Inkscape - giving text outlines width for engraving on the laser

Jim S

Dec 12, 2016, 11:43:48 PM12/12/16
to Arch Reactor
After the Inventor Forge Inkscape presentation tonight by Diane (good job by the way!) we were discussing how to outline text with two outlines so the outline (not the whole letters) could be engraved.  It's actually pretty simple:

Create your text.

Convert to outlines - Object to Path
  This gives you the letter outlines.

Select no fill, give stroke paint a color, and give the paths a heavy stroke style - as heavy as you want for the desired width.
  I used stroke of 20 px but my letters were very large so you probably want less.

Convert stroke to path.

Set fill to none - because of the large stoke style the letters may still be filled.

Set stroke style to something less for good visibility (I used 5 px)

You now have two outlines, one slightly smaller than the other that can be laser engraved.

Hope this is helpful to others...

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Dec 14, 2016, 3:06:30 PM12/14/16
to Arch Reactor
You should see about adding this to the Laser Cutter Guide on the AR website: https://archreactor.org/project/laser-cutter-guide

It is probably due for an update anyway.

Gene