Outlet

Amberly Brown

Jul 26, 2016, 4:45:35 PM7/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I have project I need to use the Arc Welder on, but I need a 220V 50Amp outlet to use the welder. Does the space have one of these by chance?

Thanks,

Amberly

Robert Kleeschulte

Jul 26, 2016, 6:04:46 PM7/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Niels I think was working on that to get the stove going for powder coating.

Tony Strawhun

Jul 26, 2016, 11:02:06 PM7/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Officially, our occupancy permit does not allow welding inside our building until we get proper ventilation.

Hroller McKnutt

Jul 27, 2016, 9:09:24 AM7/27/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That's what extension cords are for... it would be kind of rough to pull the trailer into the building anyhow.

Mike

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

Myles Farrell

Jul 27, 2016, 10:50:53 AM7/27/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
All of the welding equipment was taken home by members until we can get a vent hood in accordance with the agreement we made with the permitting office to get our occupancy.

Hroller McKnutt

Jul 27, 2016, 10:54:52 AM7/27/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Like I said, not talking about welding in the building... there's a big lot to weld in, outside where I don't need a fume hood. I just need to know if there's an outlet I can plug an extension into, I don't have enough room to wire an outlet at my place as my electrical panel is already full or else I'd just do that.

Mike

EschewObfuscation

Jul 27, 2016, 5:58:56 PM7/27/16
to Arch Reactor
That current level requires an extension cord of at least 8 gauge, not a cheap item. Do we even have such a cable?

Do we still have the blower we used to put in the window at JU? If so, that's probably around 1000 CFM. If not, I have a brand new in box 600-700 CFM blower I'd be willing to let be used for the purpose, on the understanding I could ask for it back if need be. Would that help?

It occurs to me a sheet of plywood (maybe stiffened around the edges) with strong magnets (from hard drives?) could serve as a temporary evac panel. Placed against one of the rear doorways and secured by its magnets, something tentlike or maybe panels pinned together would complete a stowable ventilated welding hood. Thoughts?

nfolken

Jul 28, 2016, 10:19:31 AM7/28/16
to Arch Reactor
Unfortunately there are all kinds of regulations on fume hoods, and we need an PE to sign off on plans for a permit before we can make one.

There is a 50A NEMA 10 outlet (angled 3 prong) back by the breaker box, but I only had a 40A breaker on hand when I installed it. I used AWG 8 wire, and I do plan on eventually upgrading it to a 50A breaker.

EschewObfuscation

Jul 28, 2016, 9:04:55 PM7/28/16
to Arch Reactor
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 9:19:31 AM UTC-5, nfolken wrote:
Unfortunately there are all kinds of regulations on fume hoods, and we need an PE to sign off on plans for a permit before we can make one...

As a result of your post I looked into it, and you're right: vast amounts of verbiage on the topic, which say just about nothing. Summarized as "ventilation must be sufficient to ensure good air quality", and pushes off the details onto the victim, er, "workplace", while retaining the right to assess fines if the unspecified conditions aren't met. Typical bureaucrat garbage. And people get paid to write that drivel. sheesh. Simplest solution is a $200 extension cord, and weld when the weather is tolerable.

Chris Weiss

Jul 29, 2016, 12:43:32 PM7/29/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
no, the specified condition is that a certified PE sign off on the design, then it's approved via ht e permit application process, and finally it's installed to that spec. I have had county inspectors look at something like they don't want to pass it, but then sigh and pass it because it's to spec that was approved in the application.

of course, they can be pain and try to argue that it's not to spec, but that doesn't involve fines.

Hroller McKnutt

Jul 29, 2016, 1:38:08 PM7/29/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Welding outside doesn't involve fines either... it's a moot point at this time anyhow as I don't need to do the welding that prompted the original question any time soon.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
no, the specified condition is that a certified PE sign off on the design, then it's approved via ht e permit application process, and finally it's installed to that spec. I have had county inspectors look at something like they don't want to pass it, but then sigh and pass it because it's to spec that was approved in the application.

of course, they can be pain and try to argue that it's not to spec, but that doesn't involve fines.

EschewObfuscation

Jul 29, 2016, 9:16:15 PM7/29/16
to Arch Reactor
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:43:32 AM UTC-5, ||cw wrote:
no, the specified condition is that a certified PE sign off on the design, then it's approved via ht e permit application process, and finally it's installed to that spec. I have had county inspectors look at something like they don't want to pass it, but then sigh and pass it because it's to spec that was approved in the application.

of course, they can be pain and try to argue that it's not to spec, but that doesn't involve fines.

When I searched the topic, I found documents sourced by OSHA, and they did indeed read as I described above. More about what to achieve (with no details), nothing useful about how to achieve it, which is what I'd been hoping to find. Hopefully we're not in any way under their jurisdiction. No mention of PEs, building permit, etc. But OSHA definitely is all about fines...

OTOH, the stuff about "anything you can slip into the permit application and get signed off becomes golden" is useful to know.

I am a little confused, though; If we're discussing permits, PE drawings and approvals, that sounds like construction/building permit stuff. Are we operating under an unspoken assumption that the best and only solution is something permanently built into the building? It seems odd that something movable/temporary would come under any regulatory domain. Otherwise every cabinet or shelf would require bureaucratic blessing. Have we already decided that the only approach of interest is a permanent hood/booth?

Chris Weiss

Jul 31, 2016, 2:15:56 PM7/31/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
osha is a different beast.  I'm not sure where we might fall on their spectrum since most of their enforcement is around employers and workers, and we have neither.

EschewObfuscation

Jul 31, 2016, 9:22:44 PM7/31/16
to Arch Reactor
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 1:15:56 PM UTC-5, ||cw wrote:
osha is a different beast.  I'm not sure where we might fall on their spectrum since most of their enforcement is around employers and workers, and we have neither.

Just so, and I hope and expect we're outside their jurisdiction.

Anyway, if the answer to my last question is "yes, we have our hearts set on a builtin fume hood", that's fine.

If, instead, the answer is "we're still considering options", then I'd suggest a fume hood is a very nice thing to have available, uses a fair amount of floor space, and will be used at wide intervals. Other considerations aside, a good candidate for a stowable design. If that frees us of regulatory entanglements, that would be an additional benefit.