Lathe Demo

Frank Kallal

Apr 9, 2016, 4:18:59 PM4/9/16
to Arch Reactor
I just wanted to drop a quick thank you to Keith for making it out and demo'ing the Tiag Metal Lathe.  (http://www.taigtools.com/)  he's Been around AR since almost the Begining, though has been scarce these last few years.    In addition to AR he is also one of the local Distributors for Tiag, if you are looking for a mini-lathe.

He ran us through many of the functions of the Lathe and even had his own parts to Cover the bits of ours that seem to have been lost over the years.  I'm looking forward to a Project or two on the thing. :)

Unfortunately it was Pretty Grimy to start with so we also got a hands on hour long session of Cleaning and Oiling the thing.  Which isn't a great statement on how we should be taking care of Tools.   The Shopmaster is only a single person, and we all really need to help take care of the Equipment we use.  Leaving it in the same state you found it should be considered in your time allowances when using Equipment.

anyway thank you to Keith for coming out, it was informative.

Frrank

Jim S

Apr 9, 2016, 5:33:12 PM4/9/16
to Arch Reactor
I second that!  Thanks, Keith!

Keith Rogers

Apr 9, 2016, 9:15:28 PM4/9/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
No problem!  Travis was able to find a blue tool box that contained the chuck wrench and 3-jaw chuck bars (cut-off screw drivers with handles).  Those were the primary missing components.  I reassembled the 3 jaw chuck but there is still a bit of a bur that catches at each jaw when actuating the scroll.  It needs some careful dremel effort to clean up the scroll start.  Otherwise, it is in pretty good shape!  -Keith