KC Maker Faire 2015 - Official thread

Chris Weiss

Feb 4, 2015, 9:37:55 AM2/4/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The Faire is June 27-28, all days both days.

For those new in the group, we've had a table or 3 at the KC Maker
Faire every year since 2011, and it's a blast, but also a lot of work.
The faire is part science fair, part craft show, and is held in KC's
Union Station grand hall and front parking lot, and and it's so big
they even close the street in front. Admission also gets you entry to
their Science Center.

If it's the same deal as past years we get 5 free tickets per group,
including food and drink tickets to a Maker party on Friday night. We
meet at our space Friday before noon to load up and head out. We
arrive by 5 or 6, setup, and go to the party. there are extra
security guards at the station, including checkpoints into the grand
hall, all weekend so large items are OK to leave at your table. We've
also had people take the Amtrack, which goes direct to Union Station,
and MegaBus. On Sunday we do leave a bit early so we don't get back
home too very late.

We need to decide soon if we're going, how many tables we'll need, and
how we're going to register (one group or multiple groups). If I
understood correctly, Di is registering on her own for her paracord
weaving rig since that needs a whole table, and Doug and Scott will
have their own table for their printers.

I've started a signup sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cipgoU0VDugI2yoQmflBgi8Jo1Q4WvipPh7Qa7N6fB0/edit?usp=sharing
put your name down if you want to go and can help manage tables.
priority for free tickets will be given to those that can help all 3
days.

Keith Woeltje

Feb 8, 2015, 5:05:14 PM2/8/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about going to do the "Robot Drivers License". I'm working to rebuild my robot (with more reliable RC), and hope to have several there for kids to try. I may register separately again to get additional space, but would be glad to include others for additional passes.
/K

Travis Megee

Mar 3, 2015, 9:36:03 PM3/3/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
bump!

Travis

Keith Woeltje

Mar 3, 2015, 9:38:40 PM3/3/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My "Robot Driver License" boot got accepted again, so I can get some additional tickets for whoever wants to go.
/K

George Fetters

Mar 4, 2015, 7:14:55 PM3/4/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I would like to go.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/CAOSwvAQdQo9S0vcj4hyzxjquNJJy83Y--a3QqG1i0oFEhHqn4Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Weiss

Mar 10, 2015, 9:08:35 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
application submitted. I've asked for 2 tables and included
justification, we'll see if we get it. I put down Joe, Travis, bob S
and Tom B for the tickets, you will receive an email with a link for a
form you have to fill out.

for others going, I believe Keith and Di may have extra from their
tables, if you ask them nicely :)

Keith Woeltje

Mar 10, 2015, 9:26:36 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'll have extra - don't know for sure how many.
/K

George Fetters

Mar 10, 2015, 10:21:36 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Keith, I could use a ticket if you can spare one.

Keith Woeltje

Mar 19, 2015, 8:49:15 PM3/19/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Chris Weiss

Mar 23, 2015, 2:58:16 PM3/23/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
application accepted. Joe, Travis, bob S and Tom B check your email
for the maker agreement form.

no confirmation on how many tables.

has anyone reserved hotels yet?

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 24, 2015, 3:57:21 PM3/24/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I will be able to go now. I'm going to turn that into a vacation time. Take off Friday and come back on the 6th.

I have a two seater hatchback, but room enough in the back to fit a 55gallon poly barrel in it. If you need a to bring things down I can give a hand or if someone wants to just travel down with me.

Tom Blevins

Apr 5, 2015, 7:50:46 PM4/5/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have not yet received any email from maker. Should I be looking for a different sender? or is this just a waiting game?
-Tom B

Chris Weiss

Apr 9, 2015, 12:16:15 PM4/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
has anyone reserved a hotel yet and want to room share?

Diane

Apr 9, 2015, 12:38:12 PM4/9/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have a reservation at the Hampton In. Country Club which I stayed at last year but already have a couple of folks sharing with me. They were nice folks, comfy rooms, decent parking, not too far from Union Station, and serve a nice breakfast.

Hotel address is::
4600 Summit, Kansas City, MO 64112

di <*>

On Apr 9, 2015, at 11:15 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> has anyone reserved a hotel yet and want to room share?

Chris Weiss

Apr 22, 2015, 11:32:24 AM4/22/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I reserved a 2 queen bed room at the Marriott just south on Main.
includes "hot breakfast". I'm willing to share, snoring is possible
and also tolerated :)

I can also cancel up to the day before, so if a better offer arises,
it's an option.

Ice

May 13, 2015, 4:59:06 PM5/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Griffin 3D is now officially signed up. We will be there if you need to borrow a printer.

