Build out this weekend?

jimski...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 7:34:31 AM6/16/16
to Arch Reactor
What's the plan? Most of the builds have been late in the day but with the hot weather and no AC an early time (like 7 or 8 AM) would be much better (IMHO). Is no one else an early riser?

Do the AC units still need to be placed?

Nathan Schrenk

Jun 16, 2016, 11:19:39 AM6/16/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I attended the first couple hours of the electrical build day last Sunday, but wasn't able to stick around so I don't know everything that ended up being accomplished. At the point where I left the brackets for the AC condensers were mounted on the exterior wall (I think Myles and Dianne did that on Saturday) and Niels and various folks were working on the electrical supply to the AC units and on some exterior electrical for outlets and motion lights. I don't think anyone was planning on mounting the AC units this past weekend, so my guess is they still need to be placed.

I agree that starting work early would be a good idea. I have some family plans on Saturday morning, but could probably help out for a couple hours at AR if we started at 7:00 or so.

Nathan

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:34 AM, <jimski...@gmail.com> wrote:
What's the plan?  Most of the builds have been late in the day but with the hot weather  and no AC an early time (like 7 or 8 AM) would be much better (IMHO).  Is no one else an early riser?

Do the AC units still need to be placed?

Travis Megee

Jun 16, 2016, 11:27:07 AM6/16/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Condensers were lifted on Tuesday evening and secured to the mounts.

nfolken

Jun 16, 2016, 12:53:30 PM6/16/16
to Arch Reactor
I'm out of town most of this weekend for work, so unfortunately I won't be able to lead anything til Sunday night. Myles might be able to do something earlier.

You can of course always pick up any of the projects on the list and work on them yourself or organize your own build day.
https://archreactor.org/space-improvement-projects
If you would like to install some outlets, please be my guest! Take a look at the diagram and ask me any questions you may have.

As far as the AC units are concerned... They are mounted in place. Most of the electrical conduit has been run, except for some 1" (which we have) through the wall and across the ceilingand some liquid-tight (which we don't have yet) from the disconnects to the units. Then the 6 AWG wire (which we have) needs to be pulled in. Then our AC guy needs to run the linesets and pressurize the system.

Jim S

Jun 16, 2016, 2:06:42 PM6/16/16
to Arch Reactor
I have a fair amount of electrical wiring experience (not an electrician but have replaced main panels at a couple houses and did all the electrical in the current house) so I could help with the wiring for the AC outdoor units or the outlets.  I say help because I am not a full member so don't have ability to open AR but I think I could lead the actual work if I got some details clarified.  I looked at the linked drawings.   I see some small squares along the walls that I guess are outlets or switches, connected by lines that I take are the wire runs.  What isn't clear is where the panels are and the connections to them.  Do the runs need to be in conduit?  (probably at least up the wall but perhaps not on the cieling?)  Metal or PVC (almost no experience with metal)?  I would guess AC is more of a priority than outlets so can you give me some detailed info on what needs to happen...  More specifically where the conduits need to be run, where the disconnects will go (I am guessing they are allowed to be up by the units), etc.  Do we have the disconnects, switch/outlet boxes, etc?  Just don't want to do things that aren't what has been planned...Sounds like we are a ways from pulling the wire for the AC units so I won't worry about that for now.

nfolken

Jun 16, 2016, 10:08:02 PM6/16/16
to Arch Reactor
Tuesday night I finished putting in 2" conduit from the breaker to the middle of shop. Next, 1" conduit needs to be run from there out to the disconnect boxes that are already mounted (talk to Myles, as he started working on this). 10 AWG ground needs to be run between each box and grounded in the box. Then 4 runs of 6 AWG need to be pulled in, 2 marked with red tape. All the materials for that should be there. Give me a call if you have any questions, or want to move on to something else. 6050787. Also, I should point out that we decided to go a different route for the AC runs than is on the drawing, and the plan for the lighting has also changed. But otherwise, yes, squares are conduit boxes with outlets, lines are conduit runs, with blue on the ceiling and purple on the wall. Zigzag lines can be single circuit flex-conduit runs.

jimski...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 10:49:53 PM6/16/16
to Arch Reactor
That helps. Just found out I have a morning Saturday conflict and have an early evening commitment too. Sunday would be better for me so I propose an 8 AM start. Need to have someone open and its good to have at least one other person to work with anyway. Anyone up for Sunday morning?

Frank Kallal

Jun 17, 2016, 12:07:48 AM6/17/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm out a town until next week, i'll be in the elp after that point..