Modular Router Speculation!!

Garrett Kinsman

Sep 24, 2016, 8:39:26 AM9/24/16
to Ara Module Developers
Anyone want to speculate on Google's Modular home router expected to be announced OCT 4?

The article claims it will be similar to Eero. I've spoken with eero, these are highly capable (Yet expensive) 2.4/5.8 devices capable of operating public hotspots and building last mile infrastructure.

On Hub tear downs also reveal highly capable yet seemingly experimental device (Perhaps capable of beam forming with antenna arrays).

The idea of modularity is especially intriguing a Fiber claims to be switching to completely wireless 802.11ad 60GHz. A 24V POE module atop this router would be great for powering Siklu 60GHz radios, and offering Wi-Fi. A backup battery perfect for deploying rural infrastructure.

I've been dreaming of such a device for some time. Anyone still on these forums, I'd love to talk.

If you're in Bangalore/Delhi, I'll be meeting with Government TRAI + Facebook/Google on business models for this technology. We're looking for bright minds to join the event.

GK