Wish I had a Pi tutor in my pocket

Vince

Jul 5, 2018, 3:29:10 PM7/5/18
to Arch Reactor
I have a new Pi 3 that I am trying to get OctiPi up and running.

I can't even get the wireless to work.   I have been through the above sites and yet my wireless does not activate.
I tried using both the octopi-network.txt method as well as sudo raspi-config.

Suggestions to debug?
Vince

Chris Weiss

Jul 5, 2018, 3:56:59 PM7/5/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
i don't know about octopi, but the normal debian/raspbian commands would be:

  • iwlist scan
    • should show the wifis in range
  • iwconfig
    • will show when it's configured/connected to one
  • ifconfig
    • will show when it also get an IP address
might have to run with sudo

Robert Kleeschulte

Jul 5, 2018, 4:07:09 PM7/5/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
All that I had to do was the octopi-network.txt file to get wireless to work. Just make sure the (comment) is removed from the line for SSID and password.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Vince

Jul 5, 2018, 4:09:17 PM7/5/18
to Arch Reactor
Did that.  No luck.

Vince

Jul 5, 2018, 4:12:42 PM7/5/18
to Arch Reactor
The iwlist shows my home network

Vince

Jul 5, 2018, 4:28:18 PM7/5/18
to Arch Reactor
OK.  Got it to work.
Ended up using vi to edit the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file.
What I had changed using Notepad++ was not there in the file.
I added the networking and changed the county to US.  It is more or less happy now.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Vince