Book scanner

Hroller McKnutt

Jul 2, 2015, 10:23:58 AM7/2/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a book scanner handy? (Yes, we can build one but we're working on a deadline)

Mike
--
Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

Keith Rogers

Jul 2, 2015, 12:28:01 PM7/2/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I don't...  is a book scanner a common thing to have now?

Hroller McKnutt

Jul 2, 2015, 12:48:04 PM7/2/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've got a few friends with them, none local though...

If it helps, most of those friends do historical reenactment type hobbies so they often scan out of print books they get via ILL and can only have for a short time, things like that. (That's what this request is about, an OOP jewelry book)

Mike

Keith Rogers

Jul 2, 2015, 2:12:43 PM7/2/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
neat.. so are these book scanners based on the scanner Google made a while back?  automated page turning and imaging with distortion correction, that sort of thing?

EschewObfuscation

Jul 3, 2015, 3:12:54 AM7/3/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Googles' are fancy; most use a sheet of glass to flatten the page and are manually operated. But they accomplish the same thing.

Hroller McKnutt

Jul 3, 2015, 9:26:42 AM7/3/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
One friend has a commercial scanner with page turning and distortion correction, the other is much more manual and I think he uses a script that manipulates the finished image (to turn every other page upright and name the files so they page correctly).

Mike

Aaron Ward

Jul 6, 2015, 9:29:11 AM7/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am also interested in this.

It could be a neat thing to have around the space.
For one or two books though, some cardboard boxes, scissors, a camera, bright light and a tripod could be sufficient.