Looking for phone bank locations

ellenms...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2015, 5:01:21 PM8/7/15
to Arch Reactor
Hi. I'm a volunteer volunteer coordinator for the St. Louis for Bernie Sanders' team. We are looking for phone bank locations (essentially, just space for people to gather with their cell phones to make calls), and one of our volunteers suggested your space. If this is a possibility, it could be a one time, few times, or regular thing. Our phone banks are scheduled in the evenings. Thanks!

Chris Weiss

Aug 7, 2015, 5:14:03 PM8/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
hm.  we'd have to be careful about this sort of thing as our 501c3 status strictly prohibits and sort of political affiliation.  however, if the space were available for any candidate's team would that make it ok?

note this is not an official response, just adding my 2 cents.

Andrew Ricke

Aug 8, 2015, 11:47:47 AM8/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Agreed with Chris. If we open up to all parties we'd get a bit occupied by something not the organization's purpose.  Still requires a full-member to have the space open and we'd run into our own volunteer issues for that. We had that debate with religious affiliations before.

Also I'm not in favor of needing to be quiet during our move period where deconstruction, shop use, and other moving noise is going on.

Our only political nature is the old-guard and new-guy parties.

On Friday, August 7, 2015, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
hm.  we'd have to be careful about this sort of thing as our 501c3 status strictly prohibits and sort of political affiliation.  however, if the space were available for any candidate's team would that make it ok?

note this is not an official response, just adding my 2 cents.

Ellen Schaeffer

Aug 8, 2015, 12:17:38 PM8/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That all makes perfect sense, and I really appreciate your response. And I'm also thrilled to have learned about Arch Reactor. My daughter and I will definitely be visiting.

Ellen

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.

Deech

Aug 9, 2015, 9:32:32 AM8/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

We've had this discussion before and actually came to a decision at the time.

The Official Stance : while 501c3 rules do allow limited political/religious affiliation, Arch Reactor is intentionally a religion and politics free zone. Opening up to any one group means opening up to all groups and that means someone would be angry at some point that AR is providing support to that group they don't like. So we don't support any group like that. It's not related to or in support of our mission anyway, and could very easily become detrimental, so we just don't do it.

We don't even allow discussion of either at the space. The reason is because our membership is widely spaced along the religious and political scale, far left to far right and everything in between and we've found the best way to get along is to simply not talk about the most divisive topics.

Basically, we keep Pandora's box closed and everyone is much happier for it.

It's remarkable how well people get along when you take those two topics off the table.

-Deech