Hydroponics/Indoor Farming Interests

Peter Webb

Sep 26, 2016, 1:34:16 PM9/26/16
to Arch Reactor
Hello, my name is Peter Webb. I have seen your website previously but had not noticed this Discussion Board. After talking to people at the Murmuration Festival I wanted to reach out and see if anyone in this group has a shared interest in any sort of automated farming or indoor controlled climate growth chambers.

I have built a number of these on a small scale, and am now receiving parts from the company I work for in order to build a lettuce farm inside of a shipping container. I see huge potential in the short term for this as a local small business opportunity, and the long run as a way to create sustainable food for decades to come. I'd love to meet with anyone who has experience or an interest in learning more about this, I plan to stop by your location this Tuesday evening (9/27/2016) but will also be checking back onto this forum as well.

I love what your group is doing, and would love to hear from any of you!

Thank You,
Peter Webb.

Morganism

Sep 26, 2016, 2:01:12 PM9/26/16
to Arch Reactor
Hi Peter,

I think that is a very interesting idea. I have seen people do similar things before. I am interested in some automated indoor climate control, but in terms of reptile husbandry and breed. I think many of the technologies (control heat/temperature, light, humidity) are going to be the same.  I also know one of members was working on something similar as well. I look forward to seeing you Tuesday night.

-Morgan

Nathan Schrenk

Sep 26, 2016, 2:02:15 PM9/26/16
to Arch Reactor
Hi Peter,

I don't know of any Arch Reactor members who are working on automated farming. Your message did spark my memory: someone named Steven Adamski started a discussion about greenhouse automation last year:

We do have a number of members who have worked on projects with various types of embedded computers (e.g. Raspberry Pi), microcontrollers, sensors, motors, etc, so if you are looking for a community of people to work on that type of thing with, Arch Reactor is probably a good place for you.

Nathan

Andrew Ricke

Sep 26, 2016, 3:23:54 PM9/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There's another new member working on smaller research-scale plant growing.  More for promoting rare-species for medical traits than for food purposes.  If he doesn't chime in, I'm sure his name will catch up with my brain later.  He's been in more the weekends than on Tuesday's though.

Robert Kleeschulte

Sep 26, 2016, 8:46:01 PM9/26/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

I have two aquaponic systems going at my house. Lager 350 gallon system outside and a smaller 25-30 gallon system inside. I have plans to so some automation, but have not put any major thought into it. Inside system is the closest to climate controlled as I can get to start my seeds early and have plants ready to go out in the spring.

Rob

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Peter Webb <webb.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Peter Webb

Sep 27, 2016, 11:17:43 AM9/27/16
to Arch Reactor
I've definitely looked towards terrarium and aquarium management as a baseline for when starting to DIY design these growth chambers. I also have had a pet snake (Ball Python) for the past twelve years so I too appreciate our reptile friends!

Looking forward to meeting you and talking,
Peter.

Peter Webb

Sep 27, 2016, 11:27:23 AM9/27/16
to Arch Reactor, nat...@schrenk.org
Thank you Nathan for pointing me in the direction of Steven. I left a note for him on that forum, it really sounds like he is interested in exactly what I am doing! Additionally, you are correct in that a community of people who know these platforms and capabilities of hardware is extremely valuable. I feel as though there is so much to be gained by friendly collaboration and to see you doing this as a community is really exciting.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction,
Peter Webb.

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 1:02:15 PM UTC-5, Nathan Schrenk wrote:
[...]

Peter Webb

Sep 27, 2016, 11:37:23 AM9/27/16
to Arch Reactor
Rob, that is very cool! I have visited an aquaponics farm by Delmar and Kingshighway. I would be curious to know what you are growing. Aquaponics has huge potential to me and I love it for the beauty of a self-sustaining system, however it has always been my understanding that the crop variety would be limited to plants with PPM requirements less than 800. What do you have growing currently, and with what fish?

I'd be interested to talk about your project some time, I plan to stop by the Arch Reactor this evening and hopefully will see you there!

Thanks for reaching out,
Peter Webb.

Tom Blevins

Oct 2, 2016, 7:06:00 PM10/2/16
to Arch Reactor
I was watching Feast TV from Channel 9 yesterday and they had a nice story on Anton's in KC
http://www.feastmagazine.com/youtube_06dafc64-28fd-11e6-9dcf-ef2c11cda58e.html
-Tom