should feel proud, this is a big deal.

Upcoming:
I'm getting super busy at work and it is warm outside so I am going to be working on my home and will have limited time at the space. (Consider this me pleading for help)
1. Trash pile to city dump. I have not be able to coordinate this. Several people have offered to help but I cannot remember who. Is anyone willing to take lead on this? The city gives 1 free monthly dump run to a resident with a water bill. We have plenty of people with trucks and trailers we just need to get it coordinated.
2. Power back to the dust collector - just 1 conduit run. Easy and fast, you can do it, I have faith in you.
3. Loaner tool area for tools members can take home and complete projects. Located under the bench next to the west shop door. The generator, chainsaws and other tools we do not have a regular use for will be stored here. I will also be taking some of the small spare tool boxes and outfitting them to complete 90% of home projects. I may orange plasti dip all eligible loaner tools so we can ID them. NOTE: The red rolling tool box belongs to a member and is NOT for loan.

Robert Ward

May 2, 2018, 1:57:32 PM5/2/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, as someone who doesn't get to the space or keep up with things as much as I'd like, updates like this are really nice to see!

travis...@gmail.com

May 29, 2018, 1:26:36 PM5/29/18
to Arch Reactor
UPDATE:

We had a very large donation Friday that included a horizontal metal band saw and plastic injection molding machine along with a ton of materials. I'm very excited about this donation. Thanks to everyone that helped unload and to Jim and his company.

We also have more equipment on order. Now for the bad news, all the new items in the shop have filled it and we are running out of room until we find more storage solutions. We are on the clock until the new equipment shows up and have to find room pronto.

What does all this mean:
1. I will be getting aggressive on cleaning up the shop. I have not given out a single parking ticket yet and that will be changing.
Anything left out over a week will have to move. I picked a week because I can not think of anything that takes more than a week to cure. I intend on there being some white board off cuts that can be used for a quick label on projects in progress, add a name and a date. If you don't label it, you refuse your right to be angry when I assume it is abandon and respond accordingly.
2. The classroom is almost complete so I will NOT do our standard "random shit shuffle" and just fill any horizontal surface. Having at least 1 room that is presentable would really help.
3. The shelves for unsorted donations in the storage area will be used accordingly. And at least 1 shelf will be claimed for raw materials that are rarely used. The shelves on the west side of the storage room were intended for space owned items so if you have anything there please find another home.

The battle royale begins tonight!

TLDR: Too much mess not enough time. If its not labeled I'm assuming its fair game to move/trash/whatever I feel like.

Myles Farrell

May 29, 2018, 1:56:41 PM5/29/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Derek an I did manage to make a dump run saturday which freed up some space as well. We have another load worth that needs to go if anyone has as an unused run every month or a truck that might be able to help that would be helpful.

travis...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2018, 3:07:30 PM6/20/18
to Arch Reactor
UPDATE:

IMPORTANT- Small white board tags are on the counter next to the shop door for shop use. Label your projects with your NAME and DATE. If it is not labeled it will be parking ticketed on day 1. As you should know anything parking ticketed is impounded after a week and sold/trashed after 3. This may seem drastic but the goal is to help improve communication in the shop.

We have been trying to figure out a way to counteract all the confusion in the shop and the major cause seems to be a lack of communication. If you must move a project just let the owner know, simple right. Multiple members have told me they avoid cleaning due to fear of messing with someone's project. I believe this because I've personally almost thrown away projects in the course of cleaning since I assumed it was scrap wood. Things get shuffled in the shop a lot, a label should help ensure all your project parts stay together. It should also keep your personal tools from being assimilated into the spaces.

If you don't have time to label your project do you really have time to do it over? This little change should help improve shop cleanliness, personal accountability and reduce the number of lost project items.

So here is the really big news. Build night was rather successful thanks to everyone the helped.
So whats new
1. Vertical metal storage rack next to the metal lathe.
2. Cleaned a spot for the CNC router. Parts are starting to ship so this must stay clean.
3. Power run to the large dust collector again.
4. Dust collection is partially extended to the future CNC router.
5. Power to CNC router and compressor area in progress.
6. Non official expansion to the starving maker program. Items on the table next to the front door are FREE. These are things that we either have triplicates of or no use for.

travis...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2018, 1:32:21 AM7/19/18
to Arch Reactor
Its time for the monthly update.

