cubesat to the moon?

Chris Weiss

Mar 23, 2015, 12:31:21 PM3/23/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Brad Tissi

Mar 24, 2015, 3:28:24 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome. I can't even think of experiments that I would like to do from a satellite, but the potential alone is enough to pitch in some if we want a slot.

Of course telemetry as an educational tool would be great if nothing else.

This is one of those things that could benefit from a collaboration of hackerspaces. It could have a variety of functions and capabilities that all participating spaces could use, etc.

Chris Weiss

Mar 24, 2015, 3:30:12 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
only thing I can think of is just add a piezo element and hardcode a
wav that says "to the moon, alice" once a minute

Brad Tissi

Mar 24, 2015, 3:49:42 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
How about a ham radio duality experiment?

28MHz could make it through the atmosphere, and is the longest wavelength to use the least power. The detectors could be small and togglable on a cycle.
I doubt that there'd be enough power available, but it would be cool to be the first (maybe?) to reproduce the duality experiment through atmos.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
only thing I can think of is just add a piezo element and hardcode a
wav that says "to the moon, alice" once a minute

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 24, 2015, 3:54:57 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
"That's not an astronaut, that's a TV comedian! And he was just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife."

Fry from Futurama

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
only thing I can think of is just add a piezo element and hardcode a
wav that says "to the moon, alice" once a minute

Ben West

Mar 24, 2015, 4:59:42 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My thought was actually whether the mockup illustration of the satellite was complete, since I didn't see any obvious antenna for telemetry.  Possibly integrated into the solar array?

Or perhaps communication would only be done while the satellite is close to Earth?

Hroller McKnutt

Mar 24, 2015, 9:26:50 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
28 MHz CAN make it through the ionosphere, depending on the time of day... (like, not so much daytime, but nighttime is a go)

We regularly make contact on 2 meters (146 MHz) and 70 Cems (440 MHz) via satellite repeaters (FM, CW, SSB, and digital), including APRS/Packet with the ISS and sometimes voice to the ISS as well.

Mike (WY0M)

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Brad Tissi <bti...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

Brad Tissi

Apr 13, 2015, 9:17:05 AM4/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yep, the campaign was cancelled. Maybe an additional test failed.