Stepcraft 2: Universal Desktop CNC / 3D Printer / Laser

Frank Kallal

Apr 6, 2015, 3:54:08 AM4/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Ryan Williams

Apr 6, 2015, 6:28:30 AM4/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
That looks pretty interesting.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 2:54 AM, Frank Kallal <fr...@kallal.net> wrote:

EschewObfuscation

Apr 6, 2015, 8:27:52 AM4/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
It certainly looks pretty. And it has orange in it!

OTOH, the full package runs $3500, and "you can mill balsa wood" says something about the stiffness. I don't think I'll be putting it on my xmas list. It certainly would be nice to see in person, should someone in the area acquire one, though.

Ryan Williams

Apr 6, 2015, 10:06:40 AM4/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if the balsa wood comment is more about the dremel it uses rather than the frame itself.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 7:27 AM, EschewObfuscation <google...@mailfilter.33mail.com> wrote:
It certainly looks pretty. And it has orange in it!

OTOH, the full package runs $3500, and "you can mill balsa wood" says something about the stiffness. I don't think I'll be putting it on my xmas list. It certainly would be nice to see in person, should someone in the area acquire one, though.

EschewObfuscation

Apr 6, 2015, 10:25:57 AM4/6/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 9:06:40 AM UTC-5, |RyanW| wrote:
I wonder if the balsa wood comment is more about the dremel it uses rather than the frame itself.

Maybe. But for a $3500 package, if a dremel is the limiting factor, a motor, collet and stronger bearing assembly wouldn't be hard. I'd want to see it in action, under stress test.

But it *is* pretty!