Basically no physical progress was made. A lot of partial projects were taken on and almost none were completed. Tables are full again, no progress on sorting the last little bit of donations, and nothing stays clutter free over a week. Some more tools have entered the space but they are not ready to use while we wait on parts. The to do list just keeps getting longer.

Things need to be "put away", not "put out of your way".

Tom Blevins

Jul 19, 2018, 10:01:52 AM7/19/18
to Arch Reactor
This to me is a sign of an active and growing shop. If everything stayed clean then I think that'd be bad news.
-Tom B

eAddict

Jul 19, 2018, 10:11:48 AM7/19/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You can have clean and active.  Does not have to be exclusive.  I think back to the Kansas City Maker Space as an example..

Derek Sigler

Jul 19, 2018, 12:26:44 PM7/19/18
to Arch Reactor
OK.  As I may have a little free time next week.  I'll bite.  :)

In two hours chunks, what are the top 3 tasks you'd like to see done promptly?

Thanks,
-derek

travis...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2018, 1:49:41 PM7/19/18
to Arch Reactor
Derek Thanks for the offer, here are the big 3.
1. Myles needs another set of hands on the air compressor. Talk with him.
2. The tables near the overhead doors need to be clean before CNC router assembly can begin.
3. The small pile of donations near the double doors needs to be sorted and put on the correct hardware shelves and bins. BTW the recycle bin is a fine place to file things in.

Kyle Sowards

Jul 19, 2018, 1:54:16 PM7/19/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have free time next week; I would love to be able to come in and help as well if there are some coordinated times.

// Sent from K. Joseph Sowards’ iPhone
Any errors are unintentional

travis...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 11:34:21 PM8/9/18
to Arch Reactor
I want to thank the few people that attended the business meeting and cleaned the shop in my absence. I saw it last night and was very pleased. I consider the shop cleaned up to a semi acceptable state which is a significant improvement. The majority of gigantic messes have been picked up. Tools are sorta in the general area that they belong. And fewer incomplete projects are sitting about.

After 8 months of cleaning I've come to realize that my attempts to clean by myself are futile so I'm changing my strategy. I will be focusing on shop infrastructure instead.

I was told some people are looking for volunteer opportunities. Check the link in the first post for items waiting to be done.

travis...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2018, 2:28:42 PM9/5/18
to Arch Reactor
Time for the monthly shop update.

Over the next month we have several groups of professionals touring the space. Translation: THE SPACE MUST LOOK PROFESSIONAL.

Everything is in decent shape thanks to the hard work of the volunteers. Do not fuck up their efforts. We have cameras now, you will be caught. We can keep everything nice with minimal work.

The messes are the highest priority items now:
Clean the front (first impressions are the most important thing)
Clean off the hand tool bench
Move the light fixture donation to a better place
Keep the worktables clear, Harry Potter wands will be moved after they cure
Completion of the air compressor

I am not saying don't use the shop, I am just saying please make sure you are not leaving a mess. I know for fact that it is possible to leave in progress projects so that they do not look as filthy as music festival bathrooms.

I am super excited about the clean counters in the tool storage area. Almost as excited as I am about all the new members from last night. New members looking for volunteer opportunities can check the spreadsheet in the 1st post. Special thanks to the people that have brought the shop as far as it has come.

travis...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2018, 2:16:44 PM9/14/18
to Arch Reactor
Thank you everyone who helped clean up. We should be able to keep everything clean now that the really heavy lifting has been done.

We have 1 more group coming in to tour next week and I would like to keep making progress. After the metal side is cleaned up, tool shadowing will be the next step towards continued shop cleanliness.

Tonight people are building the table for our 4x8 cnc router.

The tool tracker is live and if you own a tool in the space please let me know so we can get it properly logged. If you have a tool you wish to include in the loaner program please let me know so we can complete that portion of the tracker.

