Soiled State Relay Issues (SSR-40-DA)

Robert Kleeschulte

Jan 1, 2017, 9:32:19 PM1/1/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have seen this being used with digital temp controlling a 220vac kiln and confused as to why this is not working. I am using this on a 5500w 220v heater.

PID or other temp controller controlling two SSR for each leg of the 120v lines. The STC-1000 works fine, but the relays are always closed even if they are not given a signal to close.

STC-1000 tempature controller switching 12VDC to signal the SSR relay. Blue wires to relays. Red wires to LEDs.

Shit circuit diagram attached and built unit. (Relays bypassed with wire nuts because shead cold af and needed heat)

Relays do nothing, but do get triggered by controller. Heater is always on even with STC-1000 off and 12v removed
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jim S

Jan 1, 2017, 10:28:09 PM1/1/17
to Arch Reactor
Sounds like the SSR outputs are shorted.  Are they conducting even with the input disconnected?  Is so they are shorted - it is probably due to overloading them or letting them get too hot.  For full load they need heatsinking.  BTW, you don't need two of them.  Opening one leg turns the load off.

Chris Weiss

Jan 2, 2017, 12:06:33 PM1/2/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
what if you remove the LEDs?  do the LEDs have integrated current limits?

an...@rawsonemail.com

Jan 3, 2017, 9:02:50 AM1/3/17
to Arch Reactor
Sounds like counterfeit SSRs that have now shorted. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-inner-workings-of-Counterfeit-FOTEK-SSRs/

Robert Kleeschulte

Jan 3, 2017, 12:40:41 PM1/3/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will take a look at them Andy. It might be just that and fried low amp SSR.

As for heat sinks I was just using the aluminum enclosure itself. First test the back of the box did get warm, but I would not call it hot. I do have a few heat sinks that could be used,

LEDs are from gateway and are the 1$ 12v module.

Jim S