laptop setup "party"

Chris Weiss

May 2, 2017, 7:24:18 PM5/2/17
to Arch Reactor
We received a donation of several i3/i5/i7 laptops, and they all need a clean OS install and all the apps we need installed.

If you never done this before, I assure you that you can be trained quite easily.

what days/hours works for people?

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 3, 2017, 9:43:41 AM5/3/17
to Arch Reactor
I can help on a weekday later in the evening 7pm until about 9:30pm. I could stay later on a Friday

Garrett Gaddy

May 4, 2017, 3:05:19 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
I'd be up for it, Friday would be better for me, are you thinking of installing over the network or just doing each one by one?

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 3:33:11 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Max has offered to setup a PXE with a sysprep image to deploy them, will probably still need manual config after that, or if we decide to dual boot that will need done too.

Garrett Gaddy

May 4, 2017, 4:17:08 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
If we decide to go dual boot are you thinking Windows and Linux? I've got a bunch of spare DVDs I can burn copies of Ubuntu 16 onto. Heck now that I think about it I've got access to copies of the Windows 10 insider edition if we want some of those as well...

Kevin

May 4, 2017, 5:03:46 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
I can help. My schedule is open.

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 5:14:53 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
sounds like friday works best for most, let's tentatively target 5/12 at 7PM, depending on what Max has in mind.

if someone wants to try and make a custom linux install, I've used this method before
https://nathanpfry.com/how-to-customize-an-ubuntu-installation-disc/

I think we'd want inkscape, gimp, openscad, offical arduino (not the one in the repo), Processing 2 and 3, cura, slic3r. any others?  some of these may require manual install after the OS install.

we'll probably have our hands full with windows though, as well as making sure the other laptops are up to date.

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 5:16:52 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
Almost forgot!  If anyone has a source for cheap/free dell power bricks we could use about 5.

Garrett Gaddy

May 4, 2017, 5:52:14 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 4:14:53 PM UTC-5, ||cw wrote:
sounds like friday works best for most, let's tentatively target 5/12 at 7PM, depending on what Max has in mind.

that works for me I guess, my high school graduation is the day after so that'll be interesting...

I think we'd want inkscape, gimp, openscad, offical arduino (not the one in the repo), Processing 2 and 3, cura, slic3r. any others?
openscad does 3D... does anybody ever need 2D? LibreCAD would be good for that...

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 5:56:29 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
you can do 2d with openscad, just leave Z zero.  I usually just use inkscape since most 2/2.5D stuff tends to want an SVG.

Message has been deleted

Garrett Gaddy

May 4, 2017, 6:00:06 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
Could I get specs? or will it matter? I've got a small PC parts store near me I can check.

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 6:03:08 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
likely doesn't matter as long as it's standard Dell plug.

Garrett Gaddy

May 4, 2017, 6:08:02 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
if someone wants to try and make a custom linux install, I've used this method before
https://nathanpfry.com/how-to-customize-an-ubuntu-installation-disc/

sorry for kind of spamming messages but is there anything we DON'T want?
I.e. thunderbird, Sudoku...

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 6:30:57 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
yeah, removing that kind of stuff would save space

Morganism

May 4, 2017, 6:37:36 PM5/4/17
to Arch Reactor
I am interested. Sounds like fun!

Frank Kallal

May 4, 2017, 7:39:07 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
@Morgan,

you have a weird Definition for Fun..

I might be able to make it, Kinda depends on how tomorrow Rolls out for me.

Frank

Chris Weiss

May 4, 2017, 8:21:59 PM5/4/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
next week.  tomorrow is first friday
Message has been deleted

Garrett Gaddy

May 5, 2017, 12:49:28 AM5/5/17
to Arch Reactor

Processing 2 and 3, as well as the Arduino IDE, will have to be installed manually. This is mainly because I'm not familiar with Processing and don't want to install the wrong one and downloading the Arduino IDE is hard via command line, a PHP handler makes using wget act funny. Good news is I've got everything else on a 32-bit version of the custom distro built, next question:
Do we want a 64-bit one as well?

Gene J. (GeekTinker)

May 5, 2017, 9:28:14 AM5/5/17
to Arch Reactor
I have us covered on Dell power bricks/cables.

Chris Weiss

May 5, 2017, 10:40:57 AM5/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure there's any good reason to use a 32bit distro on a i3 or better...

Brad Tissi

May 5, 2017, 10:56:01 AM5/5/17
to Arch Reactor
I can likely join for the 12th.

This would be for another time, but Ann down at Lab:Revolution has a number of computers that need hardware checked/re-installed as well. If anyone here is willing, we can set up a day to go down there and get a small lab up and running for them.

Garrett Gaddy

May 5, 2017, 11:17:07 AM5/5/17
to Arch Reactor
I thought 32 vs 64-bit was related to how much ram the system could utilize at once? But at least the 64-bit distro should go pretty quick now that I sorta know what I'm doing ;)

Chris Weiss

May 5, 2017, 11:38:37 AM5/5/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
it is.  most of these are 4GB, and due to how hardware mapping works you need 64bit to fully use more than 3GB.

Garrett Gaddy

May 5, 2017, 11:50:43 AM5/5/17
to Arch Reactor
Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying.

Brad Tissi

May 12, 2017, 7:32:24 PM5/12/17
to arch-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry to say that I'm apparently going to Ohio and won't be able to help tonight.

Please let me know if there's more to do for another night.