New to this..... how do I start?

matthew....@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 12:09:16 PM4/9/18
to Arch Reactor
Hello everyone,
My boss got in contact with someone from ArchReactor and suggested we could create a part we need. I quickly volunteered because this stuff is interesting, and I'm curious. I need to create 12 flat ~10cm diameter discs ~ 3mm thick out of plastic with some simple "cut-outs". This will act as a lid for a vessel in which we run Experiments controlling evaporation (we are a very small Pharma company (9 people)). These things cost $45 a piece and i can't imagine they'd be too difficult to create, material probably is less than $10-20 for all. I'd love to make them myself and get my hands a little dirty, but I don't know where to start.

any help?
Wind

Myles Farrell

Apr 9, 2018, 1:03:44 PM4/9/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello, That definitely sounds like something that could be done at our space. We have multiple tools that might be used to create something like that, although depending on the tolerances and internal shapes needed, the laser cutters would probably be the easiest. The first step would be to swing during an open time and get a tour and meet people. There is a status light on our website that shows when the space is open. You best bet however would be after 7pm on sunday and tuesday nights, there are always people there then.

EschewObfuscation

Apr 10, 2018, 1:51:34 AM4/10/18
to Arch Reactor
Depending on parameters you haven't specified, laser cutter, band saw, router with radial guide (might be a little small for that option), even saber saw. 3D printed, etc. If you need a smooth surface, the rough surface of 3D print might be painted after fabrication with sodium silicate. Lots of options.