serial-wifi group by

Chris Weiss

Sep 16, 2014, 10:19:30 AM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
there's a new arduino compatible wifi breakout just out, it's $5 right
now. looks easy to use. who's in? I'd like to order before 5pm.

Kamikaze Joe

Sep 16, 2014, 10:57:42 AM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
$5 for wifi?  yes please.  At least 4.  maybe more.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
there's a new arduino compatible wifi breakout just out, it's $5 right
now.  looks easy to use.  who's in?  I'd like to order before 5pm.

Travis Megee

Sep 16, 2014, 11:08:44 AM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
More details on the module?

Travis

Aaron Ward

Sep 16, 2014, 11:22:48 AM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Chris Weiss

Sep 16, 2014, 12:37:00 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
code https://github.com/imjosh/espBasicExample/blob/master/espBasicExample.ino

Seeed's sold out page
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/WiFi-Serial-Transceiver-Module-w-ESP8266-p-1994.html

it's pretty basic, the standard libraries won't work with it yet, but
many people are hacking at them and I'm sure they will soon.

Xsfx2000

Sep 16, 2014, 12:51:47 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Two, please- I get paid on the 26th.

ROB K

Sep 16, 2014, 1:43:11 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for 2.

Travis Megee

Sep 16, 2014, 1:43:36 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Put me down for two as well.

Travis

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Xsfx2000 <xsfx...@gmail.com> wrote:

Two, please- I get paid on the 26th.

Bob S.

Sep 16, 2014, 3:15:32 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
$5 is a good price for those!  I will go in for two.

Thanks!
-Bob

Morganism

Sep 16, 2014, 3:16:13 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am in for 2, please.

Brad Tissi

Sep 16, 2014, 4:59:18 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
2 please. If I knew how to use it, I'd go in for more.
If I figure it out, I'll check back with you.

Chris Weiss

Sep 16, 2014, 5:10:43 PM9/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I've ordered 20, which are now all claimed.

there's more at http://www.ebay.com/itm/281430286471

Chris Weiss

Sep 19, 2014, 12:53:05 PM9/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
they've arrived ahead of schedule, I don't know if I'll make it up tot
the space before Tues, but if you want yours we might be able to work
something out

Robert Satchell

Sep 19, 2014, 2:57:28 PM9/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Tuesday is fine with me...

Brad Tissi

Sep 19, 2014, 3:03:57 PM9/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have no rush as long as I can reserve the 2 (assuming that I was in the original count).

George Fetters

Sep 19, 2014, 3:32:15 PM9/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll take 4 please.

George Fetters

Sep 19, 2014, 3:32:53 PM9/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Crap this is old :(

Chris Weiss

Sep 19, 2014, 4:42:29 PM9/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
there's an email link in the thread somewhere, might still be valid

Chris Weiss

Sep 23, 2014, 12:17:15 PM9/23/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Chris Weiss

Sep 23, 2014, 5:20:40 PM9/23/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So far i don't see any libraries that would be a drop in replacement
for the arduino ethernet and/or wifi libraries. anyone want to work
with me on that?

Chris Weiss

Sep 23, 2014, 11:23:21 PM9/23/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My adventures for the evening http://archreactor.org/project/esp8266

nfolken

Sep 24, 2014, 2:27:17 AM9/24/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
good way to end a thread :)

I was hoping to jump on at the end after not checking the forums for a week, but honestly I don't know what I'd do with it. I already have an unused TI CC3000...

George Fetters

Sep 24, 2014, 3:30:36 PM9/24/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Don't know if you have seen this.  Here is a working example displaying the weather for a location polled over the wifi module.  There is no wifi library in this.  He is just passing the AT commands over softserial to the module, but its a working example of how you can use these.

Now if mine would only arrive in the mail :(

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
My adventures for the evening http://archreactor.org/project/esp8266

Chris Weiss

Sep 24, 2014, 3:56:42 PM9/24/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
that's basically the same code, but i think there's more delays in
this one. maybe it's because I'm not using software serial and so
there's a new timing issue

George Fetters

Sep 26, 2014, 4:55:58 PM9/26/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Someone's got a library.  Looks like he made a wifi enabled light with the ESP8266.

https://github.com/cnlohr/wi07clight

Chris Weiss

Sep 26, 2014, 6:33:49 PM9/26/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
at first i was excited, and then I read the code and cried a little.
goto's? really?

still some useful things in there. this will help I think. not sure
I like that it only works on the hardware serial ports, but I can
modify that i think.

George Fetters

Oct 2, 2014, 4:23:11 PM10/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Chris Weiss

Oct 2, 2014, 5:02:46 PM10/2/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
interesting. I hope someone can fix some of the issues in the firmware then.

- you can't set a static IP, DHCP is it.
- the DNS is hard coded, so you can't use local DNS.
- some way to ICMP ping from it would be nice.
- I've found that about half the time, if you join a network that
isn't available, it says it joins and half the time it errors as it
should.
- when it does join, some times it take a long time to get an IP, or
doesn't get one at all, in which case querying anything says "BUSY"
- AT+RST also fails when it's in BUSY mode, so hard reset is the only option.

most of this is pretty minor or can worked around. My plan is to port
that Wi07 code to an actual arduino library, and some checks. current
plan is this: on power up see if it has an IP, if not, make it unjoin
and do a scan, then compare the scan with the requested join and join
only if available. I'll also have an example sketch that will have
multiple networks in an array, and a fail back AP config, so that
it'll join one of several known networks and make its own AP if there
are no known networks.

