Help With Identification of Phone System or Antenna System Parts at Police Department

Tom Blevins

Feb 17, 2015, 1:13:48 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Here are the Pictures I took does anyone know what these are and if we have to have them?
There are 2 different ones on has two cylinders the other has four cylinders.
IMG_2.jpg
IMG_3.jpg
IMG_4top.jpg
IMG_side.jpg

Chris Weiss

Feb 17, 2015, 2:12:29 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
could it be a radio antenna of some sort?

Keith Rogers

Feb 17, 2015, 2:57:58 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My radio guru friend says RF Cavity Filters

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Tom Blevins <topazc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here are the Pictures I took does anyone know what these are and if we have to have them?
There are 2 different ones on has two cylinders the other has four cylinders.

Hroller McKnutt

Feb 17, 2015, 3:55:54 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Those are duplexers... they keep the transmitter from swamping the receiver and blowing up the front end of it... are these active in the police departments repeater? Generally speaking if you have to ask you shouldn't be touching those things.

Not to sound like an ass, but those are kind of important to a repeater system and if this is an active system you could easily wreck it by poking around in it. (For my bona-fides, I'm an Extra class amateur radio operator, if you need assistance with radio questions and I don't know the answer I can put you in touch with someone who does)

Mike
WY0M

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Tom Blevins <topazc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here are the Pictures I took does anyone know what these are and if we have to have them?
There are 2 different ones on has two cylinders the other has four cylinders.

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

Ben West

Feb 17, 2015, 5:52:50 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Echoing Hroller's comment that they do appear to be in use in the photos shared.  They have coax attached, and one photo shows the heatsink on the rear of a rackmount transmitter/exciter thingy.  If they're highly specific to the police frequencies being used, guessing such gear wouldn't be useful to anyone lacking the appropriate FCC permission.

Hroller McKnutt

Feb 17, 2015, 5:54:36 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Transmitter/Exciter thingy is a technical term btw. ;)

Mike

Tom Blevins

Feb 17, 2015, 11:19:16 PM2/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I didn't touch. I only took pictures and will leave alone.

Hroller McKnutt

Feb 18, 2015, 12:29:01 AM2/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Good to know. ;) I hadn't realized how stressed I was at work today until I saw this reply just now, my apologies for the harshness of my earlier message.

Mike