Anyone observed 2.4GHz emissions from welder?

Ben West

Apr 13, 2015, 1:30:10 PM4/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
A WasabiNet location across the street from an auto shop has been seeing remarkably bad signal propagation across many channels, w/o any obvious interference from neighbors' APs.

While I was looking at a pair of WasabiNet nodes hardly 25feet apart (albeit separated by some interior masonry walls) be unable to ping each other, I glanced over my shoulder to see the arc from the auto shop's welder.  Along with the noise from their air wrench.  With their open garage bays looking right at me.

Making me think "hmmm."

Would emissions from an old TIG/MIG/stick welder be a good candidate for RF disruption over 50-100ft radius?

Hroller McKnutt

Apr 13, 2015, 2:14:14 PM4/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Arcs is sparks, I sure wouldn't rule it out... spark is a REALLY wideband RF interference source from DC to daylight.

Mike

Nullo edactore ligni, consilium cedet. - Countess Magda

EschewObfuscation

Apr 15, 2015, 5:36:19 PM4/15/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Spark gaps, as mentioned, are very wide band. To determine if your surmise is correct, can you test performance at some time of day the shop is closed?