Shapeoko notes

Jim S

May 31, 2017, 7:46:20 AM5/31/17
to Arch Reactor
I measured the temp of the stepper driver ICs at 120-130C after about 2 minutes of operation. Adding a fan to blow across the PC board I got a max of 60C which is much more reasonable.  Just put the fan there temporarily as a test so adding a bracket and fan would be a good thing to do.

In homing it, at one point one of the axis jammed and stopped before reaching the end of travel.  Nothing was obvious in the rollers but backing it up and blowing out around the belts and guide wheels restored operation so apparently there was a chip wedged somewhere.  If you are using it the tracks need to be kept very clean.

Making holes with easel (drilling) requires that the hole diameter be slightly bigger than the cutting bit.  0.005 was not enough but 0.010 additional worked for a 1/8" end mill.  Otherwise you will get a "there's nothing to cut" message.  Then select "inside profile".  Easel apparently doesn't have a drill operation so has to cut the hole as a profile.

Jim S

May 31, 2017, 9:07:12 AM5/31/17
to Arch Reactor
The wording of the profile selection is "carve inner path".  I didn't have my notes handy when I put inside profile.

Jim S

May 31, 2017, 1:36:59 PM5/31/17
to Arch Reactor
Here's a view of what looks like simple to make shields for the side belts and guides.  Have also seen them made from plexiglass and I think there were sheet metal ones available as an upgrade at one time.

https://nateduxbury.wordpress.com/?s=shapeoko

An easy way to keep chips out of the guide rails

The site also has something on using a toothbrush for cleaning the wheels and tracks.

Chris Weiss

May 31, 2017, 3:28:05 PM5/31/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I like the extra extrusion to use for clamping too