Balloon Payload Retrieval

Derek Sigler

Jun 8, 2016, 2:08:51 PM6/8/16
to Arch Reactor
To follow up on our discussion from Tuesday night.
We have two payloads stuck in trees at about 80 and 100 ft.  Tonight I'm testing some slingshot stuff like this:
However, I'm not confident it's going to get us high enough.  Ideas??
I'm also putting a call out for archers that may be able to help us.
Lastly, at this point in the discussion, nobody will be climbing the tree.
Thanks,
-derek

David Diederich

Jun 8, 2016, 2:44:56 PM6/8/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any photos of the payload in the trees and area surrounding?

What is needed, bump it out of the tree, snag and pull down, cut lines and then pull down?

Are the payloads stuck near the top of the trees?

Drone?

Kite?

Long poles?  (I have poles that will reach 50 feet - but 80 or 90 is another issue)

Arborist sling shot?

Keith Rogers

Jun 8, 2016, 3:11:41 PM6/8/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Derek - Ryan and I had good luck using an off the shelf sling shot (wrist rocket style) with a cheap attached fishing reel.  An oversized bouncy ball (super ball) was attached to the line with zip ties I believe.  It had enough weight to hurl the line through a tree as needed to pull a larger rope up after and shake, pull, etc to retrieve.

Sent from my mobile device

jimski...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2016, 11:05:47 PM6/8/16
to Arch Reactor
Here are a few ideas...

http://www.robotroom.com/Rocket-Stuck-In-A-Tree.html

I like the drone suggestion.

If none of those work I have a moderately large chainsaw. :)

Andrew Ricke

Jun 8, 2016, 11:46:40 PM6/8/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
This article reinforces my initial thought that 80 and 100 ft are exaggerated. :)

Derek Sigler

Jun 9, 2016, 10:10:15 AM6/9/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

These photos don't do it justice because the bottoms are missing. That a 5 ft parachute. and it's hard to see the payloads.
-derek

ARPayload.jpg
SLSF Balloon in Tree.jpg

Derek Sigler

Jun 9, 2016, 10:16:56 AM6/9/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Those previous posts were the same payload.  Here's the actual AR payload which is higher up about 8 miles away from SLSF (St. Louis Space Frontiers) payload.  It's in the middle, but hard to see.  Also SLSF is in a tree line, ours is in the top of heavy woods.

ARPayload.jpg

Tom Blevins

Jun 10, 2016, 11:50:46 AM6/10/16
to Arch Reactor, derek...@yahoo.com
Is that a giant hornet's nest in the tree just to the left of the parachutes?

-Tom

Derek Sigler

Jun 10, 2016, 12:22:44 PM6/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
No.  That's the actual Styrofoam cooler payload.

Myles Farrell

Jun 10, 2016, 3:32:14 PM6/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I do have a compound bow capable of making it up there. However, even with a blunt rabbit tip i think the likelihood of it penetrating the cooler and damaging the payload are decently high. I would keep this as a backup option for when all others have been exhausted; when getting some of the payload back even if some is damaged is better than losing all of it.

Keith Rogers

Jun 10, 2016, 3:42:54 PM6/10/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Sling shot and large bouncy ball with fishing line attached... Almost guarantee it will get there.

However, a farmer with large caliber hand cannon worked last time so you could just go with what worked before :-P

Sent from my mobile device

On Jun 10, 2016, at 2:32 PM, Myles Farrell <mylesmich...@gmail.com> wrote:

I do have a compound bow capable of making it up there. However, even with a blunt rabbit tip i think the likelihood of it penetrating the cooler and damaging the payload are decently high. I would keep this as a backup option for when all others have been exhausted; when getting some of the payload back even if some is damaged is better than losing all of it.

Derek Sigler

Jun 27, 2016, 4:37:22 PM6/27/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
After agreeing to enroll in some tree climbing classes, we got a sweetheart deal to get our payloads down.  Here's a picture of Guy (pronounced Ghee) up in the tree.  Can you find him?

SF_Balloon_retreival.jpg

Derek Sigler

Jun 27, 2016, 4:41:06 PM6/27/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Here's Dustin and Guy with all our stuff.  The tall slingshot is just amazing.

Found payloads.jpg

Don Ellis

Jun 30, 2016, 1:19:22 PM6/30/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I wish the vendor had photos of the slingshot in action.

Speaking of balloon launches...
When I was in college, it was common for residents to build a super slingshot to fire water balloons greater distances. Surgical tubing held by two large, tall guys, while a third pulled back on the pouch. They could loft a balloon over a four story building, into the quad beyond. Sometimes fell short and broke roof tiles (not good - were charged by their executive board). One time they tested using an apple core over a clear range. Don't remember how far, but was quite respectable.

Maybe this could work next time; practically zero cost. Maybe not accurate enough, but with practice... ?

--Don Ellis

Tom Blevins

Jul 1, 2016, 2:48:11 PM7/1/16
to Arch Reactor
I had one of the balloon slingshots when I was working with Youth.
They shot far the trouble was coming up with a 3 person team.
-Tom