Volunteers wanted for May 21 Collinsville & Fairmont City Libraries visit to AR

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

Mar 31, 2016, 4:49:05 PM3/31/16
to Arch Reactor
Volunteers wanted for the May 21 Collinsville & Fairmont City Libraries field trip to Arch Reactor.

Please see the other thread regarding this field trip of about 30 students total from these libraries in IL on Saturday May 21 from 10:30am to 3:00pm.

I am seeking 6 to 8 volunteers for tours, leading activities, and demonstrations of our fun tools such as 3D printers, the laser cutter, the CNC machine, and the workshop(demos only). One activity I'd like to have them participate in is soldering a small project that they can take with them. The telepresence robot would be popular as would the pixie bots.

Leave a message here, in the other thread, or message me privately.

Gene

Frank Kallal

Mar 31, 2016, 5:00:20 PM3/31/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to be there..

Gene

Jim S

Apr 3, 2016, 9:50:09 AM4/3/16
to Arch Reactor
I plan to be there.  Lots of electronics experience, mostly hardware but some software.  Limited experience with CNC, laser, and 3d printing but wanting to learn more.  Limited to moderate experience with Fusion360 (3d CAD/CAM).

Tom Blevins

Apr 3, 2016, 8:47:01 PM4/3/16
to Arch Reactor
I should be available to help.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 17, 2016, 6:17:21 AM5/17/16
to Arch Reactor
I would like to plan for a meeting tonight at 7pm to discuss plans for this event on Saturday. If you have volunteered and can't make it, please let me know and I'll fill you in.

I'll likely be up there on this Friday night for a bit to prep and cleanup the space, too.

So far I have Frank, Jim, Tom, and Diane as volunteers. Anyone else interested?

Gene

Diane

May 17, 2016, 8:47:05 AM5/17/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I can't be there before 8 and likely it'll be later than that, sorry.

Diane <*>

Jim S

May 17, 2016, 10:06:13 AM5/17/16
to Arch Reactor
I am not going to make the meeting tonight.  FWIW a little more notice would help...

Andrew Ricke

May 17, 2016, 6:59:00 PM5/17/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in helping Saturday but am out of town until Friday.

Frank Kallal

May 17, 2016, 7:08:05 PM5/17/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I won't make the meeting tonight and I'm double booked on Saturday.... what time frame does the Collinsville of thing happen at the space

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 17, 2016, 7:59:54 PM5/17/16
to Arch Reactor
It is on the calendar as 10:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.

Gene

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 17, 2016, 8:01:40 PM5/17/16
to Arch Reactor
Jim, I apologize for the short notice. I often assume that people will just be there on Tuesday nights anyway.

Frank Kallal

May 18, 2016, 4:18:24 AM5/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

I'm Slated to help out with a little Bits thing Down in Kirkwood that I think you and Nathan work with.   I Should get out of there around 11am.  So I'll be back at the space at noon or so.  I'll stay until the end.  Slot me in where ever you need me :)

Frank

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Gene J. (GeekTinker) <gene....@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim, I apologize for the short notice. I often assume that people will just be there on Tuesday nights anyway.

Jim S

May 18, 2016, 11:08:25 AM5/18/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

Confirming I can help out on Saturday.  It's ok about Tuesday - but that's a bad night for me most of the time.  I don't think I have made it there on a Tuesday night yet.  Can I get the summary of the Tuesday meeting or some sort of agenda for Saturday?  What should I be prepared for - general help or something more specific?

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 19, 2016, 5:20:48 AM5/19/16
to Arch Reactor
With the exception of Frank, I'd like the volunteers to arrive on Saturday at 10 am. If anyone is unable to arrive by then, just let me know.

The current plan is to give them a tour of the space, possibly in small groups of 7 to 10 students. Then have the groups start in one of three or for stations:

1) Learning to Solder with the "I Can Solder" badge kits. One or two volunteers should be able to show them how to safely complete this task. We have enough eye protection and I have been advised to use it.

2) littleBits educational circuits. One volunteer can show them the basics. We should have enough kits for them to work around a central table and create something using the littleBits. Frank may be able to take over or jump in on this station if he wants to.

3) 3D printer demo. Some of the kids may know more about this topic than you might think as the Collinsville Library has two 3D printers and the some classes have been taught on them. Some emphasis on the software used to slice a project would be good.

4) Laser Cutter demo. I'd like to highlight the software used to design something to be cut, the different speeds and powers used to cut different materials, etc. If the kids can take home something small that was cut out, that would be great.

There will be a 30-minute break for lunch. Please pack a lunch or plan to eat after 3 pm once the students leave.

I'll have the x-large chessboard set up in case any of the kids want to play a game or two.

Be prepared to answer questions about Arch Reactor and it's members. These students all have parents or relatives who might be interested in becoming members once they hear about Arch Reactor from their children. Consider it educational and an outreach event. Invite them to come back with their parents for our open house in June.

Any further questions or suggestions?

Diane

May 19, 2016, 8:11:26 AM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
The only station I feel in any way able to cover is the laser station.

Designing something to be cut can take time.   I don't know if it would be possible to have each kid design their own "thing".    Cutting "something" for them is certainly possible, though.

Diane  <*>

Amberly Brown

May 19, 2016, 9:17:35 AM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I can't be there, I have a prior engagement. But, for the laser cutter, how about we use the ArchReactor gears we give out at events? The files are already on there, it is easy to scale up/down, and it shows both engraving with the laser AND cutting.