Chris Weiss

Sep 14, 2018, 3:13:54 PM9/14/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Something I learned last night, the metal lathe is all back together and fully operational!  woo!

Myles Farrell

Sep 14, 2018, 3:21:22 PM9/14/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yes it is. Sorry I thought that was general knowledge. Big shout out to Caleb and Travis for putting it back together and figuring out the problems. Caleb also tore down the one shot oiler on the bridgeport this week, cleaned and degummed, and reassembled it so that is now working as well.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Something I learned last night, the metal lathe is all back together and fully operational!  woo!

travis...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2018, 12:10:28 AM9/28/18
to Arch Reactor
Thank you everyone for keeping things as clean as you have been. We can start tool shadowing the wood side.

Full members, the tool tracker is live on sanctum.

Diane

Oct 8, 2018, 11:36:52 PM10/8/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On May 29, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Myles Farrell <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Derek an I did manage to make a dump run saturday which freed up some space as well. We have another load worth that needs to go if anyone has as an unused run every month or a truck that might be able to help that would be helpful.

I renewed my lease a month or so ago on my city apartment and just received my copy of it. Per the last rules I knew of the dump I can show up with my lease and a load and we can dump. I don’t have a vehicle but I’m willing to ride along if somebody has a truck and just needs a city resident who has no plans to go there herself.

Diane <*>

Myles Farrell

Oct 9, 2018, 8:50:06 AM10/9/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You must pay the water/refuse bill as well, not simply be a city resident. In my experience the water/refuse bill is always rolled into the rent as the city makes it such a pain to change it into tenant's names that it isn't worth it for anyone.

Nathan Schrenk

Oct 9, 2018, 12:19:37 PM10/9/18
to Arch Reactor
What if I don't live in the city but I pay the water/trash bill for a property in the city? Can I use the dump? What documentation would I need to show?

Myles is correct that property owners who lease apartments in the city typically pay the water and trash bill and then roll the cost into the rent for two reasons that I'm aware, and neither of them is due to the city making it a pain to change the bill into the tenant's name. The first reason is that the property owner is still liable for the bill if the tenant doesn't pay it, so it's safe for the owner to increase the rent and pay the bill directly rather than being surprised with a big bill at some future date due to the tenant not paying. The second is that the multi-unit buildings I'm familiar with only get one water & trash bill per address, so if you have a first floor and second floor apartment, both are billed on the same account and instead of having the tenants need to cooperate to pay it, it's easiest for the owner to pay it and bill the tenants their share.

Myles Farrell

Oct 9, 2018, 2:39:38 PM10/9/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nathan I don't know how this works if you own property, but don't live at the address. I've had been told the reason for the trash to be incorporated into rent was it was a pain to change it, but your reasons make better sense.

As for what you need to show, in theory you need a confirmation you paid your last water bill on the 3 month cycle. I say in theory because the lady at the south city one has given me grief every time I've gone that I don't have the correct paperwork. However what I need seems to change every time, along with what is acceptable to drop off. Two times ago I grabbed the wrong receipt, it was for two cycles ago. She had to have her boss come out and ok an exemption for me and the next 3 people as they didn't have the correct stuff either. So there is obviously a lot of confusion among residents as to what is acceptable. While he was giving me an exemption he said he would let me go, but they weren't suppose to accept construction debris, just "house hold trash". I was like "really because the cops on nextdoor and the newspapers reporting on illegal dumping are saying you can come here once a month with construction debris, please don't fill the regular dumpsters". Last time I literally showed her the confirmation email they sent me when I paid online. She said that wasn't good enough because it didn't have my name or address on it. She didn't really like my reply of it wasn't my fault or my problem that their requested confirmation paperwork didn't have the information they wanted when it was sent to me from them.

This is in contrast to the one in North city were they barely glance over the paperwork, but occasionally will harass you about coming to the north city one if your property is south of 64.

So in summary it is a usual city government shit show. It is complete moving target on what acceptable paperwork is and what you can dump. Both really seem to depend on which employee is working the gate and their particular mood that day.