Chris Weiss

May 13, 2015, 5:08:37 PM5/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
woo! 6 weeks!

Robert Kleeschulte

May 13, 2015, 5:22:25 PM5/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I have been thinking of getting a hotel unless someone may have space in a booked room available or someone needs a place also.

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
woo!  6 weeks!

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Chris Weiss

May 13, 2015, 5:24:00 PM5/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
in another thread (or split of this one) I said I'm willing to share,
no one's taken up the offer yet

Robert K

May 13, 2015, 9:04:14 PM5/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I can join you.

I'm trying to find the post you did.

Sent from my iPad

> On May 13, 2015, at 16:23, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> in another thread (or split of this one) I said I'm willing to share,
> no one's taken up the offer yet

Keith Woeltje

May 23, 2015, 4:04:50 PM5/23/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
My dad is coming (he's never been to a Maker Faire), so I can add 3 more volunteers. I just need your name/email address so I can send that in (and so I can send you the volunteer form).

George F. - you had expressed interest a while back - still planning on coming?

Thanks,
/K

Bob S.

May 30, 2015, 7:02:09 PM5/30/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
  I have still not received anything in my email to my knowledge.  Is there someone I can reach out to?
Want to make sure I am good to go before I get good and ready and go :)

Thanks!
-Bob

Bob S.

May 30, 2015, 7:06:08 PM5/30/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Please disregard... it appears I have found it in my "promotions" folder.

Thanks!
-Bob

fredspartan104

Jun 2, 2015, 12:27:05 PM6/2/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have room left in their hotel rooms for one more?  My work schedule changed and would like to go.

-Fred

Chris Weiss

Jun 6, 2015, 11:35:48 AM6/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
just got an email about a group rate at the holiday inn downtown. the
rate's a little better than the fairfield, but it's a little further
away, and doens't include breakfast. it is a good discount on their
normal rate though.

There is a special group rate for those attending the Faire.

A block of rooms has been reserved at
The Aladdin Holiday Inn Hotel
To secure the group rate of $125/night,please
make your reservations by 1PM, June 6, 2015
Reservations Number: 877-224-2870
Direct Booking Link: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/af4e0fdd
Website: http://www.hialaddin.com/
Address: 1215 Wyandotte Street, Kansas City, MO. 64105
Please identify that you are booking for “Maker Faire”

Chris Weiss

Jun 6, 2015, 11:38:09 AM6/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
what the... I just noticed you have to reserve by 1PM TODAY... i
checked the email sent headers and they sent it "Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015
11:16:04 -0400". thanks for the notice Maker Faire KC!

Gavin Perry

Jun 7, 2015, 12:50:43 PM6/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I would like a ride to/from the Maker Faire from StL. I can stay with my son so don't need accommodations. Sorry there isn't room this time to invite others to stay there.
When are people leaving and returning?
Gavin

Chris Weiss

Jun 7, 2015, 3:42:16 PM6/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
in past years we've met at AR before noon on friday and head out just
after noon, the closer to noon the better. it has worked well, I'd
like to do that again.

Tom Blevins

Jun 7, 2015, 8:53:03 PM6/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
When is the return load out?

Chris Weiss

Jun 7, 2015, 11:12:11 PM6/7/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
on sunday? whenever we get back. it varies

Tom Blevins

Jun 10, 2015, 9:18:32 PM6/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I mean when do we load up at the faire before heading home? Does everything end promptly at 5 or is there a waiting period like waiting until all guests leave.

Robert Satchell

Jun 10, 2015, 9:29:48 PM6/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I know its listed in the packet.... I am thinking that we ate required to have our table set up until at least 6, but it could be 5.... I will have to look... but, they don't want anyone breaking down early... have to wait until its officially over.

Kamikaze Joe

Jun 10, 2015, 10:27:01 PM6/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
In the past we've always broken down early.  Usually like around 4:00.  Things start dying down by 3 or so on Sunday and everyone is usually exhausted.  So if it's a requirement we don't break down until 5:00, that'll be new.  That's going to upset a lot of booths that often bring more stuff than we do.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

Chris Weiss

Jun 11, 2015, 9:28:26 AM6/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
it's always been a "requirement" but booths start breaking down early
anyway. we kind of play it by ear based on the crowd

Tom Blevins

Jun 11, 2015, 11:29:43 AM6/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there until the end but I plan to stay in KC on Sunday Night and come back on Monday afternoon.

