Ideas for a beaglebone box with space for a hard drive, arduino, etc?

jimski...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2016, 12:13:57 PM8/27/16
to Arch Reactor
I have a beaglebone attached to an Arduino doing some things. Want to add a small hard drive. Want to put it in a box with a little room for interconnecting cables so it isn't just a pile of wires on the bench like it is now. Have looked at everything from micro ATX cases ( a bit bigger than I need) to making my own out of aluminum sheet or laser cutting some thin plywood. Looking for some suggestions on low cost enclosures that look decent and aren't a ton of work.

Chris Weiss

Aug 27, 2016, 4:35:27 PM8/27/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
laser for sure.  https://www.google.com/#q=laser+box+maker gives you some sites that you can plug in box dimensions and and it'll give you the files needed to make the box.  Diane and Travis probably have some site preference they can share (I dont' see it on the laser guide on the website)

you can use plywood or acrylic, the acrylic will likely be more durable and easier to make water resistant and such.  if you look in our "show box" there's some examples of plywood laser cut boxes.

jimski...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2016, 5:20:47 PM8/28/16
to Arch Reactor, jimski...@gmail.com
By "show box" I guess you mean a physical box at the space with stuff for shows... Just want to clarify that it isn't anything on line. I looked at the laser guide - good info but still would like to get some guidance on material, programs to draw it up, and local sources. I will probably go with plastic sheet. PVC is nice to work with other cutting tools but shouldn't be laser cut due to fumes so will probably do acrylic. I see Regal Plastics is local but didn't see anything about small pieces - I will give them a call. Cope Plastics is another and they do have limited amounts of smaller pieces...

Frank Kallal

Aug 28, 2016, 6:20:35 PM8/28/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, jimski...@gmail.com
Regal maintains a small Remnants Selection in the Office.  You can either call and Convince someone to go through them on the Phone with you, or you can go and Look yourself.  Take cash, things get cheaper if you have Cash.

Cope has Plenty of Remnants at their Remnants Office in Alton.  Once again it's a Call to see if they have Scrap whatever.   The Website lists the Bigger Bits, but they have smaller bits that just aren't inventoried.  they are Card Only, no Cash.

Depending on what you are looking for, I might just have spare I can Give you at Cost as well.

Diane and Travis are better than i at the space laser :) but I source material more Often i think lol

Frank

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM, <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:
By "show box" I guess you mean a physical box at the space with stuff for shows...  Just want to clarify that it isn't anything on line.  I looked at the laser guide - good info but still would like to get some guidance on material, programs to draw it up, and local sources.  I will probably go with plastic sheet.  PVC is nice to work with other cutting tools but shouldn't be laser cut due to fumes so will probably do acrylic.  I see Regal Plastics is local but didn't see anything about small pieces - I will give them a call.  Cope Plastics is another and they do have limited amounts of smaller pieces...

David Diederich

Aug 29, 2016, 9:10:39 AM8/29/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
1/8" and 1/4" acrylic is available in sheets at Lowes and Home Depot.  Easily laser cut.

Travis Megee

Aug 29, 2016, 10:42:05 AM8/29/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I really like MakerCase due to all of the extra options and the ease of making inner and outer boxes.  While you can also do stuff like holes and text, I prefer to get the basic box dimensions done and then finish everything up in something like AutoCAD.

Another local option for ordering plastics is JBC Plastic (right around the corner from the old JeffU space).

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Frank Kallal <fr...@kallal.net> wrote:
[...]

Jim S

Aug 29, 2016, 1:53:11 PM8/29/16
to Arch Reactor
Lowes and HD don't seem to have much in their stores according to their websites (but I have found the sites track store inventory very poorly).  And mostly clear.  I was hoping for black, white, or gray - a solid color but fairly plain.

Frank Kallal

Aug 29, 2016, 1:55:41 PM8/29/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Lowe's will only have Clear.. :)  it's a replacement for Glass after all.