Call for upcoming TedX event Arch Reactor participation

John Reskusich

Jul 1, 2014, 5:59:00 PM7/1/14
to Scott Rocca, Ryan Hendrickson, arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There is another opportunity/request for Arch Reactor to demonstrate
3d printing at a TedX event from 5:30-8:30pm on July 16th. Who is
capable and willing to represent Arch Reactor and represent us at this
event coming up? I believe this will be downtown near the library.
They are going to get me more details later.

John Reskusich

Xsfx2000

Jul 1, 2014, 6:11:26 PM7/1/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I can be there, but not really as knowledgeable as others on 3d printing...

John Reskusich

Jul 8, 2014, 12:06:19 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Bump.

Is anybody available for this? If not, I will have to let them know
that we will not be participating. It's a good opportunity to engage
the public and continue our good relationship with TedX.

John Reskusich

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Xsfx2000 <xsfx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can be there, but not really as knowledgeable as others on 3d printing...
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/CAACRprEUpstUFtxmvft6LFqxygbvCdWF5H9txYFPdSNqovHcsQ%40mail.gmail.com.

John Reskusich

Jul 8, 2014, 12:19:57 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So, it has come to my attention that there is confusion as to what
this will be, when it is, and where.

What: Demonstrate 3d printers as a side table in a similar fashion to
previous Ted events and Science Center events. Show the public what a
3d printer looks like and be there to answer questions.

When: 5:30-8:30pm on July 16th

Where: Downtown at the Central Library

Why: Because it fulfills our Educational Outreach mandate. Because
it makes us look good. Because it educates and informs the public
about us and 3d printer technology. Because it facilitates a
continuing presence and makes us ubiquitous from a public
perception("I saw Arch Reactor at <fill in event name> and it was so
cool. They had a 3d printer and they were printing <insert 3d print
instance> I want to go visit and possibly join those guys sometime."

Lloyd has volunteered to help. We need at least one other person who
has 3d printer operational knowledge and either a printer or is
willing to learn to use our taz and bring that and demonstrate.

Or, alternately, a volunteer to teach Lloyd or whoever doesn't know
how to use it to use it for demonstration purposes.

Anybody?

Chris Weiss

Jul 8, 2014, 12:37:04 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have another appointment that evening. if that gets canceled I can help.

we should take more than just the 3D printer, since that's about 1% of
what we're about. Also, does the space have a roll of filament to use
for these events?

Deech

Jul 8, 2014, 12:44:07 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I just got off the phone with Andy from TedX and got  a few more details.

I'll be there doing LN. I asked him to put the AR tables near to each other.

We'll be in a largish classroom at the new library downtown along with a few other presenters.

They will start load in at 3ish and the presenters need to be set up by 5pm, event starts at 5:30 run to 8. There will be a 45 minute break in the middle for dinner.

I'm going to be running LN, so we need someone else to help out with explaining 3d printing. Maybe Lloyd can bring some of his nifty electronics, or some other interesting things.

Someone else wanna come help?

-Deech

Chris Weiss

Jul 8, 2014, 12:54:41 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
got cleared from my appointment, I'll need a refresher on the taz if
someone more experienced with it can't go. I don't have my own
filament though.

Andrew Ricke

Jul 8, 2014, 12:57:25 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I'm stuck out in CT for work. Sorry I missed this in the chaos last week starting this new role.

I can send over the presentation anyone can run that on a loop and use one of the monitors from the lab pc. (Or the big screen if you dare).

As far as the printer goes. I can give a crash course on Sunday on how I've been running it for show and tell purposes. I'll try to load the SD card with more cool and appropriate prints. You just run them and keep little fingers off the table.

Andrew Ricke

Jul 8, 2014, 1:01:49 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The orange is free game for PR purposes.

Deech

Jul 8, 2014, 1:28:17 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Send me the presentation and I'll get it running on the AR table.

If you've already got a few good prints for demos, toss them on the SD card and I'll make sure the printer makes it there.

But, we still need someone to help explain how it works, I won't be able to do both.

Ryan Williams

Jul 8, 2014, 1:49:03 PM7/8/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll already be downtown anyway, so I plan on making it there.

Deech

Jul 12, 2014, 1:05:15 AM7/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Well, news on my front, they called and cancelled my LN demo at the last minute again. This was somewhat frustrating, because that's what they did to me last time. However, upon reflection, this is probably best, due to my work schedule it was going to be a choice of skipping work that I really need to be doing this week or doing my work and stressing and running so I could make it to CK on time, prep and get set up.

So, I'm not doing LN, and realistically I was going to be pressed for time to actually prep to work the event. I wasn't scheduled to work the other table anyway. I still plan to be there, but I'll have my own tickets and will be taking a date and attending as a patron.

Minerva Lopez

Jul 12, 2014, 1:28:05 PM7/12/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll be happy to represent should any of you be willing to put me up to speed on 3D printing.  I know basics.

I have an excellent relationship with the library and I also believe my participation with highlight AR inclusion/diversification.