Chris Weiss

Oct 16, 2014, 3:39:52 PM10/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
looks like itead beat me to a proper library
https://github.com/itead/ITEADLIB-ESP8266

I haven't tested it yet, but the examples look sane.

Derek Sigler

Jan 7, 2015, 3:57:49 PM1/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
If you ordered one of these, check out this simple tutorial:

looks like itead beat me to a proper library
https://github.com/itead/ITEADLIB-ESP8266

I haven't tested it yet, but the examples look sane.

Brad Tissi

Jan 7, 2015, 9:13:10 PM1/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Crap, forgot about these. Chris, do you still have any for me?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.

Chris Weiss

Jan 8, 2015, 9:07:45 AM1/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think i had already ordered when you replied.  they are still very easy to get on ebay though

Aaron Ward

Jan 11, 2015, 11:06:34 PM1/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I just got mine working after I have no idea how long I've been working on this.

I am using an Arduino Duemilanove as a USB - Serial converter.
I had to wire TX from the Arduino to a 4050 5-3.3 level converter to RX of the ESP8266.
I had to wire TX from the ESP8266 to RX of the Arduino.
I had to pull RESET to 3.3v. I soldered a jumper but apparently it wasn't functioning properly hence why it took me so long to get it work.

I was able to join my home AP and am able to ping and get a response.

This is how I feel:

I will be bragging to you all on Tuesday!

George Fetters

Jan 12, 2015, 10:03:27 AM1/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Bring it.  I would like to see it in action.

Chris Weiss

Jan 26, 2015, 9:32:46 AM1/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
ITead's got some new products with this wifi chip

xbee format with more GPIOs usable
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/wireless/gsm-gprs-and-wifi/im141118001.html

MEGA compatible, sort of, with an ESP and other wireless sockets, and
runs at 3.3V. theoretically you could run 2 ESPs and make a wifi
bridge of sorts. not a true bridge, just pre-programmed interface
relays http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im141125005.html

A/C power shield with relay and xbee
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im141125003.html

combo usb-serial and xbee adapter with 3.3V/5V switch
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im141125006.html

Aaron Ward

Feb 26, 2015, 10:33:57 AM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm tired of trying to half ass this thing on a breadboard so I just bought parts to build a bunch of these esp8266 breadboard adapters:
They'll be ready in a week or so and I'll have them in a box at the space.

In an unrelated note:

My first project for this thing is a power monitor.
I built a node webserver on a raspberry pi to receive data from the ESP8266.
The server functions by reading get requests and taking the query variable and storing it as the current electrical usage. Example url: 192.168.1.124:3000/senddata?power=100
This makes the server take the value 100 and put it into a database.
I am able to pull up the URL in Chrome/Firefox and the server creates a new entry in the database. When I use the 8266 and the following commands:
AT+CIPSEND=4,25
GET /senddata?power=289

I get 'Send OK' but the server doesn't add the 289 value to the database.

Any ideas before I go and register at the 8266 forums? I imagine it has something to do with the headers that Chrome/Firefox provide.

Chris Weiss

Feb 26, 2015, 11:42:56 AM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
you need more than just a GET, like the HTTP version, and a blank line too

good example at
http://www.esqsoft.com/examples/troubleshooting-http-using-telnet.htm
the "host" line may be optional. use telnet to test and get error
messages back, and once it works in telnet, then implement those
commands in the sketch

Aaron Ward

Feb 26, 2015, 1:43:17 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
telnet works with the following:
GET /senddata?power=100

but I have to hit 'enter' twice after typing the command.
Once I hit enter twice, I can see in the server console that the url is processed and data is added to the database.

Is using enter in telnet the same as an \r\n added at the end of the AT command? I tried this (\r\n\r\n) earlier and couldn't get it working properly.

Chris Weiss

Feb 26, 2015, 1:57:21 PM2/26/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
yes. make sure you change the 25 to a 27 to account for the extra
pair of characters.

Aaron Ward

Mar 31, 2015, 10:20:40 AM3/31/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Update: Got the ESP8266 working with AT commands with an Arduino.

This SparkFun humidity sensor gets read every minute by the Arduino. The Arduino then runs sends the data through a level shifter to the ESP8266 and runs through the required AT commands and the data is posted (not a true post method but half-assing with a get and query) on a node server on a raspi. raspi spits out a chart and shows me humidity history.

Humidity sensor seems to be drifting a little but I'm happy that things are working. The ESP8266 is very stable and has been working for a week straight. This is all still a work in progress but If you want to see the chart I can send you a URL to look at.

Chris Weiss

Apr 1, 2015, 6:56:50 PM4/1/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
this will certainly be a game changer once the dust settles and the
docs catch up http://makezine.com/2015/04/01/esp8266-5-microcontroller-wi-fi-now-arduino-compatible/