Chris Weiss

Oct 9, 2018, 2:59:17 PM10/9/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I would expect that getting a multi-unit building's water bill split up into multiple names is a pain the way the city runs things.

Nathan Schrenk

Oct 9, 2018, 9:32:56 PM10/9/18
to Arch Reactor
Chris,

I don't think it's even possible via City policy to get the water bill for multiple units at the same street number split up into multiple names. If you have a multi-unit 2-story or 3-story building with 1 street number for each two or three units (e.g. 1st floor, 2nd floor, 3rd floor) you get 1 water bill for each street number. A typical 4-unit building gets 2 water bills and 2 sewer bills and I don't think you can split it further. Maybe there's some way to have multiple water meters for the same street number but the old buildings I'm familiar with don't have that, and some old buildings don't even have water meters and are charged a flat rate by the city water department.

Nathan

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:59 PM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would expect that getting a multi-unit building's water bill split up into multiple names is a pain the way the city runs things.

Frank Kallal

Oct 10, 2018, 4:57:39 AM10/10/18
to Arch Reactor
Do you have to be the Person Named on the water bill?

My Mother has two Houses in South City that are not in use currently.  I could ask for Copies of the Bills if that is something we can make work.

Frank

travis...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2018, 11:31:41 AM10/17/18
to Arch Reactor
So I have no idea what has happened in the last 2 weeks but the mess is back. After the last business meeting all shop tables were clean, the counters were clean, and the woodworking bench had 1 tidy and labeled project on it. As of last night none of it was clean. And the most confusing part is that it just seems to be trash, there is so much small clutter I can't even award it a parking ticket. I'm almost ready to shovel it out the back door and light it on fire so it can never sully the shop tables again. But I will give it a week in case it is something critical.

Please keep the shop tables usable, anything else is just disrespectful to all the other members.

Also, last nights build night was a "successful failure." We only had 1 person say they were going to attend so there was no way to properly plan. However I saw many enthusiastic new faces in the space last night. They all seemed like a lot of fun and have a lot of potential. Unfortunately I was busy with a weather dependent project so I wasn't able to properly steer that enthusiasm. I handed out small tasks to individuals instead of 1 large group project that we prefer with build night. There was also a conflict with a class so we could not have built the classroom wall as intended anyway.

travis...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2018, 1:58:57 PM12/5/18
to Arch Reactor
UPDATE:

The good news:
Real progress is being made with the CNC router.
The wood shop almost looks like a functional wood shop. Thank you to the people that made a new outfeed table.

The bad news:
As is the rule of Arch Reactor, 1 step forward 2 steps back.
Both lasers were taken out of commission by a plethora of issues including fire
We are missing a multimax and dewalt battery, the budget is already thin and we can not replace these things.
The mortiser shows evidence of use but set up was completely wrong so who knows what happened.
Somebody did a job on the band saw, like seriously I hope you are ok. Judging from the damage that could've easily maimed you but I didn't see any blood so I guess you escaped this time. We teach classes for a reason.

Whats next?
Option 1: I throw my hands up in frustration and let you all injure yourselves and just write it off as Darwin at work.
Option 2: The community starts to behave responsibly. And I take on projects longer project to improve the space that won't frustrate me so much as fixing the same tool somebody manages to break every month.

At the moment there is a lot of talk about improvements but I'm seeing very little action on it. Also it is about time for a fire for all the small wood that isn't an expensive exotic.

Travis

Frank Kallal

Dec 5, 2018, 2:27:24 PM12/5/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Base on your "two Steps Back" section.. I think it's time to Overrule the "I don't like Camera's" Folks and break down and Put them in place so that all tools are Covered in some fashion.

It's time we stop trusting folks to be honest and Report when they do something wrong and Break something, or even not realizing they are doing something wrong and not realizing they are breaking things.  IE "Fire" / theft / Maimed   I mean worst Case scenario we catch an accident on camera and have video evidence for Insurance purposes.

