Shapeoko

Myles Farrell

Dec 4, 2016, 3:51:52 PM12/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So the space's Shapeoko is skipping and binding in the Y axis. At first I thought it was a loose belt but that wasn't it. None of the wires are loose and one motor seems to be running fine. So, I'm thinking maybe the other stepper is bad, but i figured i would ask for other thoughts.

Andrew Ricke

Dec 4, 2016, 4:02:04 PM12/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
A bad stepper would shock me. It may be the pots voltage for the driver not enough for the dual motors. or the driver chip itself is shot.

I can bring my controller board in Tuesday to compare to.

On Dec 4, 2016 2:51 PM, "Myles Farrell" <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:
So the space's Shapeoko is skipping and binding in the Y axis. At first I thought it was a loose belt but that wasn't it. None of the wires are loose and one motor seems to be running fine. So, I'm thinking maybe the other stepper is bad, but i figured i would ask for other thoughts.

Myles Farrell

Dec 4, 2016, 11:10:30 PM12/4/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Bob helped. The  lower cammed wheels were too tight along with the belts.

Nathan Schrenk

Dec 4, 2016, 11:11:57 PM12/4/16
to Arch Reactor
I once had a problem with one of the stepper motors on my 3D printer that was due to a bad connection inside of the connector that connects the control board to the stepper motor. It would have taken me forever to figure that out myself, but the support staff at the manufacturer was familiar with the issue, so they suggested it as a root cause immediately after I described the symptom to them. They told me "the issue you're having stems from one of our early manufacturing partners using the wrong crimp diameter on those motor pins" and then described a procedure to fix a connection inside the connector that plugged the stepper motor into the control board.

Sure enough, I fixed the connection inside the connector (removed wire and pin from connector, soldered wire onto pin, reinserted it into connector) and my problem was solved. Now I'm not suggesting that the problem with the Shapeoko has the same cause, but just wanted to share my experience that sometimes even if it seems like the connector is tight, the problem can still be a bad connection.

Nathan