Computer help- no video

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 9:05:22 AM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
ARRGH.

I have been upgrading my computer (AMD Athlon X2). I took a working video card (NVIDIA GTsomething or other), two working hard drives, and a working 850 watt PSU and added them to an asus M5A78L-M LX Plus motherboard (that had worked previously). I put in 8 gb of DDR3 ram that worked from the machine Mike was upgrading.  I added a brand new AMD FX8350 4.0 GHZ 8 core Processor with Wraith Cooler.

After some addition of ide-sata adapters for one hard drive and the DVD drive, I got everything plugged in.

The motherboard light comes on. The fans start. Noises are heard on the hard drive. THERE IS NO VIDEO. *sigh*. *note: even though the speaker on the board is plugged in, I do not hear any beeps when starting the machine.

I have tried the following: (with no change)
Removing all ram and booting
Trying one RAM at a time, swapping spots, etc
Using the on board graphics
Using VGA vs. DVI
Using a different Monitor
Unplugging and Replugging everything
Starting it with nothing but the PSU and CPU plugged in, with on board graphics
Starting it with nothing but the PSU and the CPU with the video card
Removing the battery for several minutes to reset the CMOS

Can you think of ANYTHING else I can try before I either replace 1) the motherboard or 2) the CPU (it is of course past the return date, but if the dang thing won't work...)

Thanks. This has been driving me nuts for almost two weeks.

Amberly

mmir...@hazelwoodschools.org

Sep 8, 2017, 10:03:02 AM9/8/17
to Arch Reactor
If you are not getting anything with just the on-board video without the video card in place, imho, you most likely either have a driver issue or a motherboard issue. I would update the bios, windows updates, and any specific video drivers in that order. If it does not work, most likely something on your motherboard (probably port or processor) is not sending video. It is possible something on the hard drive is conflicting with the video signal or the hard drive is failing, but those are less likely.

-Morgan

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 10:04:30 AM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
How do I update anything if there is zero video signal? I can't get into the bios AT ALL. I can only look at the hardware and go...well, what if I remove this, change that, plug this in...

Amberly

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 10:05:15 AM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, the tone of that was wrong. Is there a way to update bios if you can't see anything?

Amberly

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Amberly Brown <amb...@gmail.com> wrote:
How do I update anything if there is zero video signal? I can't get into the bios AT ALL. I can only look at the hardware and go...well, what if I remove this, change that, plug this in...

Amberly

Morganism

Sep 8, 2017, 10:14:44 AM9/8/17
to Arch Reactor
No worries, I understand the frustration. If you keep hitting F8 (sometimes F2) as it loads the BIOS screen should come up before anything else loads. The computer should be able to do this if nothing else is connected/loading. (As in no hard drive or operating system, you should still be able to load the BIOS). You might need to load the bios on a USB drive from another computer.

-Morgan

 On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 9:05:15 AM UTC-5, Amberly Brown wrote: > Sorry, the tone of that was wrong. Is there a way to update bios if you can't see anything? > > Amberly > > > > On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Amberly Brown <amb...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do I update anything if there is zero video signal? I can't get into the bios AT ALL. I can only look at the hardware and go...well, what if I remove this, change that, plug this in... > > Amberly > > > > > > On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:03 AM, <mmir...@hazelwoodschools.org> wrote: > If you are not getting anything with just the on-board video without the video card in place, imho, you most likely either have a driver issue or a motherboard issue. I would update the bios, windows updates, and any specific video drivers in that order. If it does not work, most likely something on your motherboard (probably port or processor) is not sending video. It is possible something on the hard drive is conflicting with the video signal or the hard drive is failing, but those are less likely. > > > > -Morgan > > > > On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 8:05:22 AM UTC-5, Amberly Brown wrote: > > > ARRGH. > > > > > > I have been upgrading my computer (AMD Athlon X2). I took a working video card (NVIDIA GTsomething or other), two working hard drives, and a working 850 watt PSU and added them to an asus M5A78L-M LX Plus motherboard (that had worked previously). I put in 8 gb of DDR3 ram that worked from the machine Mike was upgrading.  I added a brand new AMD FX8350 4.0 GHZ 8 core Processor with Wraith Cooler. > > > > > > > > > > > > After some addition of ide-sata adapters for one hard drive and the DVD drive, I got everything plugged in. > > > > > > > > > The motherboard light comes on. The fans start. Noises are heard on the hard drive. THERE IS NO VIDEO. *sigh*. *note: even though the speaker on the board is plugged in, I do not hear any beeps when starting the machine. > > > > > > > > > > > > I have tried the following: (with no change) > > > > > > Removing all ram and booting > > > Trying one RAM at a time, swapping spots, etc > > > Using the on board graphics > > > Using VGA vs. DVI > > > Using a different Monitor > > > Unplugging and Replugging everything > > > Starting it with nothing but the PSU and CPU plugged in, with on board graphics > > > Starting it with nothing but the PSU and the CPU with the video card > > > Removing the battery for several minutes to reset the CMOS > > > > > > > > > Can you think of ANYTHING else I can try before I either replace 1) the motherboard or 2) the CPU (it is of course past the return date, but if the dang thing won't work...) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks. This has been driving me nuts for almost two weeks. > > > > > > > > > Amberly > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to arch-reactor...@googlegroups.com. > > To post to this group, send email to arch-r...@googlegroups.com. > > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/4270b70a-f3c2-4c97-b082-411e46e3b798%40googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 10:21:11 AM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nothing loads. That's the issue. The monitor says no signal--never get to a bios screen, won't register input at all. I'm 97% sure its the motherboard. Anyone have an AM3+ board they aren't using? I could drag this thing down to the space this weekend and try swapping components to see if I can prove/disprove my theory...

