Pivot for Ara Pilot, potential changes to the program?

Ben Ferguson

Aug 18, 2015, 4:38:20 PM8/18/15
to Ara Module Developers
With the market pilot pivot, I have been wondering if the whole program may pivot slightly. I still think modular electronics are the future, but perhaps the mobile phone space isn't quite right. Is there potential for the knowledge the ARA team has gained to be put to better use on something like an automotive head unit? I think there have been a lot of power limitations, so perhaps something that was always connected to a power source is a better opportunity. Besides people have already shown (and it is rather obvious) replacing a phone isn't quite as big of a problem as replace auto parts. I can imagine with the arrival of Android Auto, wanting to improve your car's computer specs will become a lot more common. I don't know if anyone else in this community has given this any thought, but something like that would definitely change the ideas I have for modules.

Tim Southwick

Aug 18, 2015, 8:40:13 PM8/18/15
to Ara Module Developers
Actually, I believe cars are far more modular than smartphones. The physical size of any of those components is significantly larger than any smartphone component, many of them are larger than the entire smartphone. This leads to another issue: the technology being developed for Ara are intended to be built at a reasonable size for smartphones, not for cars. As durable as the Ara modules are supposed to be, I doubt many of them could handle the requirements of automobiles.

Antonio Hurtado Jr.

Aug 18, 2015, 8:49:26 PM8/18/15
to Ara Module Developers
when it comes to vechiles there are more safety regulations, so having parts that can quickly detach would cause concerns. if not done right a small collision could cause parts flying which we already see with current methods. although i would like to change a tire in 2 mins on the side of the road by simply pulsing off the magnets to that wheel. but imagen i faulty magnet lets the tire fly off ehen you fit a speed bump

Tim Southwick

Aug 19, 2015, 7:17:55 PM8/19/15
to Ara Module Developers
Cars already use interchangeable and compatible parts.

D1080

Aug 20, 2015, 8:52:49 AM8/20/15
to Ara Module Developers
Wrong wrong and very wrong, mobile devices are the absolutely best bet to fuel adoption of modular devices, and Ara is simply delayed not suspended.

I am positive that this delay will result in a much better product, so lets just hand back and play with our current smartphones for a while.

Ben Ferguson

Aug 20, 2015, 9:19:31 AM8/20/15
to Ara Module Developers
It appears that there is a fundamental misunderstanding of my original post. I didn't mean to suggest making an entire car out of ara modules. I meant making the head unit. The radio thingy. Android Auto is a piece of software that goes into the radio thingy. If this software gets updated as often as most software, my car won't be able to run the new goodness after 3 years. I don't have enough money to buy a new car every year, and buying a whole new head unit seems like it would be a bit over kill if all it needed was more RAM or something.