Frank

Myles Farrell

Dec 5, 2018, 2:45:46 PM12/5/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I echo the hope that whoever damaged the band saw is OK. The damage looked exactly like the damage done when I took a short cut in high school on a band saw and came a quarter of an inch from losing two fingers. Only have them through dumb luck.

There is now a camera in the woodshop and on the lasers. The problem with cameras is you need to know when it happened. It was two weeks before we realized the battery was taken instead of simply set down in a weird place. This means it had been overwritten. The band saw is a little narrower time frame, but it is still between Tuesday and Sunday. Watching 120 hours of film even on fast forward is kind of impractical. The real and better solution would be to finish the RFID card readers on each machine so the user of the machine is logged and those who have not been trained can be locked out. Then set a policy of tampering or bypassing the readers is grounds for immediate dismissal. Running the Ethernet cord for the readers has been on the docket for the last few build nights, however attendance at build nights lately has been abysmal. I think the average for the last few months has been 3 individuals. One month it was just Nathan and I and he stated he was going to be late because of another commitment, when no one else showed up in the first 30 minutes I called Nathan to cancel and went and worked on my own house. This same group is trying to run power to the compressor and router table, build the 4th wall of the classroom, and assemble the router itself...

Chris Weiss

Dec 5, 2018, 3:10:02 PM12/5/18
to Arch Reactor
is motion detection recording on these cameras that bad?

Ann Johnson

Dec 5, 2018, 4:32:14 PM12/5/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What was the damage done to the bandsaw?  I was using it recently (I think last Wednesday, or maybe last Saturday) and it was working fine. I am hoping that I didn't do something to it without realizing?

travis...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2018, 4:54:16 PM12/5/18
to Arch Reactor
The fence looks like it was hit with the blade and the aluminum insert was badly bent downward. The current fence is not of the highest quality but it is factory standard. I'm hoping to replace it with something more rigid. Inserts tend to wear out just from blade drift and have to be replaced to prevent tear out.

The damage is not severe but what is scary is what causes this type of damage to an insert. It typically is caused by some kind of small part or round stock catching on the blade and being violently flung about accompanied with very loud noises. The blade could break, the piece itself could injure the operator or worse yet pull the operator's body parts in contact with the blade. The blade currently on it will go through a 2x4 as fast as a miter saw so even a minor mistake could have permanent repercussions. Needless to say you would recognize this type of event, after you experience it once you will never forget.

Nathan Schrenk

Dec 5, 2018, 4:54:58 PM12/5/18
to Arch Reactor
On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
is motion detection recording on these cameras that bad?

I think the NVR is currently set to just continuously record on all cameras. I haven't looked into the motion detection, but I imagine it's passable, but must be configured. One issue I've experienced with relying only on motion detection in the past is that the recording misses the beginning of some activity even when you set it to record several seconds before detecting motion, probably because the buffer on the recording device isn't big enough to buffer that much data for all connected cameras.

I've used a different model of NVR from the same brand as ours (Q-See) where you could set up motion detection and continuous recording on the same camera and see an indication in the playback interface of when motion events were detected. I don't believe I have the credentials to access the NVR configuration, but this seems like something you could explore with webmaster Travis if you are interested in improving the workflow for reviewing the camera footage. I'd also be happy to look into configuring it if the credentials were shared with me.

Nathan

Ann Johnson

Dec 5, 2018, 8:53:13 PM12/5/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nothing like that occurred when I was using it, I'm very grateful to say.

EschewObfuscation

Dec 7, 2018, 2:06:05 AM12/7/18
to Arch Reactor
It is frustrating to see slow start response on motion activation; I've fiddled w such myself on occasion.

But if you think about it, a few seconds of lag isn't really a problem for our application. Even if we miss someone walking up to a tool, it's unlikely the accident/abuse/whatever happens in the split second they reach it. Maybe 15 minutes in, for all we know. But most likely at the end of the recording, if they're done or dissuaded from further use by an... "unexpected event".

I'd think motion detection would probably give at least a 10:1 storage advantage, maybe more.

