Art Riverboat Travelling Through STL in Need of a Makerspace

Peter Webb

Aug 3, 2017, 5:02:38 PM8/3/17
to Arch Reactor
Hello, I recently was contacted by this group: http://www.piercecountyherald.com/life/4296360-voyage-michi-zeebee

Would the Arch Reactor be willing to allow them access while they're in town? If so shoot me an E-mail at webb.p...@gmail.com and I will make the connection!

Here was their message:

We will be arriving in St. Louis in about three weeks, and we'll be around for about a week, maybe a little longer (10 days max). If we could get access to the shop, we'd be willing to put in some training days... If not, here are a few project ideas we've been kicking around for St. Louis:

One idea (our preferred project) is to make some 3D printed pieces based on objects we've collected on this trip. We'd like to scan those, collage them, and output them in forms influenced by Native American bone carvings. These would be inset on the interior of the boat. We were hoping to do it as part of a workshop or collaborative making experience (people bring in objects related to the river, we scan them, work with the scan, and output them as a single piece). I only know super basic scanning/outputting software, though, so this would obviously involve some technical support.

Another idea is to build wood or metal screens (about 2' x 2') for the base of boxes that will hang from the interior ceiling. These boxes would serve as storage as well as illustrate our journey thus far. This could either be accomplished through more traditional means with wood (bandsaw, scroll saw, etc) or digital means (CNC for wood/plasma for metal..).

A third idea (we have lots of projects for the boat!) is to build a water wheel that powers analog animations. This would just require access to a woodshop/metalshop and some scrap material.

Definitely, let us know if you can help set us up for any of this! We super appreciate any assistance!

Chris Weiss

Aug 3, 2017, 5:13:40 PM8/3/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
when?  or does that need to be flexible?

Peter Webb

Aug 3, 2017, 5:20:40 PM8/3/17
to Arch Reactor
In three weeks?

If you're asking specific timing I'm not sure, I think they're just trying to feel out what the opportunity would be, I imagine they'll be flexible.

Chris Weiss

Aug 3, 2017, 5:23:57 PM8/3/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure if the times work someone would help them out, but that's kinda hit or miss right now unless it's Tuesday nights or Sunday nights.

also we don't have a 3D scanner.  supposedly you can do it with a cell phone app but I've not seen actual results from one.

William Andersen

Aug 3, 2017, 8:15:22 PM8/3/17
to Arch Reactor
My wife has tried making 3d scans from photos, and you can do it, but we haven't gotten very good results with it yet. Supposedly you need a lot of photos to make it work well.

Myles Farrell

Aug 4, 2017, 11:08:29 AM8/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'd be willing to help out for the chance to meet fellow mainers. I wouldn't be able to do much during the day but could be down at the space a couple nights a week. 207-233-4380

Frank Kallal

Aug 4, 2017, 11:15:53 AM8/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
depending on when exactly it happens i would likely be able to be there to open the space up.  however I'm out of town for 6 days mid month.

Peter Webb

Aug 4, 2017, 11:24:13 AM8/4/17
to Arch Reactor
Thank you very much for the replies everyone!

I will pass all of this along to them and get back with more details soon. I'm sure I'll be in touch!

Peter.

Nathan Schrenk

Aug 4, 2017, 9:41:22 PM8/4/17
to Arch Reactor
Depending on the dates they are here, I might be able to keep the space open for them during the day for one or two days.

Nathan

Kevin

Morgan Miransky

Aug 5, 2017, 9:54:09 AM8/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in helping, depending on dates and availability. This sounds like our kind of thing.

Peter Webb

Aug 21, 2017, 10:14:21 PM8/21/17
to Arch Reactor
Hello, sorry for the delay everyone, it took Emily awhile to get back to me but this is here message:

I Peter. I'm sorry -- I'm having trouble accessing the group from my phone, and I don't have computer access. I apologize and understand if people have other commitments now. We'll be in town on the 25th through the 30th. If someone would like to help, they can call/email/text (646.620.4568) -- I'm open. Thank you so much, and once again I'm really, really sorry about the tardy response.
Thanks again!

Myles, I have given them your #, if any of the rest of you are willing/interested either post your number here and I will pass it along, or I will be updating this as I continue to learn more.

Thanks,
Peter.

William Andersen

Aug 22, 2017, 7:02:18 PM8/22/17
to Arch Reactor
Peter,

I am free to "chaperone" the Art Riverboat crew in our Makerspace from noon until 8:00 pm on Saturday the 26th. I can give them a tour to introduce them to the space and be available to answer any questions. I plan to run some prints on the 3D printer while I am there so they should get a chance to see how that works, too.

