need help troubleshooting a laser cutter

Ann Boes

Jun 15, 2017, 11:13:43 AM6/15/17
to Arch Reactor
Hi all,
I  just purchased a used laser for Lab:Revolution that needs some work. The person I bought it from purchased it new three years ago. He maintained it well and used it regularly until purchasing 2 new pro models. After purchasing the pro models he only used this smaller laser every once in awhile.  The last time he used it the laser stopped firing. I need to get it working again. Is there anyone who might be able to help me troubleshoot it? I could bring it up to AR anytime.

Ann

Ann Boes

Jun 15, 2017, 11:15:58 AM6/15/17
to Arch Reactor
Forgot to mention it's a 45 W Full Spectrum hobby laser.

Travis Megee

Jun 15, 2017, 11:47:49 AM6/15/17
to Arch Reactor
I'm not familiar with the internals of that machine, but here would be my troubleshooting steps
  • Ensure solid power connection
  • Check physical estop switch
  • If flow switch installed, check flow from pump, ensure no kinked hoses
  • If there is a test button on the internal laser power supply:
    • WITH THE POWER DISCONNECTED - disconnect wiring to laser controller but leave 120v power connections
    • Fire the laser with the test button
      • If the laser does not fire
        • WITH THE POWER DISCONNECTED - check the high voltage wiring (thick cable) running into the rear of the laser tube.  Also check the thinner return wiring running from the output end of the laser tube.  If they are loose, reconnect them and retest.
        • Visually inspect the tube and ensure there are no cracks in the inner portion of the tube.  Normally I've seen the tube crack near the output end of the tube.
        • If the above do not resolve the issue, it would indicate the power supply has most likely failed
      • If the laser does fire
        • Check the wiring to the flow sensor, emergency stop, and controller
Travis

Ann Boes

Jun 15, 2017, 1:34:03 PM6/15/17
to Arch Reactor

Thanks very much Travis! I'm picking it up this weekend and will go through this checklist. Ann