Next First Friday theme...

Chris Weiss

Mar 10, 2015, 4:45:46 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
... is Jurassic Park. Ideas?

Michael Kuba

Mar 10, 2015, 9:16:39 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Two monitors looping the screens in this scene? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
... is Jurassic Park.  Ideas?

Xsfx2000

Mar 10, 2015, 10:39:27 PM3/10/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Um, 3d printed dinos,  laser cut dino skeletons, small velociraptors with servo motion necks? Ummm...

On Mar 10, 2015 3:45 PM, "Chris Weiss" <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
... is Jurassic Park.  Ideas?

Morganism

Mar 11, 2015, 10:02:35 AM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Similarly, my first thought was a large 3d printed T-rex skull. My kids suggested a 3-d printed T-rex or Velociraptor from the movie. Even unpainted, everyone will know that iconic Velociraptor pose with its head turned looking backwards.

What I thought would be really cool (and I do not know how to do this) is to simulate the seismic shaking of the T-rex with a table that shakes with a glass of water on it while some thumping/pounding music and/or sound effects are going in the background.

Just thoughts.

Xsfx2000

Mar 11, 2015, 1:00:26 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Maybe a hand drill, with an offset weight, the battery compartment alligator clipped to a battery and an Arduino controlled relay, so a program turns on the motor in bursts simulating footfalls of something.... t-rex like...

Xsfx2000

Mar 11, 2015, 1:01:20 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

...Attached to the bottom of a table.

Xsfx2000

Mar 11, 2015, 1:02:32 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

That's right, a t-rex attached to the bottom of a table (cough, cough)

Chris Weiss

Mar 11, 2015, 1:04:22 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
wonder how hard it would be to sync something with the big t-rex... I
believe it's on a timer, so just a reset at the right time could work

Diane Sudduth

Mar 11, 2015, 1:16:58 PM3/11/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Thingiverse has a lot of dinosaur items, including a few laser-cut puzzles (and most have comments saying "I'm not sure the slots are right yet")

There was a file of 3-d printed dinosaur stencils which could allow kids to trace the stencil and "draw" their own dinosaur scene.   If we have space, paper, pens, and crayons it could be fun for the kids.    I wonder if the science center has anything in Classroom AB for this...  We could technically set up an "art room" or a "draw your own scene from the movie" sort of thing with just a few props and a small investment in crayons....

Small wood or acrylic simple outline shapes of various dinosaurs.   If wood - etched with "archreactor.org", possibly with a "loop" so it becomes a necklace with a piece of yarn or ribbon.

Chris Weiss

Mar 13, 2015, 11:45:00 AM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I got verification that the big dino is on a timed loop. we could
make something happen at our table that syncs up with that loop

Diane

Mar 13, 2015, 11:53:53 AM3/13/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I was talking to Jenny about ideas for Game Nite and mentioned the stencil idea.   I've promised to make her a set of dinosaur stencils for their Maker Space.

If anyone would like to help with this you are most welcome!   I'm going to use the laser (I know you are shocked!) but 3d printed stencils would also be great!    Donations of 1/8" acrylic also appreciated...

I figure I may as well laser-cut small dinosaur "charms" as well...

di  <*>

Diane Sudduth

Mar 18, 2015, 12:30:13 AM3/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

I make no promises, but IF you are ordering an embroidered shirt and IF you are planning to attend April First Friday, please let me know and I'll try to get you a shirt by then.

Di  <*>

Bob S.

Mar 18, 2015, 3:55:49 PM3/18/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I am intending on being at the next "First Friday".

-Bob

Chris Weiss

Mar 20, 2015, 11:56:30 AM3/20/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
is there any allotted material for making more laser cut give-away
tokens? and if not, if anyone is picking up some materials soon can
they pick some up, and can that be reimbursed out of "advertising
funds" is so requested?

Diane

Mar 20, 2015, 12:08:29 PM3/20/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Are you looking for a specific give-away token or something specifically dinosaurish for April?

I have plywood and will cut gears for giveaways. I promised Jenny some laser-cut dinosaur stencils for April so thought I'd cut smaller (1-inch-ish) for us to give away in 2 weeks. I need to get some acrylic for that.

If anyone wants to cut some gears the file is in my directory on the laser computer, though I'll be up there plenty in the next two weeks.

I did manage a few dozen gears last Tuesday. They are in the box.

Sometime probably next weekend I'll be picking up more 1/8" plywood. If you have specific ideas please let me know and I can pick up extra.

di <*>

Chris Weiss

Mar 20, 2015, 12:09:57 PM3/20/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
yes, just the gears, they are quite popular

Diane

Mar 20, 2015, 12:31:29 PM3/20/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Tom had alerted me to the fact that we were out so I started cutting more on Tuesday and will restock the box before First Friday. No worries.

If anyone would like to design other gear shapes that would be Awesome!!

di <*>

On Mar 20, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Chris Weiss <cwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, just the gears, they are quite popular

Travis Megee

Mar 20, 2015, 1:08:29 PM3/20/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com

Travis

Morganism

Mar 20, 2015, 1:18:09 PM3/20/15
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
There are several laser cut dinosaur puzzles on Thingiverse.com

Maybe have some sheets of puzzles for kids to punch out and put together? I think the pterodactilus is the smallest one.