ARRL Field day-Amateur radio-Saturday

Amberly Brown

Jun 21, 2017, 10:57:56 AM6/21/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Curious about Amateur radio? Want to know more about being a "HAM"? Wonder what it takes to use the transmitters on the weather balloons?

Visit Saint Louis and Suburban Radio Club at the 2017 Field Day at Queeny Park on Saturday and Sunday to find out!

http://www.slsrc.org/2017/05/28/field-day-2017/

Inline image 1

Field day is a 24 hour radio contest that simulates operation under emergency conditions (generator power for radios). Contacts are made through the United States with other clubs that are participating. Visits have the opportunity to see multiple radios in operation, make contacts, explore software logging options, and chat with current FCC licensed operators.

HAM radio communications are used for fun (google: DXpedition), emergency contacts (Red Cross, Hospitals, Storm spotting), Race support (MS 150, Boston Marathon), tracking weather balloons and much more.

Mike Martin and I will be there for a large part of the weekend. SLSRC typically has 3 radios set up, 2 on voice and one for Morse code. Its an interesting hobby and the people are happy to explain what we are doing! Please come see us.

YIS,

Amberly
KD0TOP

P.S. There is a playground nearby for the kids, if you can't get them interested in radios and robots!