Newbie question about 3D Printing

m...@andrewsimone.com

Apr 18, 2016, 6:38:44 PM4/18/16
to Arch Reactor
I'm interested in getting access to a 3D Printer. I've never used on before, but based on the schematics I have, I need something that can use a strong filament like T-Glase and Colorfabb to print out most of the parts I need (PLA and ABS may suffice, I'm told) for this custom joystick I'm making.

I'm happy to be whatever fees are required (membership, time and material costs), but I don't have a good sense of what's required from me to get access or even if this is something Arch has access to itself. Is it just as simple as stopping by after 7 o'clock and chatting with the right person?

Thanks.

EschewObfuscation

Apr 18, 2016, 6:55:32 PM4/18/16
to Arch Reactor
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 5:38:44 PM UTC-5, Andrew Simone wrote:

... Is it just as simple as stopping by after 7 o'clock and chatting with the right person?

Thanks.

Pretty much. "Just show up" will get you a feasibility estimate. If your object can be completed within the time window of a public meeting, (and you can cope with the competition for machine access!) you're 90% of the way there. But "just show up" is the way to get started, and welcome aboard!

Andrew Simone

Apr 18, 2016, 6:58:10 PM4/18/16
to Arch Reactor
Great. Thanks!

Morganism

Apr 18, 2016, 7:28:42 PM4/18/16
to Arch Reactor
The short version is show up and get to know people.

Longer version:
Arch Reactor is exactly for people like you. I would start with the 3d printer meet - up the 4th Friday of the month to get started 3d printing. Tuesday and Sunday nights the Space is open. You are welcome any time a full member opens the Space. We have a switch, when fully functioning after our move, will show the status of the Space. As a full member you will have access to all of our 3d printers and other equipment. Let me know if you have any further questions.