Potential computer donation source question

Amberly Brown

Nov 3, 2016, 9:43:42 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I recently learned that most of my departments computers will be replaced in the next few months. After talking to the tech, I found out that the university (Wash U) typically has EHS (environmental and health services) dispose of the computers. The exact models and specs vary, but they replace them whenever Dell stops supporting them. So the computers are about 3 years old, and mostly SFF (slim form factor?). It is possible for a department to decide to donate the computers, (minus the hard drives due to HIPPA). Is this something that Arch Reactor would be interested in? Looks like my model is:

Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF
Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GH
8.00 GB ram

I know three years is a lifetime in computers, I'm hoping to get "my" computer as my desktop at home is from 2008, so this is an upgrade for me for sure ;)

If nothing else, I was thinking it could be useful for one of the hack-a-thons /super bowl of destruction/ teach kids whats in electronics. Or not. Figured I'd ask :)

Sincerely,

Amberly

Jim S

Nov 3, 2016, 10:31:03 AM11/3/16
to Arch Reactor
That seems like a reasonably good computer so I would think there would be interest.

There was some recent talk of upgrading some of the AR laptops with SSDs so replacing the drives would be a similar thing.  I am not sure about software.  There may be ways for non-profits to get MS products for very low cost.  Or avoid that whole issue and use linux.

Beyond using the laptops as laptops there are also hacks to make picture frames out of them or use them for various other hacking.

I would think super bowl of destruction would be a last resort.

Amberly Brown

Nov 3, 2016, 10:38:28 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick clarification, these are desktop models, not lap tops.

Amberly

Amberly Brown

Nov 3, 2016, 10:39:06 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Although, if we set up an "ongoing" donation, there maybe opportunities to get laptops and other equipment in the future.

Ben West

Nov 3, 2016, 10:41:18 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Unrelated to the hardware donation, best way for non-profits to get MS products (and license seats for other commercial products) at discount is Techsoup and possibly Ebay.

Myles Farrell

Nov 3, 2016, 10:46:24 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Not the newest computers in the world, but not completely obsolete either. Definitely better than what is running the laser now. Does anyone know the specs on that. There has also been talk of  setting up lab computers dedicated to CAD. Probably worth it.

Message has been deleted

Morganism

Nov 3, 2016, 10:59:09 AM11/3/16
to Arch Reactor
As Myles said, they are not brand new but they are good enough to run most of what we need. They will be upgrades in some cases. I do not know how they compare to our laptops.

I think they will be very useful in our new classroom. I can see us using as many as you can get. Like you said, anything we cannot use for the Space, we can use at the Superbowl.

We should be able to provide a tax form for the donation as well. Might save the school money.

Robert Kleeschulte

Nov 3, 2016, 11:10:30 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have the i7 4770 it is stronger then what I need for gaming.

I don't use the CPU graphics, but a computer at my office uses that CPU for AutoCAD and Inventor without issues in large assemblies.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Amberly Brown

Nov 3, 2016, 11:22:29 AM11/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good,  I will start researching and getting this set up. Probably January before I can get them (when my specific team/office is due for upgrades) but It'll depend on what they say :)

Amberly

Tom Blevins

Nov 6, 2016, 6:04:08 PM11/6/16
to Arch Reactor
These are good computers. Amazon sells them refurbished for $535 but those of course have hard drives and an os.
-Tom