Amberly
All this so I could have a faster machine for surfing the web (facebook really bogged my computer down). Maybe some WOW or Diablo III. I'm so tempted to go back to my dual core Athlon...

EschewObfuscation

Sep 8, 2017, 3:54:05 PM9/8/17
to Arch Reactor
First thing I'd do is try a second monitor, to eliminate the possibility of monitor failure.

Then I'd strip out everything possible, even ram, see if you can get bios video from integrated vid.

If still nothing, I'd pull it from the case so there's no issue of any short to ground, just psu, mobo, monitor, plus headphones or speakers etc to hear a beep code, try that on a nonconductive surface (most tables qualify).

If that fails, try a different psu under the same conditions. If 2 monitors and 2 psu's agree the naked mobo isn't producing integrated video or beep codes, then I'd say the mobo or cpu has failed.

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 4:06:06 PM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll be sure my speakers are plugged in too.
The only thing I haven't tried from that list is pulling it from the case, so I guess I'll try that next.

I've tried two monitors, both with the video card and the integrated graphics. I've tried it with the ram pulled, with both monitors.

Amberly

EschewObfuscation

Sep 8, 2017, 4:16:58 PM9/8/17
to Arch Reactor
Okay. And just to be sure, no HD or DVD or other bootable device plugged in either, right? We want to eliminate all the variables we can, then build back up if we get life signs.

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 4:32:41 PM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Correct. I'm still at work, but I'll try these things as soon as I get home.

Amberly

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
Okay. And just to be sure, no HD or DVD or other bootable device plugged in either, right? We want to eliminate all the variables we can, then build back up if we get life signs.

EschewObfuscation

Sep 8, 2017, 7:05:41 PM9/8/17
to Arch Reactor
Oh, and at the risk of teaching gramma how to suck eggs... I've gotten similar head scratchers by forgetting to connect aux power cables (the 4 pin yellow/black ones) usually near the cpu. Simple error, but I've done it and spent a few minutes wondering what the heck...

nfolken

Sep 8, 2017, 7:23:40 PM9/8/17
to Arch Reactor
Here are my thoughts:
 - Make sure the cpu power from the PSU is connected (the 4-pin ATX header behind the ps/2 ports)
 - Maybe the tiny piezo speaker is plugged in backwards? I would think it would beep at least once. From the manual it looks like an AMI bios, so look for those beep codes once you get them. If you unplug everything and still don't get any beeps, then the problem has to be with either the power supply or the motherboard.

Amberly Brown

Sep 8, 2017, 8:31:51 PM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
reversed the speaker pin, still no beeps. Plugged and unplugged the board power again. No change. No signal at all to the monitor. My best guess at this point is the mother board.

thanks all

Chris Weiss

Sep 8, 2017, 9:08:26 PM9/8/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
someone I know once had a similar issue where it would work outside the case but not in it, turns out he left a standoff from the old mainboard that was shorting the new one.  got lucky and it didn't fry anything.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Sep 9, 2017, 1:21:02 AM9/9/17
to Arch Reactor
Make sure your monitor is set to the proper input for the cable you are using. That is, if it has multiple inputs.

What type of video output is it? If it is HDMI, try a different HDMI cable or try the same cable but reversed. Occasionally, a HDMI cable will lose the ability (or never had it) to send data both ways on the cable. The monitor never gets a wake signal from the computer and the computer doesn't realize no monitor is connected.

Does then MB have any built-in graphics output at all? If so, try that. You may have to disable that output in order to use the upgraded video card.

Gene

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Sep 9, 2017, 1:23:34 AM9/9/17
to Arch Reactor
Removing the CMOS battery should cause a beep from the MB speaker during a reboot. If you don't get any beeps, it's not passing BIOS or getting to N error during the BIOS.
Message has been deleted

Amberly Brown

Sep 9, 2017, 10:32:00 PM9/9/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
only using DVI or VGA (tried different cables, video card, on board graphics, and two different monitors). (no HDMI option)
No change removing the motherboard from the case and turning on.
Never have heard any beeps. At all. no matter how long I leave it on.

I figure the mother board is cacked. Microcenter doesn't know if they'll get any more AM3+ boards in, now that the Ryzen (AM4) series is out. Anyone got an AM3+ board they aren't using? It is, of course, outside of the return window for the brand new processor I bought....

Sigh...

Maybe I should just go back to my 2 GHz duel core...it worked...

Amberly

Thanks all for the help.

