Laser Cutter info

matthew....@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2018, 2:41:03 PM7/23/18
to Arch Reactor
Hello again!

My name is Matthew Wind, and I've come in before to introduce myself and get some information about making some parts (for an instrument my lab uses) using the laser cutter. I was told to get CAD drawings set up, as a model for the cutter. I was also told to check the calendar and come in the night of the cutter class. I thought it was going to be this Thursday, the 26th, but I guess it was canceled. as the next class on the calendar is Sep. 27th. I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase the materials I need ahead of time so I could take the class and hopefully immediately create the parts I need. I have a few questions prior to that time.

1- I'm looking for a sheet of ~3mm plastic that I can cut the part I need out of. how big of a sheet can the cutter handle (Length x width) Ideally I could cut out several parts from the same sheet.
2- I'd initially asked for a material that could stand 80C temps, but that was padding on my part. I NEED it to stand 38C temps, so suggestions for the plastic that would work with this temp are greatly appreciated.
3- now that you've given me a material.... where the heck do I/ can I get it? home depot? Lows? Ace? alternatives? if I need to order, I guess I have time now.
4- I assume I need to become a member for at least the month I need to come in? what other obligations do I need to fill to get me in there to get this done?

thanks all for your time and help!
Matt Wind

Di

Jul 23, 2018, 3:54:26 PM7/23/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

No need to wait for the class to use the Laser, there are lots of us around Arch Reactor who can help you.     A lot of your preliminary questions can be answered by reading through our Laser Guide::  https://archreactor.org/project/laser-cutter-guide

We have two lasers.  One has a bed size of 250mm x 500mm, the other is 3 feet by 4 feet.

The most important note in choosing plastics for cutting is that the material cannot have any chlorine.    My favorite plastic to use is cast acrylic but I don't know if that will meet the rest of your specifications.    Locally you might be able to get what you need from JBC Plastics on Gravois near Jefferson:  http://www.jbcplastic.com/  It's a small shop so call and expect to leave a message.    Depending on what I need I also like to order from https://www.estreetplastics.com/    Cast Acrylic works best in the laser (as opposed to extruded) though I'm not sure what other specification you need the plastic to meet.

You are correct in that we ask people to be members to use the equipment.   Supporting Membership is $15/month.   If you find out that you love who we are and what we do, after a few months of being a supporting member and us all getting to know each other, full membership is only $45/month.   We do ask that people commit to a year as a full member, and put in volunteer time for the space as we have no paid staff, but the benefits are wonderful!   Simply having access to the creative minds of our members is probably the biggest benefit.

We are typically around every Tuesday and Sunday evening with other events on the calendar and other full members there working on projects throughout the week.   If you've seen our website you've probably noticed the "Open/Closed" switch about halfway down the right side.    Stop by any time we are open, introduce yourself, get a tour, and ask if anyone can help you out with the laser.   It's likely that someone will be able to help you out with the basics.

Do check out the Laser Guide.   It contains at least 50%, if not more, of what is typically covered in the class and is a great way to get started.

I'm not going to be there tomorrow until late, but please stop by if you can as LOTS of folks will be around...

Diane  <*>

Diane  <*>

Andrew Ricke

Jul 23, 2018, 4:59:01 PM7/23/18
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Ive used this to check specs on different plastics. https://www.professionalplastics.com/PlasticMaterialsbyProperties

Looks like acrylic meets your temp range, but may need to test to verify thermal expansion doesn't impact your use.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/396288d4-228e-444b-b3f0-005e49cf949a%40googlegroups.com.

Diane  <*>