fire and ice demo/projects

Chris Weiss

Jan 8, 2015, 11:34:18 AM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
making a new thread so this is easier to find.

if you're planning on supplying a demo project for Fire and Ice,
let me know what you got and what you'll need (tables, power, people,
indoor or out)
ASAP so we can reserve your space.

So far i have:

TomB: ice cube painting: needs small table, and a tarp? or outside?
needs a person, non-skilled

Diane: paracord weaving: 8ft table? 6ft? people?

Derek: tetris project: small table? any people?

Deech: LN2 at a table or just scheduled demo?

Di

Jan 8, 2015, 11:56:55 AM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Diane:  Paracord Weaving

6' table
A decent chair
A reasonable amount of light would be nice (doesn't need to be BRIGHT, but some light is good)
I don't have to have people but it would be nice if we have them.   My sister, Jennifer Brinkley, was intending to volunteer.   She'd be nice to have if she's not desperately needed elsewhere as she know about the project and can help discuss.

Thanks!

Di  <*>

Travis Megee

Jan 8, 2015, 12:22:29 PM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Praying I get splitflap display done in time.

Half a table
Need outlet
Should run on its own (fingers crossed).

Travis

Derek Sigler

Jan 8, 2015, 12:37:06 PM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with 1/2 table inside with power.  Project will not require human assistance.
-derek

Kamikaze Joe

Jan 8, 2015, 1:37:19 PM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Was planning on bringing the face tracking robot.  Need's power and minimal space.

Also planning on robot bug races.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM, 'Derek Sigler' via Arch Reactor <arch-r...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I'm fine with 1/2 table inside with power.  Project will not require human assistance.
-derek

Diane

Jan 8, 2015, 3:23:47 PM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Deech,

A few months ago you asked to borrow my Kitchenaid mixer to make ice cream.  Is that still a thing?

di  <*>

Bob S.

Jan 8, 2015, 9:37:51 PM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
If anyone thinks another small table demo would be nice; I can do a hot ice demo using Sodium Acetate.  I can make up a few small batches to have a demo a few times or use more of it at once and do it less times... whatever works.

Let me know if anyone thinks this would be welcomed...

-Bob

Travis Megee

Jan 8, 2015, 10:28:17 PM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Do it!

Travis

Deech

Jan 9, 2015, 12:48:59 AM1/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think I ended up agreeing to set up at a table for a little bit at the beginning of the night and do one stage demo.

Also, a kitchen aid for ice cream would be great.

Xsfx2000

Jan 9, 2015, 4:09:51 AM1/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My typical Arduino / Neopixel stuff + hopefully something new.
Room for a laptop as well, please.

Derek Sigler

Jan 9, 2015, 8:40:12 AM1/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
Lets also do a 1/2 table for Little Bits too.  Someone will need to be with the table.   Sharing it with Lloyd half would work good.
-derek

nfolken

Jan 10, 2015, 12:59:50 AM1/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am hoping to get a few more of my center pieces done, but they are battery powered, and can be spread around.

I can also bring and setup the DDR pads again, If you think there would be a good place to put them. Can't put them near the dance area or the music would clash.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Jan 10, 2015, 9:19:25 PM1/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I can man the 1/2 table for the little it's for the night. The event volunteer time I requested was for setup.

Gene

Ben West

Jan 12, 2015, 2:27:20 PM1/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
If it would be of interest, I was looking into a setting up 2 or 3 wifi mesh nodes running Commotion with a couple local apps.  Two or three nodes, depending on the actual square footage the event would be occupying.  (I.e. just the first floor, or both floors and outdoor space?)

No table space needed, just 120VAC power outlet for each node, and a wired Internet uplink for one node.  I can email Jason D off-list about the uplink availability.

The goal of the mesh would be to provide a portal visible to anyone connecting to any of the mesh APs, with a draggable map populated with pins that pop-up to show location/info about specific demos (possibly also the chilli cookoff).  I.e. a basic navigator folks could pull up on their phones.

I've inquired with the New America Foundation folks about current state of their local mesh apps, particularly to see what's trending in terms of mapping tools. They had been using Tidepools, but there may be an up-and-coming replacement in the works they haven't announced yet.  As for what actually hosts the local apps (the APs themselves would not), I've an old Mac mini running Debian that should be OK for lightweight LAMP in a box.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Gene J. (GeekTinker) <gene....@gmail.com> wrote:
I can man the 1/2 table for the little it's for the night. The event volunteer time I requested was for setup.

Gene

Chris Weiss

Jan 12, 2015, 3:04:38 PM1/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I believe Bomb Door only has an upstairs available, and there's where were at.

I'd imagine one AP would cover it. I have no idea what the internet
situation is, but it would be nice to have some wifi.

Ben West

Jan 12, 2015, 10:53:39 PM1/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
W/r/t to wifi APs, I'm afraid events have now colluded to place me out of town Weds thru Sunday.  I do have a pending email to Jason D asking about possibility of setting up a couple Nanostation APs, i.e. one wherever in the building a wired uplink is handy (if not in venue space), and a 2nd to be the repeater in the venue space itself.

If you'd like to hang up the APs yourselves, I could bring them already configured to the space tomorrow.

Chris Weiss

Jan 12, 2015, 10:55:34 PM1/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
as long as there's a place to plug them in they will be a big help and
much appreciated.

Ben West

Jan 13, 2015, 10:50:57 PM1/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Jason responded confirming there is an ethernet port w/ DHCP at the front of the venue space.  The larger Nanostation AP ('FireAndIce-Venue') should be fine to plug in there, the smaller AP not needed.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
as long as there's a place to plug them in they will be a big help and
much appreciated.

Chris Weiss

Jan 14, 2015, 12:10:59 AM1/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
thanks Ben!

On friday evening we could use a hand putting together the volunteer
swag bags. Thursday bit a bit of help could be used as well.
anything that can come up those evenings please do, the help will be
much appreciated.

Chris Weiss

Jan 15, 2015, 9:14:32 AM1/15/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Can everyone that's doing demos post a brief description for the MC to
use in announcements?