Microcontroller with Ethernet suggestions?

nfolken

Sep 29, 2015, 4:24:35 PM9/29/15
to Arch Reactor
I am kind of surprised that there isn't a widespread Ethernet equivalent of the ESP8266. It seems like such overkill to use a raspberry pi just to ping and flip a relay. Does anyone know of a simple, low cost board with both networking and a PIC or AVR?

Nathan Schrenk

Sep 29, 2015, 5:44:51 PM9/29/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I tried looking for something like this a while back and most of the microcontroller boards I found that had Ethernet MAC/PHY/jack on them cost either the same or more than a Raspberry Pi. Mostly much more. I was hoping to find something for $10 but failed.

I found this one TI LaunchPad board EK-TM4C1294XL that is slightly less than an Raspberry Pi at $19.99: http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launchpads-connected-ek-tm4c1294xl.html

When C.H.I.P. starts shipping it'll be a $9 board that includes WiFi and Bluetooth: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer/description

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am kind of surprised that there isn't a widespread Ethernet equivalent of the ESP8266. It seems like such overkill to use a raspberry pi just to ping and flip a relay. Does anyone know of a simple, low cost board with both networking and a PIC or AVR?

Travis Megee

Sep 29, 2015, 5:52:06 PM9/29/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Definitely not a AIO like you want but I always use a ENC28J60 with my uc whenever I need network connectivity for a project.

Travis

EschewObfuscation

Sep 29, 2015, 6:00:03 PM9/29/15
to Arch Reactor
Something like this? You likely get only a raw packet, have to write or find a library for higher level protocols.

Nathan Schrenk

Sep 29, 2015, 8:49:20 PM9/29/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That is just the add-on board: you need a separate microcontroller and then connect this. I think he was looking for a single board with both Ethernet and microcontroller on it.

EschewObfuscation

Sep 30, 2015, 12:25:48 AM9/30/15
to Arch Reactor, nat...@schrenk.org
True; if two miniboards stuck together won't do, someone probably sells one board with both chips on it.

nfolken

Sep 30, 2015, 10:43:03 AM9/30/15
to Arch Reactor, nat...@schrenk.org
The ENC28J60 is also what I have been looking at. I was thinking of pairing it with an adafruit trinket, but the ATTiny doesn't have enough memory to run a software TCP/IP stack. There are PIC microcontrollers with TCP/IP built in, but I can't find any easy-to-use development boards that use it.

Travis Megee

Sep 30, 2015, 11:04:34 AM9/30/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
At that point its easier to use a WizNet module to offload but definitely not cheaper.

Travis

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 9:43 AM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:
The ENC28J60 is also what I have been looking at. I was thinking of pairing it with an adafruit trinket, but the ATTiny doesn't have enough memory to run a software TCP/IP stack. There are PIC microcontrollers with TCP/IP built in, but I can't find any easy-to-use development boards that use it.

Chris Weiss

Sep 30, 2015, 11:28:20 AM9/30/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
an arduino Pro Mini clone is cheap and abut the same size as the ENC module, and can be hand in 8Mhz 3.3V for low power.

nfolken

Oct 1, 2015, 2:35:38 PM10/1/15
to Arch Reactor
Pro mini + ENC28J60 from china is about $7, which is just what I'm looking for. Only problem is that the pro-mini can only supply 150mA of 3.3v, and the ENC28J60 needs anywhere up to 200mA, so I'll need another regulator to power it.

Chris Weiss

Oct 1, 2015, 2:56:02 PM10/1/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
even the 3.3V pro mini?