Trying to figure out if you're the place for me

Chris Harrison

Oct 25, 2016, 1:29:42 PM10/25/16
to Arch Reactor
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood Morning!

I'm looking for workspace, and Arch Reactor was suggested to me. I make jewelry, mostly out of coins, and do occasional small leather or wood projects. I'm not opposed to shared space or sharing the tools that I have, but I do need them to be available when I need them, and I need secure storage for non-shared raw materials. I'm fairly solitary and would probably try to work when there are as few people as possible in the facility - If there are too many other people working I will be way too distracted to work on my own stuff! Do you think Arch Reactor is the place I'm looking for, and if it's not does anyone here have ideas as to what might be?

Thank You

cjh

Myles Farrell

Oct 25, 2016, 1:38:45 PM10/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Those all sound like projects that you would see around the space and would probably fit right in. There are definitely people working on stuff like this and you might meet people with experience and ideas in that area as well. The two main benefits to becoming a full member is that you get to leave a storage tote in the space for on going projects/material storage and a key so you can come in when you want. I do this sometimes because open nights can be very distracting. However, the policy is to be a supporting member for a couple months so people can get to know you before you are nominated for full membership. So for the first couple months at least you would need to come in on open nights or when a full member has opened the space at other times.

Andrew Ricke

Oct 25, 2016, 2:17:27 PM10/25/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

First welcome!  I hope you will be willing to let me bug you about leatherworking sometime.

The general rule is that you get a standard tote worth of space. Anything else you bring to the space to store that is outside of that is generally considered available for others to use. Specialized gear is always considered to require training from the owner before others use it.  These rules are more abused in the manner that we have too much brought in and left around than that we ever have of mistreating others stuff.

That being said, it's more likely we have even more tools available at home and the community is always willing to bring in more for others to borrow if there is something needed.

I often do my work on off hours as well to avoid distractions when using the major dust making tools.

The space is a mixed bag of members who enjoy it for the available tools and space, the community, or just a mix in between.  I haven't seen anyone willing to make things and be a do-it kind of person not fit in.

EschewObfuscation

Oct 25, 2016, 5:40:37 PM10/25/16
to Arch Reactor
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 12:29:42 PM UTC-5, Chris Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for workspace, and Arch Reactor was suggested to me. I make jewelry, mostly out of coins, and do occasional small leather or wood projects. I'm not opposed to shared space or sharing the tools that I have, but I do need them to be available when I need them, and I need secure storage for non-shared raw materials....

Standard personal storage is a "tote", as previously mentioned; imagine one of the plastic rubbermaid or similar plastic tubs, maybe 2 feet long, 18" wide or so? So, that class of shelf space, whether you use a tote, wooden box, whatever. If you needed to secure items, we don't currently have a locker type system (though it's been discussed from time to time), but if you were to put a padlock on your "tote", that's entirely your business. If you wanted to better secure it, say to an eye bolt, talk to Myles or someone, and that could probably be arranged. Storage beyond one's tote-allocation... might be doable, depends on how much volume we're talking about, but again, might need to be negotiated with Myles or someone else on the board, might incur a fee. It's not something we've done AFAIK, but we're flexible, too. General rule of thumb is we're not all corporate/bureaucratic and rigid about rules; if you need something, chances are something can be worked out. Make sense?