Weather Balloon Launch Sat. 3/14 please RSVP

Derek Sigler

Mar 10, 2015, 5:01:18 PM3/10/15
to ArchReactor
Weather looks good.  Predictors have flight distance under 50 miles.   Everyone is healthy.  We are good for balloon launch this Saturday 3/14.  PLEASE RSVP back to me with a headcount if you are planning on attending.  I want to give our lunch place a heads up.  All information below is from the last email and still applies.
Thanks,
-derek

Good news! Testing has been successful. Dustin and I feel comfortable setting the launch date for ******, ******!  Drop me a line if there are any questions.

Below you will find a brief itinerary and a few links.
We will be launching two balloons. With a launch cost of ~$400 we are asking everyone participating to consider making a $10 donation to the designated person at the launch.

A few notes:
It's pretty much an all day (10-6) commitment that involves logistics of traveling and carpooling. If you can't make the whole time we encourage you to wait for a launch when you can. There will be more.

There will be two points to meetup with us and figure out carpools: Arch Reactor or Damiansville, IL. Carpool! Carpool! Carpool! You may even make a new friend.

Bring $5-$10 more in you pocket for contributing to your driver's gas.

Itinerary:
9:30 meetup at Arch Reactor, load up, confirm checklists
10:00 Leave Arch Reactor
10:30 Arrive in Damiansville. If you live in IL, you may want to meetup with us here:
12:00 Targeted launch time
After balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.

From 1:30 to 6ish, depending upon success:
Head out to find balloons in as few cars as possible.
Return to Arch Reactor to review video and photos.

Links:
The pop at 104k feet from our most successful flight:

About 7 days out you can start checking weather balloon predictors like this:
with these parameters: 38.505450, -89.622043 100 launch altitude, 18:00 UTC Feb.15th, 25,000 m burst altitude. 5 m for up and down.

Dustin has blogged about the project:

AR4 (Derek) Balloon Tracker:

HAB-0 (Dustin) Balloon Tracker:

AR4_Predicted_flight_as_0310.JPG

Tom Blevins

Mar 10, 2015, 9:04:17 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
I am coming.
-Tom

George Fetters

Mar 10, 2015, 10:25:38 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there!

Xsfx2000

Mar 10, 2015, 10:32:24 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I'm in. Got a small car though.

Morganism

Mar 10, 2015, 10:46:04 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
I am planning on coming. I will volunteer to drive, but have a small car.

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 4:01:18 PM UTC-5, Derek wrote:
> 12:00 Targeted launch timeAfter balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.

colleenf...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2015, 12:05:48 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 4:01:18 PM UTC-5, Derek wrote:
> 12:00 Targeted launch timeAfter balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.
>

> From 1:30 to 6ish, depending upon success:Head out to find balloons in as few cars as possible.
> Return to Arch Reactor to review video and photos.
>

> Links:
> The pop at 104k feet from our most successful flight:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chankster/8195638262/
>

> About 7 days out you can start checking weather balloon predictors like this:
> http://predict.habhub.org
>
> with these parameters: 38.505450, -89.622043 100 launch altitude,
> 18:00 UTC Feb.15th, 25,000 m burst altitude. 5 m for up and down.
>

> Dustin has blogged about the project:
> http://mayfieldjones.com/?page_id=718
>

> AR4 (Derek) Balloon Tracker:
> http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=12&call=a%2FKD0PFM-11&timerange=3600&tail=3600
>

> HAB-0 (Dustin) Balloon Tracker:
> http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=12&call=a%2FKE0BVB-11&timerange=3600&tail=3600

I'll be there!

nfolken

Mar 11, 2015, 11:08:02 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Count me in. I'll meet at AR for carpooling

Kamikaze Joe

Mar 11, 2015, 11:22:54 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to go as well.

---

Preserve your right to privacy.  When replying to this email, I encourage you to make use of PGP compliant encryption.  My key ID is A50DB9BC.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 10:08 AM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:
Count me in. I'll meet at AR for carpooling

nfolken

Mar 12, 2015, 1:49:01 PM3/12/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Bah, work came up. Count me out. Looking forward to some awesome videos

Tom Blevins

Mar 13, 2015, 7:12:23 AM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
I am coming and now my son Elijah is also coming.
> 12:00 Targeted launch timeAfter balloons are out of sight we head to Nashville,IL and eat lunch til the balloon(s) burst.

Derek Sigler

Mar 13, 2015, 8:38:48 AM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Cool.  How old is he? He may be able to fit in my 3rd row with Harlan.

Mar 13, 2015, 6:09:31 PM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Still in, the thread split...

George Fetters

Mar 13, 2015, 7:31:21 PM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
What time are we meeting at arch reactor.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arch-reactor/CAACRprEnUqwT-H%2By7PN7YMBJi8koHAHOCoL_uCwGO3MfjfZ4FA%40mail.gmail.com.

nfolken

Mar 13, 2015, 9:29:37 PM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Actually, I think I'll make the launch, but I'll have to head out right after.

Frank Kallal

Mar 13, 2015, 9:48:45 PM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, Derek Sigler
I don't recall seeing why the Move all the way out to Damiansville.  Seems a a decence distance out?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM, nfolken <niels...@gmail.com> wrote:
Actually, I think I'll make the launch, but I'll have to head out right after.

Travis Megee

Mar 13, 2015, 9:50:42 PM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We've always launched there to be far enough away from the airport

Travis

derek...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2015, 11:47:49 PM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

9:30 am

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Mar 14, 2015, 10:26:26 AM3/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

On my way up, about 5 min out

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.

Robert Kleeschulte

Mar 14, 2015, 12:27:53 PM3/14/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Good Luck with the balloons. Lot more fun that what I'm doing today.

2 floor guard duty at a bar for the St. Patricks day parade. A windowless room and I watch the stairs... Still get a few bucks, food and beer.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

EschewObfuscation

Mar 15, 2015, 6:59:35 PM3/15/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
So, how did it go?

Morganism

Mar 16, 2015, 12:12:19 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Thank you Derek and Dustin,

I had a great time! Was very cool. The highest I saw on the APRS was 109,113 feet. Can wait to see the video.

Derek Sigler

Mar 16, 2015, 12:46:43 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
We all had a great time.  HAB01 made it over 109k feet!  Attached is a peak photo and the APRS path.  Dustin is still stiching all the video.  His burst clip is great!  The other balloon had a transmitter failure about 3 minutes after flight.  We're currently monitoring for pings from the onboard android device.

Already have plenty of ideas for the next flight!  Including the addition of live picture transmissions.
-derek

HAB01.jpg
HAB01_APRS.JPG

annbo...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2015, 1:50:02 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com, derek...@yahoo.com
Wow - great pic! Was the recovery smooth?

Are you planning a launch at the GPSL in June? WE are going to share a balloon with someone at GPSL and then we want to do a launch down in Farmington in July. Would love some help with tracking... A few of us got licenses but I've been too chicken to launch. Our projected landing site is pretty rural. I also would like to have the help of someone experienced with Hydrogen.

Congrats on the successful launch!!

Ann

Derek Sigler

Mar 16, 2015, 2:41:43 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Deech

Mar 16, 2015, 4:35:40 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I hate to admit how much I laughed when the balloon popped and Spike was all "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

But then he fell off and I was sad.

Chris Weiss

Mar 16, 2015, 5:18:08 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
it was really impressive how long spiked stayed on.  long live spike!

Ann

Mar 16, 2015, 8:57:15 PM3/16/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Great video!!