Shop Equipment Damage

Myles Farrell

Oct 3, 2015, 11:43:05 PM10/3/15
to Arch Reactor
In the last couple months I have been noticing an increasing amount of damage to equipment in the dirty shop. Aluminum being put on the grinding wheel, plastic melted on to the dremel cut off wheels, someone cutting aluminum on the wood band saw blade and snapping the teeth off. These are just some of the most recent examples. Besides being costly, mistakes in the shop can be dangerous. If you are unsure how to use a piece of equipment or even if you are just having an off day and want a double check, please ask for help.

EschewObfuscation

Oct 4, 2015, 2:28:46 AM10/4/15
to Arch Reactor
<sigh>

Inevitable, until we institute a system of checkouts and "certifications" for various pieces of equipment, because the people who are a hazard are the ones who simply don't realize there's something they don't know. "Checkout" need not take more than 10 minutes for most tools, but until it's imposed, the people who need it are exactly the same ones who will not ask questions, because they don't realize the need.

For the moment, ofc, the organization's energies are fully committed elsewhere...

Myles Farrell

Oct 5, 2015, 3:30:55 AM10/5/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You are correct and your thoughts completely mirror my own. We have started working toward some of the systems you suggest, hence the offering of classes. We will start going full bore on these after the moves settles out, until then reminding people to be conscious about what they are doing is the best I can do for now.

EschewObfuscation

Oct 5, 2015, 7:23:27 AM10/5/15
to Arch Reactor
In the mean time, can we take a magic marker to the grinding wheels and mark them "ferrous only" or "aluminum only" on the flat side as appropriate, and maybe hang a tag or strip of masking tape on the band saw saying "wood blade installed, no metal"? It won't cover everything (a beginner making free with the table saw is a disturbing thought), but might be a start.

Aaron Ward

Oct 5, 2015, 11:30:13 AM10/5/15
to Arch Reactor
I like the notes on the equipment, but instead of marker we can put up 8.5x11 laminated signs with important information on each piece of equipment.
Do we have an asset list of equipment and understand what is working and what isn't and interesting pieces of information to note for operation?