Roomba vs. knock-off

Morganism

Nov 21, 2016, 4:23:18 PM11/21/16
to Arch Reactor
Hello everyone,

I have decided it is time for me to get a robotic vacuum cleaner. Clearly, there is Roomba and everybody else. I have been looking at reviews online. It seems to me the knock-offs are almost as good as the Roomba. Anyone have thoughts, experiences, or recommendations?

-Morgan

Tom Blevins

Nov 22, 2016, 1:30:34 PM11/22/16
to Arch Reactor
How did you come to such an interesting conclusion?
To answer your question I really need some more specifics like what types of floors?, if carpet - how high is the carpet?, pets?
Do you want a bagless system or a HEPA system?
How much money do you want to invest into this endeavor?
-Tom

Morganism

Nov 22, 2016, 1:47:08 PM11/22/16
to Arch Reactor
I was thinking about gifts for the holidays, and concluded this is one gift that will make life much easier for those people doing chores at my house.

I have about a 50/50 of tile and carpet on my main floor. I have an upstairs and downstairs that are all carpet. I definitely want bagless, HEPA is nice to have but optional. Carpet is medium-short tight knit.

I have 2 large husky mixes that shed a large amount of fur.

I would like to pay about $200-$250, but from my research it looks like I will do better spending $300 if I have to.

Tom Blevins

Nov 22, 2016, 8:09:45 PM11/22/16
to Arch Reactor
So the most limiting factor is the money at $300 - $400 you are really only looking at a Roomba.
The cheaper than ones are crap.
-Tom

Morganism

Nov 23, 2016, 10:41:45 AM11/23/16
to Arch Reactor
So what models are you seeing at $300-$400 that would be worth buying?

Robert Ward

Nov 23, 2016, 10:51:30 AM11/23/16
to Arch Reactor
For what it's worth, I've had this one for about eight months and I've been mostly happy with it.  I have friends with Roombas, and they're definitely better at getting over rugs, cords, and other obstructions, but the cleaning is basically the same if you're willing to put in the effort to make sure your floor is clear.

Morganism

Nov 23, 2016, 10:58:03 AM11/23/16
to Arch Reactor
That is the main competitor that I was looking at. I do not have much in terms of cords that would be in the way. I have one transition from tile to carpet that I would be concerned about. However, that is substantially less than I was looking at paying. Does it have trouble running on the carpet? or just getting onto it?

Andrew Ricke

Nov 23, 2016, 5:10:58 PM11/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Any robot vaccum would be crap at hepa filtration. They just don't move the volume of filter or have the cfm values to matter. Anything there is a marketing gimmick.

The value of the robot vaccums in my opinion is the scheduler and self re-charging so you only worry about the occasional dirt dump out. Running a little puny vac and brush every day == the same clean of the big boy vacs you *might* use every week.

That's how I ran my old roomba and it kept my condo quite clean. It has a similar carpet to title split. It lasted thru battery replacements and several repairs before I finally had to scrap it. Now I have way less carpet, but I haven't yet gone the scuba route.

Robert Ward

Nov 23, 2016, 6:02:12 PM11/23/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My home is all hardwood, so I've never really had a chance to see how it deals with carpet.  It handles my bath mat okay, but I'm not sure if that's totally comparable.