Just a thought.

Amberly

Jim S

May 19, 2016, 9:18:31 AM5/19/16
to Arch Reactor
How about doing a demo of the software used to prepare the thing to be cut but not doing the whole thing?   Basically a short walk through of the steps, then load the prepared in advance file to cut out the things.  I think what was mentioned earlier was doing the same for all that they could (optionally ) draw on or otherwise customize.

How about something simple with the arch reactor logo that they can add their name too?  If that's too much then just the logo.

If we are going to do more of these type classes I could see having some thing cut out on the laser (while they are there so they see it) that then gets some leds and such mounted with a simple circuit or maybe a micro to drive it.  Maybe a box or outline of some figure and then put blinky eyes and such on it.  It could be fairly simple or more complex.  I don't know exactly what the badge kit is but perhaps the plate for the badge could be what is cut out.  If there is time they might customize the design slightly before cutting although combining the groups designs for cutting might be cumbersome.

I'm not familiar with the badge kit but can help with soldering and getting them working.

Frank Kallal

May 19, 2016, 12:10:18 PM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'll Point out that Very LIttle "Design" is done in the Laser Cut Software.  Most Design in their Software of Choice.. inkscape, Coreldraw, Adobe Illustrator, and we Export over to LaserCut and then Place and Hit go.. :)

I'll second and Take even further Diane's statement about Kids Designing something to take home, There just isn't time.  I've been doing it for years and even I can spend upwards of 10 minutes on a simple File.

I would suggest setting up the AR computers,  I'm assuming they all have Inkscape on them, Loading a File (Ar Logo / Gears / whatever) and letting them Poke at it for a few minutes.then taking hem over to the laser and "Running" a Prepared and Ready File.  I would suggest the Little Tops that i think Chris did a couple years back.  they are mostly Vectored so they are fast, but i think they had the AR logo on them, so you see both Etch and Cut.  the Kids then have something they can take home and it can Do something (spin).

I would add another "station" especially if the Forecast Holds True, and it's 75 degrees and Simi-sunny, with no rain, and Have a "Game Station" Outside.  I have 3 Standees For Ladder Golf with Bolos for up to 6 Players (18 Bolo's), Your Giant Chess, I think I have a simi-large Checker set I can dig up, and the Space Jenga Set.  This can be used as a Station and as a Place to let them Run of energy if they finish Prior to 3PM.  (As someone that Deals with Kids all the Time after a Teaching experience, a Release like this will make her trip back to Collinsville much easier.)

anyway .. My thoughts :)

Frank

Diane

May 19, 2016, 12:43:28 PM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Re: Laser, I'd like to have something they can add words to to take home.   Not sure I have time to pre-prep all the things, though.    Gears at the very least.

Which stations will need the laptops?    IF they have Inkscape I'd like to use them if others aren't.

Diane  <*>

Frank Kallal

May 19, 2016, 12:56:54 PM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Are they Bussing over, or are we getting alot of Cars over?  If we are getting alot of Cars then you are going to have parking issues again.

Gene Jordan

May 19, 2016, 5:20:10 PM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I apologize for not being clear about the laser cutter station.
My intentions were not to have then design something and cut it on the laser, just to show them some of the software that was available for design, then let them take something home from a file that was cut by us, such as our wooden gears or our logo from acrylic.

Similar to the 3D printer demo, only we won't have something 3D printed for them all to take home.

The "use up excess energy" station is a great idea, Frank. They likely won't want to leave us.

Gene

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Arch Reactor" group.

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 19, 2016, 5:24:08 PM5/19/16
to Arch Reactor
Also, here is the latest email from Kyla. If you would like lunch on Saturday in the form of a free sub sandwich, please let me know soon and I'll pass the number along to Kyla. Also, if you gave dietary concerns over what might served, let me know that as well.

------------------

Hi Gene,

We have about 17 teens and 3 chaperones signed up at this time, with the potential for probably another 10 last-minute sign-ups. The activities you have lined up sound great! We'll be bringing lunch (sub sandwiches) and drinks with us. If you'd like for us to provide meals for the Arch Reactor volunteers, we'd be happy to do so. All we need to know is if anyone has a dietary concern (vegetarian, allergies, etc.) we should be aware of.

I can't think of anything else to prepare for, but please let me know if you think of anything.

Frank Kallal

May 19, 2016, 5:50:22 PM5/19/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for a free Lunch :)  woohoo  LOL

Also I'll Drop Ladderball off on my way to the Library  so it should be there before them :)

Frank

Jim S

May 19, 2016, 10:53:36 PM5/19/16
to Arch Reactor
Please put me on the list for lunch too.  I'm an omnivore.  :)  Thanks,  Jim

Derek Sigler

May 20, 2016, 3:50:28 PM5/20/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Diane,
My laser files for the Star Wars ships may be fun for kids with dexterity.  They are under my folder on the desktop.  They take about 12 minutes to cut out.
-derek

Frank Kallal

May 21, 2016, 10:13:26 AM5/21/16
to Arch Reactor
Overslept I've go t time to make it to my event but not time to get there before your event so I'll show up with ladder golf at around noon

Jim S

May 21, 2016, 10:46:18 AM5/21/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

what's the deal ? There are no vehicles here. I thought I would be late.