Nate Rogers

Jun 16, 2015, 6:57:59 PM6/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,
Keith Rogers, and I, Nate Rogers, will be attending the makerfaire. We have a booth to demonstrate and sell Keiths' Taig Lathes, Mills and Injection Molder, and Ill be selling 10-12 Fusion Printers, that I designed.
I also wanted to thank Doug for the help at Arch Reactor, as the Printer i was building has changed significantly since speaking with him!
See everyone soon!
Nate

Nate Rogers

Jun 16, 2015, 7:13:44 PM6/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

IMG_0947.JPG

EschewObfuscation

Jun 16, 2015, 9:17:33 PM6/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Um, what is a 10-12 fusion printer?

Nate Rogers

Jun 17, 2015, 12:26:18 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Um, what is a 10-12 fusion printer?

Hi,
Im glad you asked. Fusion is the name of a 3D printer business I am starting. I am leaning toward calling the printer the Fusion Reactor.
Ive got almost all the parts to make about twelve, 3d Printers. I plan to sell them at the maker fair as a kit, which I will be assembling each, as they sell. I should be able to assemble them in under 1 hour. If someone simply wants the kit, to assemble themselves, I will have at least 10 available for sale. I might also do a raffle for one of them!!!
I am leaning toward a price of $300 per kit at the makerfaire, but prices will drop much further if i can get some orders placed, or a kickstarter going, depending on how well the printers sell...

Ill have software links on my website, www.fusionprinters.com, to get people going, along with diagram and written assembly instructions and possibly a video, in the next 10 days. Ill also be posting specs on the printer in the next 2 days, with several videos of the components.

 The Printer is aimed at being high quality, made from solid opensource components, and yet very affordable. Im going to attempt to get the base model at $200 plus shipping, with a 200x200x200 mm build area and bearing spool holder.
 Upgrades of a heated bed, LCD and proximity sensor might be available. Heated bed for sure down the road.

EschewObfuscation

Jun 17, 2015, 2:16:39 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 11:26:18 PM UTC-5, Nate Rogers wrote:

Um, what is a 10-12 fusion printer?

Hi,
Im glad you asked...

Why do I feel as if I stepped into that one? <lol>

Okay, looks interesting. The blue pieces are printed parts? ABS?

Nate Rogers

Jun 17, 2015, 2:22:44 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Currently PLA,
The design is intended to be Laser Cut into 4mm Acrylic, with very few printed parts, which i plan on ABS.
:)

Nate Rogers

Jun 17, 2015, 2:24:22 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I should say, the Design is built mostly from PLATES, that can be laser cut... Intended to increase the production speed of the printer

EschewObfuscation

Jun 17, 2015, 3:25:50 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ah, okay, thanks!

Chris Weiss

Jun 17, 2015, 9:04:30 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I don't see on the site a picture of the full printer, just cropped ones.

Keith Woeltje

Jun 17, 2015, 9:24:48 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I want to make a banner for my booth. Does someone have a graphic file (ideally svg so it scales) of the new logo (the one on the shirts?
Thanks,
/K

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't see on the site a picture of the full printer, just cropped ones.

Chris Weiss

Jun 17, 2015, 9:26:41 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
there's a "branding" zip file on the website with all sorts of formats in it

Keith Woeltje

Jun 17, 2015, 9:28:55 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Saw that - didn't know if it had the new one. My work computer can't open SVG
/K

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
there's a "branding" zip file on the website with all sorts of formats in it

Travis Megee

Jun 17, 2015, 9:35:29 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I updated the file with more formats (ai,pdf,svg,png)

Travis

Keith Woeltje

Jun 17, 2015, 11:21:15 AM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

EschewObfuscation

Jun 17, 2015, 4:38:45 PM6/17/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like the design; if you can maintain adequate parallelism with the bed, and the head is light enough, the cantilever simplifies the superstructure nicely.

Nate Rogers

Jun 18, 2015, 6:39:46 PM6/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 3:38:45 PM UTC-5, EschewObfuscation wrote:
I like the design; if you can maintain adequate parallelism with the bed, and the head is light enough, the cantilever simplifies the superstructure nicely.

Thanks, I was fine tuning the extruder lever, and im getting 70mm/s with .8mm nozzle, very clean prints.

Here it is!

It will have an acme 3/8-16 lead screw.

The Bowden tube has some resistance, but with the MK8 drive gear, it should run faster, than with the MK7.

Im getting really clean prints at 40 mm/s. With the .8mm nozzle, I can get 60mm/s, less back pressure.

Open Builds v slot rails and delrin wheels. Ramps 1.4, Nema 17 4000g.cm, GT2 Belt and Pulleys.

The cantilever design is very Rigid. Strong enough i might go with Direct drive, carriage mount.

Really its just a Simple, solid printer, with the fewest parts i could design. I was hoping to sell them to schools in bulk for a further reduced price. The least expensive, solid built printer on the market.

Also, It breaks down in under 1 minute, to transport in a briefcase.

Tom Blevins