-Will

William Andersen

Aug 22, 2017, 7:04:06 PM8/22/17
to Arch Reactor
I'd be happy to leave them my contact info too, in case they have questions in the meantime, but I'd want to provide that by email or some other method (not willing to post it on the forums).

William Andersen

Aug 22, 2017, 7:05:07 PM8/22/17
to Arch Reactor
I brilliantly just noticed the part where Emily invites us to contact her and will do so myself now.

Frank Kallal

Aug 23, 2017, 12:55:16 AM8/23/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I was tossing around Hosting a BoardGame day on Sunday the 28th anyway.. So i'll just make that Official and Open the space up at Noon and Keeping it open until 10pm.

Frank

Frank Kallal

Aug 23, 2017, 4:35:40 PM8/23/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Do we need to tell folks we'll be there specifically? or is someone handling them and letting them know?  Also I'm assuming them using the Shop is Ok with the Shop Master?  I didn't think to ask

William Andersen

Aug 24, 2017, 9:43:49 AM8/24/17
to Arch Reactor
I contacted Emily directly, and I could let her know about your Game Night, but as for the question about the Shop Master, I would also like confirmation as to what is the situation with that.

dennis

Aug 25, 2017, 1:34:27 AM8/25/17
to Arch Reactor
What is this analog animation? Sounds cool

Myles Farrell

Aug 25, 2017, 10:37:00 AM8/25/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The way I have the Shop Use loophole for this running in my head is that we are all about to make new friends. Therefore it is the same as if a full member brought a friend from down the street to help them finish a project that they don't have the equipment to do at home. By that token though, the full member should be in the shop assisting them and supervising and is also responsible for the safety of their friends and any damage they do to the equipment.

Another possibility would be to have them each pay $15 bucks and become supporting members for one month, then they can use the shop whenever a full member opens the space. And the full members are just making an extra effort to open the space a lot this particular week.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:34 AM, dennis <denn...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is this analog animation?  Sounds cool

William Andersen

Aug 25, 2017, 2:54:00 PM8/25/17
to Arch Reactor
Myles,

First, are you the shopmaster, or is that someone else? I can't recall.

Second, between the two options you named, I want to speak up in favor of the former. Usually, I would actually prefer the latter, as I believe that exceptions to our policies should be avoided whenever possible. They are there for a reason. That being said, this is a situation where we already invited the group into our space and did not set an expectation of payment at the time that we did so. It would be awkward and perhaps impolite, I feel, to go back on that now.

That said, I think at the next Members Meeting we may wish to bring this up as a case study for whether we should add a policy to accommodate this sort of a situation.

Lastly, based on the knowledge I gained earlier from this thread, I already agreed to let the group in for a tour (and to use the space for projects) tomorrow. There was some ambiguity in our text conversation, which I could use to leave it at just a tour and a demo of some items like the 3D printers. Personally, I need to hear from the Shop Master before tomorrow on how to handle this, otherwise I will not be letting our visitors use any of the tools themselves.

If anyone knows a way to get in touch with the Shop Master, or else is the Shop Master, then I need to be in touch right away... thanks.

-Will

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 9:37:00 AM UTC-5, Myles Farrell wrote:
The way I have the Shop Use loophole for this running in my head is that we are all about to make new friends. Therefore it is the same as if a full member brought a friend from down the street to help them finish a project that they don't have the equipment to do at home. By that token though, the full member should be in the shop assisting them and supervising and is also responsible for the safety of their friends and any damage they do to the equipment.

Another possibility would be to have them each pay $15 bucks and become supporting members for one month, then they can use the shop whenever a full member opens the space. And the full members are just making an extra effort to open the space a lot this particular week.
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:34 AM, dennis <denn...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is this analog animation?  Sounds cool

Myles Farrell

Aug 25, 2017, 3:02:28 PM8/25/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Will,
Sam is the shopmaster, but doesn't read the boards. Technically the Shopmaster is a subordinate of the Sergeant at Arms so I feel comfortable speaking for him. As for the rest of it I complete agree with the rest of your sentiments. So lets just go with the former option of the helping friends and let them use the shop with a member actually assisting them. I also plan on being down there a significant chunk of the day tomorrow as well.

William Andersen

Aug 25, 2017, 3:27:31 PM8/25/17
to Arch Reactor
Sounds like a plan.

Frank Kallal

Aug 25, 2017, 3:39:52 PM8/25/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
With Myles Response above, I have messaged Emily Directly and Let her know the space would be avaiable from noon to 10pm on Sunday.

Frank