Advise,

Andrew Ricke

Jul 13, 2014, 10:45:20 AM7/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for late notice, but I think I can get to the space around 5pm before the arduino class to show anyone how to do some things on the printer for the Ted X.  I've got to be there to get a few wedding projects done.

John Reskusich

Jul 13, 2014, 1:48:31 PM7/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I will be there.  Not sure I can make Wednesday yet.  But, might as well learn...

Xsfx2000

Jul 13, 2014, 1:58:45 PM7/13/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Maybe... currently at Chuck E Cheese with son & friend (and parents) so I'll see how worm out I am to make it by tonight. 8)

Chris Weiss

Jul 15, 2014, 6:47:11 PM7/15/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
what's the parking situation? should be meet at AR around 3 and
carpool over at 3:30?

Ryan Williams

Jul 16, 2014, 10:18:28 AM7/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I will not be able to show up tonight. Not feeling well. Sorry guys.

Deech

Jul 16, 2014, 11:44:32 AM7/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

City2.0 FAQ:

Where do we park?

There is a large lot at Olive Street and 15th Street available for free parking for those using Central Library. A parking token is needed to raise the gates when exiting. Tokens are available at the Olive Street and Locust Street Issue Desks within Central Library. Check at either desk when you arrive.

If you are parking at a meter, the meters are monitored from 8am until 7pm Monday through Saturday. The meters accept nickels, dimes and quarters. Quarters are your best choice as they are good for 20 minutes. The meters are good for a maximum of 2 hours at a time.

There are also numerous parking lots in the downtown area with various rates. See the attached PDF for a list.

How do I get my tickets?

There are no physical tickets for this event. Since you registered on Eventbrite, your name is on our digital check-in list.

Where do I check-in?

The check-in table will be inside of the north entrance of the library. Volunteers will greet you at the door and check you in on their smart device. You will then proceed to the swag table to get your bag and nametag.

What is the run of show?

4:30 Optional free tour of the Library starts

5:30 Registration begins

6:00 TEDxGatewayArchCity2.0 Starts

6:00 - 7:00 1st Session

Ola Ayeni

Jasmine Aber

Sandra Moore

Raz Gorman

7:40 - 8:40 2nd Session

Aimun Malik

Madison Wrobley

Prison of Performing Arts

Sleepy Kitty

Dan Parris

Can we tour the Central Library?

Tours are available for TEDx attendees. The tour will originate from the desk in the Great Hall on the 2nd floor of Central Library at 4:30p.m. Reply to this email to reserve your spot.

Why should we take a tour?

After ten years of planning and two-and-a-half years of construction, the $70 million restoration and renewal of the St. Louis Public Library’s historic Central Library reopened to the public on December 9, 2012, on time and under budget. More than 4000 excited visitors explored their Library on the first day alone.

“The blend of old and new is simply masterful”

Since then, Central Library has lived up to its mission of providing St. Louisans with a great 21st century library. And in addition to garnering praise from visitors, Central has earned a host of the world’s most prestigious design awards.

The Library congratulates principal architect George Nikolajevich and his colleagues at Cannon Design; the construction manager, BSI Constructors; and the accomplished team of contractors they assembled. Nearly everyone involved in this enormous project was a St. Louisan: the talent in our community is amazing.

From architects to engineers to hundreds of skilled construction workers, everyone involved in this landmark project deserves recognition for the distinguished awards Central Library has received.

Come experience the grandeur.

Where will we redeem our meal tickets?

There will be four food trucks parked on the north side of the library. Tickets can be redeemed at food trucks including Pi Pizza, Andrew’s Bayou Ribs, and Taco Truck STL. Food tickets are not needed for dessert and beverages including I Scream Cakes, Strange Donuts, Kaldi’s Coffee, and Nawgan Alerness Beverage.

Is there a dress code?

 No. Dress comfortably and express yourself (whatever that means to you).  This crowd knows that clothes don't make the person.

Is there service in the auditorium?

 Not much. Cell phone use will be limited inside of the auditorium. If you need to take a call or return an email, leave the auditorium space. We urge attendees to limit their movement into and out of the theatre during the filming of the event out of courtesy to our speakers.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Ryan Williams <ryan...@gmail.com> wrote:

I will not be able to show up tonight. Not feeling well. Sorry guys.

Chris Weiss

Jul 16, 2014, 12:13:29 PM7/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
is there a faq that applies to me? or should I have signed up on
eventbrght too?

Chris Weiss

Jul 16, 2014, 4:18:39 PM7/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
heading to the library now

Chris Weiss

Jul 16, 2014, 10:19:44 PM7/16/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
event went well, lots of people, taz worked great

shapeoko needs a lot of tweaking.

Ryan Williams

Jul 17, 2014, 3:08:57 PM7/17/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear the Taz worked fine for you.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
event went well, lots of people, taz worked great

shapeoko needs a lot of tweaking.

Xsfx2000

Jul 19, 2014, 11:01:35 AM7/19/14
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Found the lot.

On Jul 16, 2014 4:19 PM, xsfx...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm here, looking for a place to park...

Xsfx2000