But beyond all that, consider the panopticon effect; the presence of the cameras will likely make them unnecessary. Remove them and they'll become necessary again. Humans. doh!

travis...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2019, 1:17:34 PM1/15/19
to Arch Reactor
UPDATE:
The shop has stayed fairly clean over the last month. The tables have been heavily used as multiple members long term projects have been nearing completion. I would like to remind everyone to please leave a note with the owner and date. The system has been working well so far but people do occasionally forget. As an added bonus I haven't discovered anything newly broken so hooray everyone. If we keep this up we will see significant improvements in the space in short order. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to more efficiently use the space so more projects can be worked on simultaneously.

A lot of people have been looking for volunteer opportunities. I copied the link to the "shop to do list" from the first post below. There are also many nearly complete space improvements that need to be attended to as well. Find something that tickles your fancy and we can make arrangements.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15O1vSQ_wt-wXFbQQuHc6h3M8TOQPa8hANL3pQED3gfk/edit?usp=sharing

The next shop improvements will be a lot of wiring. Particularly routing overhead power drops and Ethernet for tool lockouts and cameras . We have a lot of new tools just waiting on power such as the long bed jointer, compressor, and planer.

I want to thank Ed for taking so many photos of the equipment. I took a first pass at making a new wood shop page but I would appreciate some help making it look better than a grade school word project.
https://archreactor.org/shop-equipment

montez....@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2019, 1:07:19 PM1/20/19
to Arch Reactor
I've got a few delinquent hours of volunteer time to put in. I've noticed that one item on the high-priority section of the shop to-do list is to implement some sort of dust collection for the planer. I can start doing something on that front this weekend if you want to let me know a little of what you have in mind in terms of a solution. If you've got a preference for some other items on the list, just let me know.

pandam...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2019, 8:31:20 AM1/21/19
to Arch Reactor
I've been working on that one for the past few weeks. Essentially it is done. Rolled some steel tube and welded a 16 Ga replacement dust collector port (the original plastic one broke in a few places and was beyond repair). All that is left is running it back and forth between the planer and the metal area to test fit and add/shave metal where appropriate to perfect the fit, then a coat of paint. I'm going to spray it with the next coat for my table/bench project. Pictures will be up on Sanctum.

montez....@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2019, 10:13:24 PM1/26/19
to Arch Reactor
Was in the shop today and saw dust collector that you'd fabricated. It looks great! I need to learn how to do that kind of metal work. I worked on a solution for the sawdust coming from the miter saw and ended up adding a vacuum port to the backsplash of the table and putting together a shroud to direct the sawdust into the intake. As an added bonus, the folks can just sweep dust from the adjoining tables into the trough that the saw sits in and the vacuum should get most of it. There's likely some room for improvement on the design, so consider what's there as a kind of prototype of a full solution.

Justin Choi

Jan 27, 2019, 12:48:52 PM1/27/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I’m iffy about grinding it down some more to allow the port to point a little more upwards. It clears the planer bed as-is though. The whole thing is offset a little lower so that down the line, if there’s a transition to a larger dust collector, there’s more room to fit a larger cylinder. The original had a 5” port, but we’ve got ~4.5” fittings.

Anyway, Sam convinced me to give a try on powdercoating it, so it’ll be naked until Tuesday, assuming both our schedules line up.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 21:13, montez....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Was in the shop today and saw dust collector that you'd fabricated. It looks great! I need to learn how to do that kind of metal work. I worked on a solution for the sawdust coming from the miter saw and ended up adding a vacuum port to the backsplash of the table and putting together a shroud to direct the sawdust into the intake. As an added bonus, the folks can just sweep dust from the adjoining tables into the trough that the saw sits in and the vacuum should get most of it. There's likely some room for improvement on the design, so consider what's there as a kind of prototype of a full solution.

Myles Farrell

Jan 29, 2019, 5:44:24 PM1/29/19
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I know our powder coating gun does not have the strength to put a enough potential onto a part that size. I tried one of similar mass this time last year and it ended up spotty and thin. I don't know why Sam suggested it as he was helping me try it on my parts.