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Gene J. (GeekTinker) <gene....@gmail.com> wrote:
Removing the CMOS battery should cause a beep from the MB speaker during a reboot. If you don't get any beeps, it's not passing BIOS or getting to N error during the BIOS.

EschewObfuscation

Sep 9, 2017, 10:38:38 PM9/9/17
to Arch Reactor
8350 is a nice chip; I'd say try fleabay for a mobo... much better option than throwing in the towel, and shouldn't cost too much since rizen is out now. Newegg has am3+ mobos starting around $45? and they're new/warranted/returnable...

Amberly Brown

Sep 10, 2017, 12:35:39 PM9/10/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Motherboards have so many things I don't understand.  All I want is something to surf the Internet and play the occasional game of WoW. Is this a good choice?  Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX AM3+ Socket DDR3 1600 Motherboards (GA-970A-DS3P)  Found it on Amazon  for about $75.
Thanks!

On Sep 9, 2017 9:38 PM, "EschewObfuscation" <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
8350 is a nice chip; I'd say try fleabay for a mobo... much better option than throwing in the towel, and shouldn't cost too much since rizen is out now. Newegg has am3+ mobos starting around $45? and they're new/warranted/returnable...

Amberly Brown

Sep 12, 2017, 10:18:17 PM9/12/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Installed a new gigbyte 970A-DS3P motherboard. the ram, power supply, cpu, hard drives, monitor, video card etc were the same as above. I STILL HAVE ZERO VIDEO SIGNAL.

Before I pitch this thing out a window, is there anyone who enjoys trouble shooting these things? Because I'm definitely not at this point.

Amberly

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Amberly Brown <amb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Motherboards have so many things I don't understand.  All I want is something to surf the Internet and play the occasional game of WoW. Is this a good choice?  Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX AM3+ Socket DDR3 1600 Motherboards (GA-970A-DS3P)  Found it on Amazon  for about $75.
Thanks!

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Sep 13, 2017, 2:51:51 AM9/13/17
to Arch Reactor
Is the power supply powerful enough to power both the motherboard and the video card? Does your video card require power it's own dedicated power supply?
Other than that, the video card could be shot.
Did you get any BIOS audio beeps with the new motherboard?

Hroller McKnutt

Sep 13, 2017, 8:03:30 AM9/13/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yes, yes, tried another one, Still no beeps even from the new MOBO.

I don't know wtf is up with the no beeps thing except maybe that speaker is shot. I'll see if I can't find another one laying about. If we haven't sorted it by Sunday we'll probably come around for Hack Something night and see what we're both missing.

Mike

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

EschewObfuscation

Sep 13, 2017, 8:12:47 AM9/13/17
to Arch Reactor
I don't recall: did you try a second, preferably new, psu? Is the cpu fan spinning up? If the mobo expects a fan with hall effect line to send back "I'm spinning" signal, and it does not see that signal, it'll not power up at all.

Amberly Brown

Sep 13, 2017, 8:31:49 AM9/13/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
All the fans spin no issue (PSU, CPU, video card). I can even hear the hard drives spin up. I just get no video signal and no beeps. PSU is 800 watts.

Amberly

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:12 AM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
I don't recall: did you try a second, preferably new, psu? Is the cpu fan spinning up? If the mobo expects a fan with hall effect line to send back "I'm spinning" signal, and it does not see that signal, it'll not power up at all.

EschewObfuscation

Sep 13, 2017, 8:47:49 AM9/13/17
to Arch Reactor
Okay, looking at the manual for that mobo, it has no integrated video, so that casts some suspicion on your video card, cable or monitor. but... it also, as far as I can see, has no integrated piezo annunciator, but expects a conventional magnetic speaker to be connected across a pair of pins on the mobo header. Have you connected such a speaker? If none are handy, I'm sure there are several that can be pilfered from pc's around the space.

Amberly Brown

Sep 13, 2017, 8:54:36 AM9/13/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I plugged in a wire that said "speaker" to the mobo. The old mobo did have integrated video, and had the same issue of no video signal...I thinking maybe the issue isn't the motherboards.

Amberly

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:47 AM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
Okay, looking at the manual for that mobo, it has no integrated video, so that casts some suspicion on your video card, cable or monitor. but... it also, as far as I can see, has no integrated piezo annunciator, but expects a conventional magnetic speaker to be connected across a pair of pins on the mobo header. Have you connected such a speaker? If none are handy, I'm sure there are several that can be pilfered from pc's around the space.

EschewObfuscation

Sep 13, 2017, 9:19:53 AM9/13/17
to Arch Reactor
That's possible; the cpu chip is the most complex part and the one that makes the whole pc industry possible. That said, it's paradoxic that they're *almost* never the fault. But that word "almost" is still operant...

Amberly Brown

Sep 18, 2017, 11:03:58 AM9/18/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Was the *#($& CPU. Put another (new) one in. Going to see if I can return the bad one...

Amberly

Even better, after 10 or so restarts, Windows magically started working again :) Of course, the only driver it didn't automatically load was for the ethernet... (I got it. Laptop and thumb drive for the win).