EFF and Arch Reactor

Shahid Buttar

Oct 3, 2016, 8:58:14 PM10/3/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, Camille Ochoa

I was referred to Arch Reactor by Scott Kampas at PLEA for Justice, which recently joined a grassroots network launched by EFF to bring together activists concerned about surveillance, as well as corporate control over access to culture (eg copyright restrictions or digital locks on film, video, music) and science (eg patent trolls inhibiting innovation).

A few months ago, we co-hosted an event at SLU Law School with PLEA for Justice and several student groups to teach activists how to use simple-yet-powerful encryption tools to protect the security and privacy of their communications.

Would you be interested in hosting a similar sort of workshop this fall, or alternatively (or in addition?) convening St. Louis-based technologists for EFF staff to train as trainers to extend the reach of that model? I suspect there may also be some interesting synergies with local campaigns challenging police surveillance about which we'd love to share more.

Please let me know when we could speak. We look forward to connecting with you and helping support your work from afar!

Many thanks for your work,

Shahid
--
Shahid Buttar
Director of Grassroots Advocacy

Morganism

Oct 4, 2016, 11:31:01 AM10/4/16
to Arch Reactor, cam...@eff.org, sha...@eff.org
This is exactly my specialty, so I will be general and leave the specifics to others.

Sounds like something some of our members might be interested in. Check out our 2600 club on facebook or meetup. To host an event would require a full member to be present and set up the time. Come down to the Space and start talking to people. Maybe we can work something out.

Shahid Buttar

Oct 4, 2016, 5:03:42 PM10/4/16
to Morganism, Arch Reactor, cam...@eff.org

I'll look forward to dropping by the space when I'm next in town.

Would you be open to a phone call before then? We live and work in San Francisco, so if we wanted to organize a joint event it might behoove us to discuss it before we get a chance to meet in person.

Warm regards,

Shahid

signature.asc

Robert Ward

Oct 5, 2016, 11:14:10 AM10/5/16
to Arch Reactor, sha...@eff.org
Hey Shahid,

I'd be happy to get on the phone and talk about what kind of event we could put on here at Arch Reactor.  I was actually at the event you did at SLU a few months ago, and I'd be really excited to see the same kind of a presentation at AR.

I'm posting this to our list right now just so you don't get messages from a bunch of different people, but I'll follow up with my phone number in another email.

Robert

Camille Ochoa

Oct 21, 2016, 3:44:41 PM10/21/16
to Morganism, Arch Reactor, Shahid Buttar
Hi there,

Would you or someone else from Arch Reactor be available to speak with
Shahid on Monday 10/24 at 5 pm CDT (3 pm PDT) regarding a possible
workshop or training?

Feel free to propose alternative dates and times.

Thanks,

--
Camille Ochoa
Coordinator, Grassroots Advocacy

https://eff.org
https://eff.org/efa

On 10/4/16 2:03 PM, Shahid Buttar wrote:
> I'll look forward to dropping by the space when I'm next in town.
>
> Would you be open to a phone call before then? We live and work in San
> Francisco, so if we wanted to organize a joint event it might behoove us
> to discuss it before we get a chance to meet in person.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Shahid
>

> On 10/4/16 8:31 AM, Morganism wrote:
>> This is exactly my specialty, so I will be general and leave the
>> specifics to others.
>>
>> Sounds like something some of our members might be interested in.
>> Check out our 2600 club on facebook or meetup. To host an event would
>> require a full member to be present and set up the time. Come down to
>> the Space and start talking to people. Maybe we can work something out.
>>
>> On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 7:58:14 PM UTC-5, Shahid Buttar wrote:
>>
>> I was referred to Arch Reactor by Scott Kampas at PLEA for
>> Justice, which recently joined a grassroots network
>> <https://www.eff.org/EFA> launched by EFF to bring together
>> activists concerned about surveillance, as well as corporate
>> control over access to culture (eg copyright restrictions or
>> digital locks on film, video, music) and science (eg patent trolls
>> inhibiting innovation).
>>
>> A few months ago, we co-hosted an event
>> <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/04/community-groups-come-together-across-us-promote-digital-rights>
>> at SLU Law School with PLEA for Justice and several student groups
>> to teach activists how to use simple-yet-powerful encryption tools
>> to protect the security and privacy of their communications.
>>
>> Would you be interested in hosting a similar sort of workshop this
>> fall, or alternatively (or in addition?) convening St. Louis-based
>> technologists for EFF staff to train as trainers to extend the
>> reach of that model? I suspect there may also be some interesting
>> synergies with local campaigns challenging police surveillance
>> about which we'd love to share more.
>>
>> Please let me know when we could speak. We look forward to
>> connecting with you and helping support your work from afar!
>>
>> Many thanks for your work,
>>
>> Shahid
>>
>> --
>> Shahid Buttar
>> Director of Grassroots Advocacy
>> Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
>> sha...@eff.org <javascript:>
signature.asc

Robert Ward

Oct 21, 2016, 3:52:15 PM10/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, Morganism, cam...@eff.org, Shahid Buttar
Hi Camille,

This is Robert Ward, I was at the training the EFF did at WashU a few months ago and I'd be happy to see a similar event happen at Arch Reactor.  Since I'm the co-organizer of the 2600 group I think it probably makes the most sense for me to talk with you about setting something up.

I'd be happy to talk with Shahid on Monday.  I believe I sent my phone number to him directly a while ago, but please feel free to email me off list if it got lost.  I'm also happy to call in to you if it makes it easier.

Thanks,

Robert

Camille Ochoa

Oct 21, 2016, 3:58:24 PM10/21/16
to Robert Ward, arch-r...@googlegroups.com, Morganism, Shahid Buttar
Great! We look forward to speaking with you. Since I'm basically
Shahid's right arm now, I try to be on most of his calls. With that in
mind, let's use my conference line:

(641) 715-0700
access code: 155987

Feel free to invite whomever you think would benefit from the call as well.

Looking forward to speaking with you,

--
Camille Ochoa
Coordinator, Grassroots Advocacy
Electronic Frontier Foundation
815 Eddy Street SF CA 94109
415.436.9333 x118
PGP Fingerprint: F15F 1BF5 FA39 2F2D 7B4A 0BBC BF49 291C F6A6 8957

https://eff.org
https://eff.org/efa

> 415.436.9333 x118 <tel:(415)%20436-9333>
> >> sha...@eff.org <mailto:sha...@eff.org> <javascript:>
> >> 415 436 9333 x. 171 <tel:(415)%20436-9333>
> >>

> > --
> > Shahid Buttar
> > Director of Grassroots Advocacy
> > Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
> > sha...@eff.org <mailto:sha...@eff.org>
> > 415 436 9333 x. 171 <tel:(415)%20436-9333>
> >

> --
signature.asc