Drywall Work progress

Andrew Ricke

Mar 4, 2017, 7:40:49 PM3/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I spent some time this afternoon (before I got called away earlier than intended) working on taping and intending to start mudding the walls in the Kitchenette/Lounge area.  Instead of getting to mudding, I spent a lot of time attempting to correct all the drywall screws, but didn't have my good drill.  The corded ones at the space had trouble with the required low speed torque and turning them by hand was painful and slow.

So, for those working on drywall in the future, please make sure to drill the screws all the way in so that they are indented to the paper.  Mud needs to be able to float over them with a blade

That will save some re-work as drywall screws tend to "rust" into place and become difficult to adjust.

For those looking for easy single-person work that needs little instruction, feel free to help indent the existing screws into the wall.  I'll try to come back Sunday or Monday to continue my work in the lounge.  I've left stuff moved away from the walls a bit.

Myles Farrell

Mar 4, 2017, 10:46:55 PM3/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We knew about the screws. We aren't ready for mudding yet and half the tape needs to be taken down to deepen the screws.

Andrew Ricke

Mar 4, 2017, 11:19:54 PM3/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
You don't need to remove the tape to fix the screws. Also as I said, it's something one can do by themselves without waiting on a work day, 3 people to lift drywall, or special guidance.

The weather is now perfectly warm enough for the mudding to dry, which tends to take 24hrs, then requires sanding, then another mud coat, 24hrs, etc. At our rate, that's 2 months for mudding!

Myles Farrell

Mar 4, 2017, 11:42:07 PM3/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Some of the screws under the tape are still too high and will need to be fixed. The plan was to finish the walls and then mud all at once. Have a mudding weekend bomb so we could do dust mitigation with painters plastic. We don't want people just sanding whenever they want so the dust can settle on everything. It doesn't make sense to do the largest dust creation job solo spread over weeks. There are plenty of one man jobs on the board next to the printer bench that haven't been touched if people are looking for things to do

Chris Weiss