Rearranging Tables

nfolken

Mar 9, 2015, 4:09:15 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It feels like the lab tables are starting to fill up quite often. Ryan pointed out that we have 3 more 4ft tables in the shop that could be put together, so I played around with how we could add them. I like the idea of creating 3 islands, but I thought I would see anyone has a strong opposition to trying it out.

This is the current layout:

This is my proposal:

And here is a mockup of how it would look:

Lastly, here is another arrangement that adds table space, but not seating capacity:

Kamikaze Joe

Mar 9, 2015, 4:43:05 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like the 3 islands.  In addition to workspace, it makes it easier to move around.  All 3 need power though.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

Chris Weiss

Mar 9, 2015, 4:48:51 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like the 3 islands too.  only concern I have is that it already feels a lot more cramped than it looks in the drawings.

Andrew Ricke

Mar 9, 2015, 4:58:42 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Also loses the Viking Great Hall feel, but I am cool with the islands.

On Monday, March 9, 2015, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the 3 islands too.  only concern I have is that it already feels a lot more cramped than it looks in the drawings.

Ryan Williams

Mar 9, 2015, 5:08:04 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

That's pretty much what I think; it'll end up being more cramped than current.

I like the third option best.

On Mar 9, 2015 3:48 PM, "Chris Weiss" <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the 3 islands too.  only concern I have is that it already feels a lot more cramped than it looks in the drawings.

Frank Kallal

Mar 9, 2015, 5:35:52 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Option #3 is Bad For Boardgame day, and would result in alot of added time to Re-arrange / move the tables before and after the event.

Option #2 is is Ok for Board Game day, but Electricity has to have an easy way to not take of space on the table, or be able to be removed.

EschewObfuscation

Mar 9, 2015, 5:54:04 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
How did you create that mockup?

Deech

Mar 9, 2015, 6:19:49 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The only issue I see with the three island setup is the one at the far end needs more light.

Otherwise, I think the 3 island setup is fine, with electrical added, of course. We can't have extension cords running across the floor.

George Fetters

Mar 9, 2015, 9:52:07 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I like the long table.  I think it creates an environment of equality   and community where ideas are shared.  On nights of high traffic it creates an epicenter around which visitors swirl with excitement.

I hope we don't give up the spirit of King Aurthor's round table for the sterility of a lunch room.

Frank Kallal

Mar 9, 2015, 10:17:15 PM3/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
King Arthor is well and Good, but i agree.  it's very easy to Max out the table as it is.

nfolken

Mar 10, 2015, 12:00:46 AM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
lol, the only thing that was 'mocked' was putting together the 4' tables. They were sitting on things for the photo. I cleaned up and then moving tables around was easy. I'll be at the space early tomorrow and I think I'll actually put them together, and we can try the layout for a bit. If it feels less communal, we can try something else. It didn't feel cramped, but that could quickly change when filled up with people.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Mar 10, 2015, 2:51:00 AM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll second what George said about the long table. It's easier to run power to it, too. Perhaps we should work on not taking up so much space at one workstation when the room starts to get crowded. Plus, if you aren't actually working on something, be prepared to give up your space to somebody who needs the space. Lastly, do we have enough chairs to add more workstations? On the nights it's been the busiest, I've seen space to work, but no chair to work in because the chair had been pulled to another part o the room.

Gene

Brad Tissi

Mar 10, 2015, 10:59:10 AM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Option #3 seems like a negative move with more space used with less purpose.

Option #2 would probably work well given our size and the constraints of the space.

As for the "we can all see each other" feel, how about a U shape if there's enough room?

BlackTalon

Mar 10, 2015, 3:44:18 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I agree about not having enough chairs.  Maybe we need some stackable ones we can combine when not in use.

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 10, 2015, 3:54:49 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I personally like the long table.

Option 3 may be nice, but may also be a bit wide, but also good if someone needs to spread out they can just push things to the center instead of to the sides.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

EschewObfuscation

Mar 10, 2015, 4:25:57 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Doh! I was looking at that and thinking "mockup? Did he photoshop that? Man, that looks good, shadows seem right and everything..." :)

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 11:00:46 PM UTC-5, nfolken wrote:
lol, the only thing that was 'mocked' was putting together the 4' tables...

Morganism

Mar 11, 2015, 10:08:39 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
After thinking about this for a while. I like the third option. With the 3d printer group having more space for people to set up printers and projects will help greatly. I do like the King Arthur vibe to all working in the same space as well.  I like the three table solution. My biggest concern would be the walkways. I doubt there would be space to move around, especially between tables. I also think that when the space is full people; they will be banging the backs of their chairs together.

Maybe a 60/40 compromise with one larger and wider table and second smaller and thinner table. This create more space, allows people to work on larger projects better, and still accommodates people wanting to play games across a table.

Michael Kuba

Mar 11, 2015, 10:28:40 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We tried out the three table layout last night, and the space was pretty busy. I thought it worked well.

nfolken

Mar 11, 2015, 11:04:05 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I thought it worked pretty well. I ran power to the three islands, but It would be nice if we had a little more light. Does anyone have an 8ft fluorescent that they could donate to the space?

Andrew Ricke

Mar 11, 2015, 12:27:23 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I thought we had some more fixtures in the shop storage on the loft.

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought it worked pretty well. I ran power to the three islands, but It would be nice if we had a little more light. Does anyone have an 8ft fluorescent that they could donate to the space?

nfolken

Mar 11, 2015, 3:38:16 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We do have some suspended ceiling type fixtures, but they aren't made to be hung, so some work around would have to be made; they would look out of place; they would need to have power cords put on them with grommets; and twice as many ceiling hooks would need to be put in. A lot of little stuff, I know, and it could be done, I was just hoping for something better.

Andrew Ricke

Mar 11, 2015, 5:44:30 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough. If those don't have a use then we should despose of them. I believe that's the reason we kept them when Darryl was the Sgt. as he intended to mount them for the main space.

You've already done half the space with the better track lights anyway.