Need a Hardware Partner

James Finley

Apr 12, 2016, 12:57:24 PM4/12/16
to Arch Reactor
Hey Arch Reactor Hackers!

I've been playing with a project for the last year and am at the point of needing someone that knows more than I do with hardware. Preferably, I'd like a partner that can help bring a product from concept, to prototype, to a sellable product. I've more of less narrowed down what is necessary to make a prototype and even bought much of the hardware, but as a software developer (iOS and web) I am out of my element and feel it would be better to have a partner with experience in this as I build the non-hardware component (iOS app to start).

If you are interested in hearing more about what I'm working on and think you might like to partner with me, I'd love to exchange email addresses and chat.

nfolken

Apr 13, 2016, 12:40:25 AM4/13/16
to Arch Reactor
Could we get a little more info? 'Hardware' is a pretty wide term. Are you talking about help making circuits, robotics, mechanical design, 3D printing, woodworking, machining, molding...?

James Finley

Apr 13, 2016, 9:32:44 AM4/13/16
to Arch Reactor
Yeah, absolutely! I'm working on a fitness device for archery. Read information from a sensor and transmit to a smartphone via Bluetooth. At least for the prototyping stage, not much outside of circuitry and Arduino coding would be necessary, but eventually 3D printing for product designing and likely molding and PCB design for final product.

James Finley

Apr 14, 2016, 11:29:52 AM4/14/16
to Arch Reactor
If partnership is undesirable, we can figure out some sort of compensation, as I am really passionate about getting this project moving.

Ben West

Apr 14, 2016, 12:03:43 PM4/14/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Please note I'm not writing this in any attempt to throw around wet blankets.  I have a background in hardware design, but I have seen many former start-up employments of my own gradually evaporate away due to sad realities of attempting to design and sell custom hardware, at least on this hemisphere.  (That is, I would share your interest in hardware design, but presently am unable to pursue such myself.)

I would strongly encourage folks interested in this do thorough research about whether any existing products (e.g. Fitbit) may be adaptable to the purpose described.  Designing your own hardware from the ground up and then attempting to sell it successfully will fail, statistically speaking.  Especially so if there happens to be an existing product on the market that could achieve 80% of what you're wanting to do.  For example, does the proposed product need to be fully stand-alone, or could it be a bluetooth peripheral for some host devices like a Fitbit or a smartphone?

I should note that none of this doom-and-gloom should apply to tinkering and hobbyist projects.  It's that just economic realities of pursuing hardware design through to mass production are quite stark.

James Finley

Apr 14, 2016, 12:26:16 PM4/14/16
to Arch Reactor, m...@benwest.name
Fair enough, Ben. That said, there is no device on market that does what I am looking to do. Not even 10% of what I am looking to do. While you are correct that bringing a hardware product to market is extremely hard and that the odds are stacked against you from the start, I do believe that I have something and intend to pursue it. Prototyping it to the point of getting investors and/or grants that then allow for manufacturing to be sent oversees is the most likely outcome, aside from absolutely failure, but to get there I need a prototype. If someone would prefer, especially considering that the odds are stacked against success, to be compensated instead of partner with me, I'm full willing to chat about that as well. That way we can limit the risk on you.

Amberly Brown

Apr 14, 2016, 12:38:52 PM4/14/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, m...@benwest.name
There are so many great start up ideas! Have you heard of the new Cortex district in St. Louis? Did you know they love start ups? Check out their website for information about weekly open houses with Venture Cafe:

Also lots of great work with NonProfits!

YIS,

Amberly
P.S. I don't work for them, but I do work in the 4240 Duncan building, and get to see lots of interesting presentations in the lobby.

James Finley

Apr 14, 2016, 1:18:34 PM4/14/16
to Arch Reactor, m...@benwest.name
Great suggestion, Amberly! I might head over there after work tonight.