brick house electrician recomendaton?

Chris Weiss

Sep 24, 2016, 7:40:30 PM9/24/16
to Arch Reactor
I have a wall switch that's inside a brick wall that has a shorted wire.  anyone know someone that knows how to fix that without having a surface mount conduit?

Tony Strawhun

Sep 24, 2016, 9:22:03 PM9/24/16
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Only other option I know of is to attach new wire to the end of your existing wire and use the existing wire to fish the new wire through the wall. Not easy if there was wire anchors or clips installed...but better than trying to fish tape guide new wire through

On Sep 24, 2016 18:40, "Chris Weiss" <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a wall switch that's inside a brick wall that has a shorted wire.  anyone know someone that knows how to fix that without having a surface mount conduit?

Chris Weiss

Sep 24, 2016, 11:17:47 PM9/24/16
to Arch Reactor
Also pretty sure it's in flex conduit in the brick, which doesn't pull or fish well.  At least I don't know the trick to it.

Jim S

Sep 26, 2016, 12:48:52 PM9/26/16
to Arch Reactor
I would check both ends of the run carefully as it is likely the issue is there unless it's new construction.  Is this new or old wiring?  If it's really old is the insulation cracking?  Fishing new wire can be a very time intensive thing so if you can avoid that by putting some sleeving on the end or something like that it would be a lot less trouble.

You could find the location using a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer).  They make expensive equipment to do it but a signal generator and a scope is basically what they are and will work fine.  You send a pulse down the wire, it is reflected back at the short and you time between the transmitted edge and returning reflection.  Not as complicated as it sounds and I have found the location of several issues that way.  Probably are some youtube videos on how to do it...

Chris Weiss

Sep 26, 2016, 1:23:02 PM9/26/16
to Arch Reactor
it's very old wiring, the insulation looks ok where I can see, so I suspect it's where the metal box clamps on the wire.  there's 2 switches for lights branched off the same run, and I do see a 3V voltage difference between them, but I wrote that off to one having a bulb and the other not, but I don't know if that's right.

I hadn't considered sleeving it, I might try that even though I can't see any issue.  cheap to try, thanks for that suggestion