Raspberry Pi Intro Class May 29

fredspartan104

May 16, 2018, 4:47:08 PM5/16/18
to Arch Reactor
For those of you interested in attending the class on Tuesday May 29, it is a week and a half away.  Raspberry Pi hardware is not going to be supplied, and you are going to need your own Raspberry Pi to work with.  I will have some LEDs and other random electronic parts to use (resistors and buttons).

My Goal for Topics covered in class:
- General Overview of Micro-controllers(Arduinos) vs Microprocessors (Raspberry Pi), this is a simplification of these two topics but will be covered in more depth.
- How to get Rasberry Pi's Raspain OS installed and configured for first use.  Setup SSH, wifi, etc...
- Short tutorial on Python to work with GPIO, setup a LED to turn on and off and depending on time read an input from a button to turn on an LED.

That being said a here are some options off of Amazon to buy, also Microcenter has some kits as well:

Microcenter is having a closeout on this kit, it would work great for this class and is a really good deal on a starter kit for the Raspberry Pi:  http://www.microcenter.com/product/467800/Raspberry_Pi_Kit_for_Dummies

Other options
This is one of the cheapest options, it is a Raspberry Pi Zero, the smallest Pi made.  It has everything to get started, except a breadboard and electronics to test with (I will have a limited amount of electronic supplies available to use).

This is a Raspberry Pi 3+ starter kit, it comes with the latest Pi, it is the size of a credit card. Same as above for the electronic parts.

This is the same as the start kit but with a bread board and some electronics to get you started with experimenting with the Raspberry Pi GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) interface.

If you have any questions message me and I will try and answer your questions!

-Fred

eAddict

May 16, 2018, 6:15:31 PM5/16/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Is there a placer to sign up so you have a head count?

fredspartan104

May 16, 2018, 6:30:44 PM5/16/18
to Arch Reactor
The meetup group is what I have been using, but if people from AR are going to attend and dont join the meetup group then post on here so I can get a head count.

-Fred

Jim S

May 17, 2018, 10:16:12 AM5/17/18
to Arch Reactor
I plan to be there.  I have some experience with Pi and Arduino but almost none with GPIO on the Pi and very little with Python so hoping to learn more about those.  I have a OpenSprinklerPi sprinkler controller add on board for the Pi ( https://opensprinkler.com/product/opensprinkler-pi/ ) and want to add some python scripts to use the a/d on the add on board.

kim stahl

May 21, 2018, 3:59:19 AM5/21/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
HELLO,

I AM PLANNING TO ATTEND, possibly using any available / borrowed stuff at first before purchasing (emailed with Bill Stanard already)
I'm new to learning Arduino and raspberry pi and not sure how / if I would apply it ...

Thank you & see you in class!

Kim Stahl
instagram: kimstahldesign

Message has been deleted

directoro...@archreactor.org

May 25, 2018, 11:47:33 AM5/25/18
to Arch Reactor
I will have a couple extra Pis to use, I only have 3 extra ones that I can loan out. If anyone coming to the class on Tuesday night has some extra, if you could bring your extra Pis, I would greatly appreciate. I have 20 small breadboards, LEDs, and Buttons that I plan on sharing for the class.

-Fred

Tori Jameson

May 25, 2018, 1:03:27 PM5/25/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
If those loaner pis aren’t already claimed, can I use one? Life happened and I forgot to get a kit. D’oh.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:46 AM <directoro...@archreactor.org> wrote:
I will have a couple extra Pis to use, I only have 3 extra ones that I can loan out.  If anyone coming to the class on Tuesday night has some extra, if you could bring your extra Pis, I would greatly appreciate.  I have 20 small breadboards, LEDs, and Buttons that I plan on sharing for the class.

-Fred

Andrew Ricke

May 25, 2018, 2:40:24 PM5/25/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What about screens?  Do we have enough hdmi compatible?

Director of Education

May 25, 2018, 2:47:38 PM5/25/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ooooo, my plan was to use a combo of VNC from peoples laptops, AR's laptops and the screens on hand.  I really dont think we have enough screens or enough cables to go with those screens.

-Fred

On Fri, May 25, 2018, 12:03 PM Tori Jameson <victoria.turenne.jameson@gmail.com> wrote:
If those loaner pis aren’t already claimed, can I use one? Life happened and I forgot to get a kit. D’oh.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/7052a884-6b85-470b-892a-85d80e46ab02%40googlegroups.com.

Jim S

Buz McCullough

May 28, 2018, 5:25:57 PM5/28/18
to Arch Reactor
Fred, I will be bringing 6 Pi Zeros with power supplies and adapter cables and blank 16 GB micro SDHC cards. I assume we need headers on Pi Zeros and am putting them on. If we do not use them, I am returning the power supply cable sets to Micro Center for a refund. So the Pi Zeros and power supply cable sets and micro SDHC cards will be available for sale at cost. $6 for micro SDHC card; $6 for Pi Zero; $11 for Pi Zero W; $20 for power supply and adapter cables. No shipping; sales tax or gas to go to Micro Center.
Buz

Director of Education

May 29, 2018, 10:06:53 AM5/29/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have a wireless router setup, going to use a combo of SSH and GUI.  I was planning on having the laptops on the same network and connect from the laptops.

Fred

Director of Education

May 29, 2018, 10:07:45 AM5/29/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Buzz for your help!  Will see you tonight!

Fred

Message has been deleted

Jim S

May 30, 2018, 9:19:29 PM5/30/18
to Arch Reactor
Fred,

Thanks for holding the class!  Didn't realize using the GPIO was so easy.  Looking forward to the next class to learn a bit more about that with python.

Jim

eAddict

May 31, 2018, 8:23:16 AM5/31/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What he said both times!  Please let us know when the slides are available...

fredspartan104

Jun 1, 2018, 12:50:35 PM6/1/18
to Arch Reactor
I am working on a project page on Arch Reactors website for the classes, hoping to get that completed by the end of next week and I will post the slides on the project page.

eAddict

Jun 1, 2018, 3:26:39 PM6/1/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM fredspartan104 <fredspa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am working on a project page on Arch Reactors website for the classes, hoping to get that completed by the end of next week and I will post the slides on the project page.

fredspartan104

Jun 13, 2018, 11:41:30 AM6/13/18
to Arch Reactor
I have finished the project page, the slides and a brief overview is available on Arch Reactor's website under Projects, Raspberry Pi.

-Fred

Jim S

Jul 22, 2018, 4:03:31 PM7/22/18
to Arch Reactor
How do we open the google doc of the slides?  I wanted to take a look as prep for the class tonight. I went to the link and got a message that it couldn't be viewed and a download button.  Couldn't view the download either.

Director of Education

Jul 22, 2018, 4:29:08 PM7/22/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will take a look at it,  I am planning on being up at arch reactor at 5 to help another body before the class tonight if you have questions or need some help.

Fred

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.

Jim S

Jul 23, 2018, 7:03:13 AM7/23/18
to Arch Reactor
I can see there is a file now but it says I need permission to view it.  I clicked the button for permission and got the message that permission has been requested.

Also, small detail but the link on the project page isn't clickable.

Thanks for doing the class.  Ideas for follow on - how to make it run at boot, power backup, a/d converter...