Weather ballooning this weekend.

Derek Sigler

Jun 1, 2016, 11:22:07 AM6/1/16
to Arch Reactor
The short:
   We’ll be launching two weather balloons ~9:00 and 10:30 AM this Saturday, June 4th.  Everyone one is invited.  Pictures will be streaming down live and are fun to watch.  You can participate in the chase if you wish, but only with full cars,  no solo driving on chase.  Try to car pool as much as possible.  Dustin and I can’t facilitate that, as we plan to be in Damiansville by 7:30AM.  Goal is to have all payloads retrieved by 1:30 and back in St. Louis by 3:00.  For this flight we are really focusing on getting to the predicted landing sight with haste for reliable retrieval.  Any questions, just ask!
Thanks,
-derek

The long:
Saint Louis Space Frontiers and HAB.education/Arch Reactor will launch two weather balloons into nearspace to bolster the STEM community in the region. Space Frontiers has been working with college students and faculty at Saint Louis University over the past semester. Last month, HAB.education launched a balloon with junior high school students from Loyola Academy of Saint Louis. In both cases, students helped program and assemble electronics aboard the crafts. "There are several groups in Missouri currently using high altitude balloons to teach STEM skills. We hope to build that community," says Dustin Mayfield-Jones, Co-Founder of HAB.education, a website that follows and reports on high altitude ballooning for scientific and educational aims. Sally Kula, an advocate for space exploration and leader of the Space Frontiers launch says, " insert sally quote". The two teams plan to hold a workshop this summer for educators interested in learning more about using high altitude balloons in their classrooms. The workshop will take place at Arch Reactor, a local hackerspace that has been launching HABs since 2012 and continues to be a critical resource for the region's community of balloonatics. Balloons will launch at approximately 9 and 10:30 June 4th from Damiansville, IL. After the launches, HAB.education will provide a free presentation from 3-5 at the Julia Davis branch of the Saint Louis Public Library. Follow the flights on Twitter @BalloonEDU and @NSS_Stl
(I really like the Sally quote!)

David Diederich

Jun 3, 2016, 3:19:51 PM6/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Any room for additional payload.  I have a Ricoh Theta 360 degree camera I would be willing to send up.

Derek Sigler

Jun 3, 2016, 5:17:14 PM6/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We generally have a "no last minute attachments" policy.  However, if you bring it to AR tonight while we do payload assembly, we can discuss how to get it on the next flight.
-derek

Jun 4, 2016, 11:38:29 PM6/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Reviewing the gasoline / money situation, I'm sorry, can't make it this time, and you know me, I *want* to make it, every time.
So; Good launching & Happy Hunting.
-Lloyd