Build out this Saturday, May 13?

Nathan Schrenk

May 10, 2017, 3:18:42 PM5/10/17
to Arch Reactor
There's no work day scheduled for this Saturday, but I was thinking about doing some build out work. Possible small projects:

1. Finish assembling the last shelving unit for the storage room. The shelves have been built, and just need to be mounted on 4 2x4 support boards. This is a 3-person task.

2. Finish the lattice around the front porch area.

3. Mudding & taping on the wall section containing the door to the storage room.

4. Make progress on the drywall work in the classroom. I think it's all been taped, except for a section by the server rack behind the remaining pile of drywall? But I imagine there are spots that need smoothing out.

5. Run some Ethernet drops.

Anyone else thinking about doing build out projects on Saturday?

Nathan

Myles Farrell

May 11, 2017, 4:16:02 PM5/11/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nathan thanks for posting this, I meant to last night but didn't get home until 1 am. I will be there. My thought was since it is going to be nice out and the doors and deck are also needed for permit close out we could start on them and save the drywall and ethernet for a rainy or insanely hot day.

Nathan

Nathan Schrenk

May 11, 2017, 4:35:52 PM5/11/17
to Arch Reactor
Okay, I expect to be there at 10am and stay until approximately 2:00pm. You make a good point about working on something outside while the weather is suitable.

I'm game to help you work on the deck for the back door. I've been intimidated about starting on that by myself: I haven't seen drawings for it, and am not sure how to get started.

If I were forced to start working on it I guess I would try to figure out how many posts were going to be needed to support it, where exactly those posts would be, then start working on digging out holes down to below the frost line for pouring some concrete footings, probably using a rented power auger. Then I'd buy some concrete tube forms of the appropriate diameter (8 inch?), place them in the holes, cut them off at the desired height (a few inches up from ground level?), pour the concrete, embed some anchor bolts in the center of each, and let it dry.

Nathan

Chris Weiss

May 11, 2017, 5:22:51 PM5/11/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
the drawing are next tot he donation box.

I may be able to be there in the morning.  I don't have tools for digging the post holes, and I have a rough idea of what's needed to prep for the headers, but it's not something I've done before either.

Myles Farrell

May 11, 2017, 5:46:02 PM5/11/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Nathan you pretty much nailed it what my thoughts were. Definitely grabbing an auger, it will do a better job and save us at least an hour. Chris, I like your idea for the headers, but looking at it the other day i'm not sure there is enough of a gap between that step and the level we need to allow us to embed bolts without the concrete flaking off in a year. I'm going to look at it again tonight. If not, my thought is to cut that step out and either anchor the header to the building or pour a new base entirely. Miriam's dad owns a professional grade concrete saw with hose hook up. I'm not sure why, but he does.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
the drawing are next tot he donation box.

I may be able to be there in the morning.  I don't have tools for digging the post holes, and I have a rough idea of what's needed to prep for the headers, but it's not something I've done before either.

Chris Weiss

May 11, 2017, 5:55:22 PM5/11/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
that step isn't concrete though, might even be granite.  not sure if that means a different blade or no difference at all.

I'm guessing jacking it back up and underfilling with concrete isn't really feasible?

Nathan Schrenk

May 11, 2017, 8:46:57 PM5/11/17
to Arch Reactor
Could we just drill holes into the existing steps for the bolts, and build a form on top /around them and pour concrete on top of the steps?

Chris Weiss

May 11, 2017, 10:29:11 PM5/11/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I think the issues is that the pour on top would be too thin.  I'm not sure why, pretty sure it'd be pretty close to 4+ inches.

Nathan Schrenk

May 13, 2017, 11:31:10 AM5/13/17
to Arch Reactor
For anyone following the thread, here are some photos of the drawings:

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
the drawing are next tot he donation box.

I may be able to be there in the morning.  I don't have tools for digging the post holes, and I have a rough idea of what's needed to prep for the headers, but it's not something I've done before either.

Frank Kallal

May 13, 2017, 12:00:03 PM5/13/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Damn it i knew there was something i was going to do this morning, after dropping the kids off in St. Charles

unfortunately I just got home, so I'm out for the day.

Frank..

Nathan Schrenk

May 13, 2017, 4:51:17 PM5/13/17
to Arch Reactor
Myles and I discovered that we will need to adjust the plans for the deck / stairs a bit. After extracting bricks from the location for the piers, we dug out the sand under the bricks and hit a layer of concrete. Since there's a concrete pad under the bricks we don't think it's necessary to pour 30" deep piers. We should be able to anchor shorter piers to the concrete pad.

We removed the concrete step that was in front of the door with Jacob's assistance. Now the deck can be attached directly to the building. All in all, a bit of progress, and we know more than we did before. I expect this deck project could be finished with two or three more shifts of work: one to pour some concrete for the piers, another to build the deck, and perhaps another to stain/seal the wood.