Monarch Butterflies and Milkweed - Want Seeds?

已查看 23 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Diane Sudduth

未读,
2015年4月13日 11:44:032015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've been hearing through a lot of media outlets that the Monarch Butterfly is imperiled because there's not enough milkweed to feed the caterpillars.   One site I've been reading is http://www.saveourmonarchs.org/     I don't have a yard so initially thought, "I'm not sure how I can help" but then I realized that "help" can happen in many ways.    So I made a donation to Save Our Monarchs and now have seeds to Share with anyone who has a yard and would like to plant some milkweed.

There are a few packets of seeds on the "egg table" at Arch Reactor and I'll bring in more on Tuesday (probably around 8pm)

Please plant the seeds or share the packets with anyone who Will plant the seeds.   Since caterpillars are voracious eaters, please plant a "patch" if you can to help prevent caterpillar starvation.

If you happen to have a large "wild" area and would be willing to plant LOTS of seeds if you had them, let me know, because I also got some "bulk" seeds to share.

Thanks!

Diane  <*>

Chris Weiss

未读,
2015年4月13日 11:49:372015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
one note on milkweed: it can be aggressive. if you put it in a
flower bed it will be a lot of work to keep it from taking over. it's
best put somewhere that you can mow around to keep it under control,
or somewhere that you do want it to take over.

Andrew Ricke

未读,
2015年4月13日 15:46:292015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Are they missouri native or low maintenance beyond controlling its spread?

Chris Weiss

未读,
2015年4月13日 15:57:492015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Diane Sudduth

未读,
2015年4月13日 16:45:282015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The Milkweed Fact Sheet says that these seeds, which are  Asclepias Incarnata (swamp milkweed), are one of the 5 species of milkweed recommended for our area and does list it as a native plant.   It grows best in damp soils but supposedly will grow reasonably well unless it's quite dry.

Diane  <*>

Chris Weiss

未读,
2015年4月13日 16:49:272015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that the mobot description says it's native, they
usually also put a note by the star rating if it's MO native and this
is missing on this one.

Robert Kleeschulte

未读,
2015年4月13日 17:13:242015/4/13
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I keep thinking of milk thistle.

Parents tried to plant over a pound of clover seeds on a hillside in hopes of killing off grass and being only clover.  Of course this was a week after spraying to kill off the grass and no clover grew that year.

On Monday, April 13, 2015, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Andrew Ricke

未读,
2015年4月19日 14:40:212015/4/19
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to reply again but would like a pack of seeds for a planter in my front yard. Are they still at the space? I get to come to this weeks Tuesday meeting.

Diane

未读,
2015年4月19日 15:41:532015/4/19
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There may be a few packs on the "egg table" right now.  I've a Bunch more in my backpack and will leave more tonight and have them Tuesday (won't manage to get there Tuesday until 8pm)

di  <*>

Brad Tissi

未读,
2015年4月20日 08:36:232015/4/20
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We were planning to plant some in our drip field, but will need to order a fair bit for it.
If there's any left by the time that I get there, we'll take you up on your offer.

Diane

未读,
2015年4月20日 08:51:312015/4/20
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what quantity you mean by "a fair bit", Brad, but I also have an envelope in my backpack with "bulk" seeds.   I'll get to AR around 8pm Tuesday.  Check with me then for seeds in Quantity.

di  <*>

On Apr 20, 2015, at 7:36 AM, Brad Tissi <bti...@gmail.com> wrote:

We were planning to plant some in our drip field, but will need to order a fair bit for it.
If there's any left by the time that I get there, we'll take you up on your offer.

Chris Weiss

未读,
2015年4月20日 09:24:472015/4/20
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
and again i'll remind you that these are prolific. if you plant just
a few and don't' mow around them much, within a couple years you will
have many.

Brad Tissi

未读,
2015年4月20日 12:43:322015/4/20
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That is the plan, I don't want to have to mow that field again and it's surrounded by woods. Have at it. :)
Di, I don't think that I've ever been able to make it to a Tues meeting. So I don't hold much hope for this one.
Just too far for a work night for me. Though that field is probably only about a half acre and it will be shared by some other natives.
To tell you the truth, I'm just the "move that bucket over there" guy for plants and I'm happy to let the wife handle the rest.

Andrew Ricke

未读,
2015年4月20日 20:06:152015/4/20
收件人 arch-r...@googlegroups.com
For me should just be in a metal above ground planter we plan to get for where it's too awkward to mow. If they escape the planter then they can compete with the ivy that is trying to take over the grass/neighborhood.
回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子